I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. That is true. I made one extra monthly payment from the time I accepted their offer and surrendering the car. It takes time for them to process everything and issue a refund in the form of check for the overpayment. I called them few times to make sure I am getting this money back. They confirmed I am getting a check in the mail. My monthly payment was $782 and the check is for a little less - $769 but it is close enough.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EMUL

EMUL New Member

I am also in CT with a 2019 Kona EV. Raised a ticket (initially June 28), got a call back to gather info 7/7, then a denial callback on 7/12. Said I did not meet "repurchasing guidelines", and that her analysis of this was "Hyundai proprietary". She then said I was welcome to research CT Lemon Law myself. Seems they think CT would deny a lemon law application, so won't proactively do the buyback. I submitted the required "notice" letter to Hyundai that I was going to pursue CT Lemon Law, then filled out all the CT paperwork. Between the letter and CT maybe can apply enough pressure for a buyback.

4. I think the reason you got a rejection is because a remedy is now available (i.e. a new battery). If, however, they can't replace the battery within 30 days, then you might still have a chance with the CT Lemon Law.

5. For those that have completed the buyback process, have you cancelled your BlueLink subscription and/or deleted the car from your BlueLink profile? The iPhone app doesn't give me an option to remove the car, and the website is just spinning and won't let me select any options. I called, but they seemed very confused and just kept insisting that I do it via the website (which I kept reminding them it doesn't work). After playing "who's on first" with them for way too long, I just hung up. Anyone else have any better luck?

6. Addison Chappell

Addison Chappell New Member

I was just able to pick up my car from the dealership even though the battery has NOT been replaced (yet). If you are insistent AND promise to park outside, charge to 80%, etc... they may actually let you take the car back and simply replace the batteries when they arrive at the dealership. I've been waiting for 3 weeks already and still no word from Hyundai on buyback nor dealer about the status of batteries being delivered...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Addison Chappell

Addison Chappell New Member

I finally talked to my case manager. It seems that Hyundai is no longer buying back cars and instead are instructing you to get the battery swapped at the dealership. The dealership called me yesterday and told me that the battery arrived and to bring the car in for the switch. If all goes well, I should have the car back tomorrow with the new battery. Start to finish: 24 days.

9. Part of me is really pissed about the U.S. appears to be getting priority for new batteries but the rational part of me knows it's just because their government had the good sense to pass strong consumer protection laws. I wish Canada had such a system. Our legislators are too timid to ever demand that a corporation might actually be required to meet common sense standards of performance.

10. Our saga continues...

Car has been at dealer with a dead battery after the recall and software update since May 10. We started a case shortly after that date and were first told we would be getting a battery. Sometime in July after much pestering of our non-communicative case manager, we were given a new case manager although she wasn't much better. Constantly asked about buyback but nothing happened. then got a call from Hyundai saying a battery would be there in 2 weeks. When it never showed to dealer we complained again and got put into buyback. Sedgwick asked for all our documents which we sent on July 15th. Then we discovered that someone had entered the wrong VIN number on our lease (which I thought I had straightened our about a year ago. Got Sedgwick the correct VIN the day i returned all our documents, but apparently they were still having difficulties with knowing which was the correct VIN. They called and said there would be a delay as they fixed this new issue. Hyundai then called around July 23rd to confirm the correct VIN. We went on vacation thinking this was all settled. On Friday I checked in with our Sedgwick rep to see where things were. He informed me that our case was sent back to Hyundai for re-evaluation and re-assignment and that he was no longer involved. When I asked what we do now he suggested calling our former case manager. Tried that and no one answered and never even went to voice mail. I also tried Hyundai case management direct numbers and got messages their system was not taking messages and to try the dealer with any Hyundai issues. Then tried every number I could find and finally got a customer service rep to whom I explained everything and said not having our car for 3 months is unacceptable. She said she could not find any open case for us and would set up a new expedited case--so guess if I hadn't called nothing would have happened?? Anyway, her notion of expedited was I should hear from someone within 5-10 days. I pointed out that is what every rep I've talked to said so that time frame didn't seem expedited, but was not sure what else I could do.

So now it's unclear where we stand. Dealer still does not have a battery. Our case is no longer at Sedgwick and it seems we are back to square one waiting for a "new" case to be set up. We live in NYS and our mileage is under the 18,000 lemon law limit. However we are also coming up on NYS's 2 year time limit for filing under the lemon law which is the first week of September. If we don't hear from anyone within 5-10 days, we will submit a lemon law claim, but that can also take a few months--NYS has up to 35 days to respond and then another 35 days for abitration and who knows how long to get resolution.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

11. Oh man, sorry to hear. I think you've really done everything you can.

It all boils down to "America, the land of customer service: a myth long standing".

