Vanity License Plates for Electric MINI Coopers

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Sep 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ghost

ghost Active Member

I want to get a black plate for my moonwalk grey/black. It's the same cost to personalize it vs. random sequence. Possibilities:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for reviving this thread. I'm disappointed more SE owners haven't contributed to it.

You have some good ideas. If I couldn't have gotten my ELEKTRO plate (see above), I was considering ECO MINI, MINI EV and BZZZZZZ (I once had HMMMM for my rotary-engined 1989 Mazda RX-7, echoing this even older TV ad:

).

ghost likes this.
  4. Melanie Sullivan

Melanie Sullivan New Member

5C670D92-3F38-402D-A44D-A514C7AF32BA.jpeg

Finally settled on this. FUN EV, COOP EV and KW MINI were other available ideas.

5. insightman

I like it! Welcome to the friendliest car forum there is. We all wave at the screen every time we log in.

endquote and GetOffYourGas like this.
  6. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

After seeing this, I have to wonder if MINI ever thought of calling the SE, the MIN-E-Cooper.

However, that could get mispronounced "Mine Cooper," which would certainly sound German...

Reminds me of the movie That Thing You Do, when the band "The Oneders" was called "The /oh NEE ders/.

SameGuy and wessy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Their first EV conversion was called the Mini E, so "yes" in that they thought of it, but probably "no" in that they didn't want to confuse people by reusing that name on the new incarnation.

F14Scott likes this.
  9. insightman

I wish MINI hadn't already called their Countryman Hybrid the "SE" before naming the electric version of the MINI Cooper S the "SE." It made googling very frustrating in 2019 and 2020, when I was searching for any possible tidbit of information about the car I was waiting for.

wessy and MichaelC like this.
  10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

What are they going to call the new generation Countryman that will be full electric? It sounds like the hybrid is going away, but maybe if it stays MINI will have a real branding problem.

11. insightman

I take a photo of every MINI with a vanity plate--even the ICE MINIs. I saw this MINI Cooper S at Costco and was surprised to read the sticker at the bottom of the rear window when I zoomed the photo when I got home. Are we driving clown cars?

upload_2021-11-4_22-14-0.png
    And what's up with driving around with a tow-hook dangling from the bumper?

Martha and MichaelC like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I think it's a joke because the MINI is small, not meant to be derogatory. Check out this original BMW MINI ad.

And I can't figure out the tow hook thing at all.

wessy, Lainey, Newkirk and 1 other person like this.
  14. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

LOL, that decal is right up there with the ones that say "Actual Size" and "Undercompensating".

insightman and F14Scott like this.
  15. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

As I understand the tow hooks, real track racers have them installed so that if they have a mechanical malfunction on the track, the safety truck can zip up, throw a chain on the hook, and whisk the car clear without having to do the full tow docking procedure in harm's way.

So, all the Fast and Furious wannabes sport the hooks, now.

16. fasttr

fasttr Member

Well, I’ve had this plate since 2014. Now on the Mini SE. It’s been true for every car I’ve ever owned… IMG_0184.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

17. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Technically it's true for every car ever made :p

ghost likes this.
  18. ghost

ghost Active Member

I ordered my vanity plate here in CA. Usually takes 6-8 weeks, but the website says to expect up to 9 months!

Didn't want my plate to look personalized in case I really piss someone off, so went w B71B00. Any guesses? (Hint: this is for a moonwalk grey SE.)

19. LaurieS

LaurieS Active Member

4F6EB1F2-72DF-48EE-BA22-E564083C1E26.jpeg

Got my plate in a week. I call him “Boogie” ;)

20. Wellcome to the UK!
    Legal plates are reflective white to the front and reflective yellow to the rear. Numbers/letteres have to be black only, so your limited to the plain flat type, or the raised gel ones which can be glossy. As long as they are not reflective, shaded or removable. I used to have some frames for my plates that I used on my R56, but like an idiot, I let them go with the car:(

21. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

My plate is personalised with my initials and a favourite number. It also means it hides the car’s age which can be nice. I’ve had the same one on the last three cars and I intend keeping it until I stop driving. We don’t have the same freedom with licence plates that the US does. No nice colours and we’re not even supposed to change the spacing if we bought a number plate whose characters might almost spell out a word if you reduce the gaps, add a black screw and squint hard enough.
    I do like the green band on my plate which signifies it’s a BEV. I feel like people see so many Minis around and may not know about an electric version, so seeing the green band (assuming they know what it means) might raise awareness that there’s an electric version of this cult car that doesn’t look weird.

wessy likes this.
  22. wessy

wessy Active Member

My first thought was Pantone/hex color codes, but #b71b00 is a shade of red. Is that red considered complementary to Moonwalk Grey, perhaps?

Anyway, if those are color codes, I love that idea for a plate! :cool:

ghost likes this.
  23. The best plate I have seen on a MINI Cooper Convertible (not electric but still clever) runs around in Ottawa (ON not KS)

SPF ZERO

Mike Wazowski
    & more ️ than &

wessy, insightman and MichaelC like this.