Very disappointing.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I would start the lemon law process now and let Hyundai know that is what you are pursuing. I doubt they will want to go through that cumbersome process knowing they will be on the losing side, so it might kick them into high gear.

14. Anyone who turned in your car for the buyback. Do they ever schedule returning the car on a Saturday? It would be so nice to drop my Kona off and Uber to Tesla to pick up my Model 3. One can dream... Supposed to schedule bringing the Kona in this week.

Edit: And I also got a call from Hyundai today to schedule my battery replacement. Totally made me have mixed feelings about the buyback, but ultimately, after looking at that blue color for the 2022 (like the ceramic blue so much better!), I'm happy with my decision.

15. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

It seems like it is up to your specific Sedgewick agent. Mine seemed to pretty much schedule his own stuff. I will say that the dealership needs to be open because it needs to complete paperwork to accept the car.
    However, mine was not on a Saturday. YMMV.

16. BMKoNa

BMKoNa New Member

Update from California:
    Buy back complete. Sedgewick agent met me at the local Hyundai dealership, did an inspection and handed me a generous check.
    Started at the beginning of June. The process took just over 2 months.
    Now on the waitlist for a Model Y. I liked the Kona EV, but will not deal with Hyundai again.

Jonathan in France, BC-Doc and Ronny like this.
  17. DelRider

DelRider Member

See, this is why folks are twitchy. Addison doesn't say where he's from, but here in the states, when you first take your Kona in they install software so you CAN'T charge over 80%, even if it says 100% on the dash. That's a two-day service visit. They then send you home with your Kona to wait until a battery comes in. I still haven't received a call-back for a new battery, so his experience of 24 day turn around is not the norm in these parts.
    Point being: Hyundai has so bungled this situation as to be considered for a master class of how NOT to handle a public facing situation. Inconsistent messaging, dealers who are more in the dark than owners, lack of clarity on where individual vehicles stand on the list for a battery replacement. And so on. I can relate to BMKoNa, the vehicle is great, but in this case the company isn't inspiring confidence.
    /rant-off

18. Well, Hyundai certainly isn't the only one, if you go look at the Bolt forums. Seems like customer service is a lost art these days. We bought a new fridge (expensive top of the line) from a major appliance retailer last year. It arrived with some dents, which we unfortunately didn't see until it was in the house. You wouldn't believe what I had to go through to finally get them to replace that fridge.

Having said that, I am not really unhappy with Hyundai and my dealer. When I finally called corporate, they actually did get to the bottom of the problem with my not getting the $250 gift card. And my dealer has always been responsive and seemed to try and get that problem resolved. Everything else with my car service and recalls has gone well, so far. Now just waiting for my battery replacement, and no issues so far with that. AND the car is working great, even like it better than we first bought it. So happy with that.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  19. I don't think that's true. I got all software updates that are out there and I can still charge to 100% if I choose so (in the car, not BlueLink!).
    And I still have the full range, so the full 64kWh of the whole battery.

However I only charge higher than 80% if I really need the range. Which unfortunately it's almost any trip out of town here in New Mexico.

Ronny likes this.
  20. Not only is it not true, after I had the P29 campaign update performed I checked the charge limit when I got home and it was set to 100% (I had it set to 80% when I brought it in). There is a LOT of incompetence in the Hyundai organization.

21. I was definitely still able to charge to 100% after the P29 update. I didn't, but I could if I wanted to. I heard speculation that Hyundai moved the goal posts to fool us (100% now = 80% formerly). But I don't think this is true and certainly haven't seen proof to convince me of it. Yet. lol. I think it would be pretty obvious by the GOM if they did that.

22. ElectricArt

ElectricArt New Member

Just want to say thank you to everyone that has posted on this forum.
    Lots of good information.
    I would never have known about the buy back program had I not read about it here.
    Just turned in my 2019 to Hyundai on Tuesday. Little over 2 months to complete. Could not refuse what Hyundai offered. And leased this time a 2021 Kona. Got State and Fed. incentives up front.
    Also really like the car.
    Sedgewick rep told me they will still do a buy back but you have to push harder for it now.
    Also he said they are sending cars right to the port. Swapping batteries there.

Thanks again from New Jersey!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

BC-Doc, Clamps and Mattsburgh like this.
  23. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

GM: Hold my beer..

Mattsburgh likes this.