Weird things - loss of speedo, AC, WIFi

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Jan 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I thought I’ll start a new thread which kind of different from the thread of illogical things.

These are weird things that I have observed:

1. I might have mentioned this before, previously our AC on the driver side only blows hot air while the passenger side blows cold air. This happened 3x on different trips with no regularity and so far not again.

2. We went on a road trip last weekend, after a fast charge at a supermarket, I transferred to another parking slot for the next Leaf to use, then went to buy supplies. When we pulled out, and on the highway I noticed that the speedo the dash was missing, but it was on the HUD, see attached pic. It was like this until we reached our destination. When we got to our remote site, I parked and turned off the SE. Then I transferred the SE to a better parking site and the speedo was back. Anybody encountered this?

Weird 2. I have a Tronity acct. I know that the SE generates and communicates the data via a SIM. And that when you are in a remote site it will not show you charging data on the app bec the SE has no mobile signal. Tronity also confirms that it gets its data from MINI. On the remote site we went to last weekend, they had WiFi, which my phone can access using their WiFi password. When I charged the SE using the owners ordinary house plug, the MINI app didn’t give any data, but the Tronity app did, i.e. kWh, date / time start & completion, SOC start / complete, odometer. No cost as the charging was free. With no mobile signal how did the Tronity app get the data from MINI? And the MINI has no access to the WIFi. IMG_6958.JPG

TimB and Urbanengineer like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TimB

TimB New Member

Re #2 I haven't had that specific issue, but i have had the bottom "strip" disappear (where your km/mileage is showing). It was fascinating that after charging with the portion disappearing I wasn't able to see how my battery percentage or mileage. It comes back after a restart though, just like you experienced.

azausa likes this.
  4. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I actually had that issue where the bottom strip disappeared as well, once maybe twice.

Then, some time later, the whole dash wouldn’t turn on. The dash not turning on has happened three times. Picking my mini up from the shop tomorrow to see if they could replicate and fix it, but they couldn’t replicate it. They did a software update, and are crossing their fingers… I’m not convinced.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

TimB likes this.
  5. The whole dash missing would be nerve wracking for me. I would have the HUD for the speedo but I won’t have the battery %. Did your dash disappear while you were driving?

TimB likes this.
  6. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

No, it just didn’t turn on when the car did. We didn’t drive it when it was like that. Turning the car off and keeping it sit for a few minutes seemed to let it fix itself…

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Maybe the next Mini's should have a 'Re-Boot' button on the dash?:)

Thankfully no probs with the dash. The reversing camera decided to come on while I was at traffic lights waiting to turn left, the other day, but so far nothing else.

azausa and TimB like this.
  9. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

When did you all take delivery of your SEs? I'm wondering if this is a supply chain quality control problem on the electronics. A bit disturbing.

wessy and TimB like this.
  10. TimB

TimB New Member

October 2021

11. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

If I set my dash to show the instantaneous mi/kWh, it resets to showing the date the next time I turn on the car

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. April 2021.

14. That’s a good thing. I lost the speedo while en route. I talked to my dealer and that was also his recommendation to stop and turn off the SE for 5min.

15. Got our SE last Sep.

16. That is also disconcerting. Never had that one.

17. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

The center stack going blank was a wide spread problem in the Gen 1 Volt world. The ‘re-boot’ method was to simply disconnect the 12 V battery for a couple minutes. I presume the same would work in the SE if the basic on-off sequence didn’t resolve the situation.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Over on Inside EVs' Honda Clarity forum, disconnecting the 12V battery is a well-known remedy for a variety of electronic ailments with the Clarity.

19. What is the basic on-off sequence in the SE?

20. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

The yellow toggle switch.

21. Ah that one… I thought there is some other combination, that mini assist ask me to try once, like press and hold volume knob for few seconds until central display reboots. Apparently, that didn’t work in the SE but seems to work on some MINI.

22. Bemsha

Bemsha Member

Welp, you can add me to the list of people who had the bottom “strip” of info on the dash disappear. Just the part that shows mi/kWh, odometer, etc.. The one you can cycle through. It happened the other day and I thought it was some button I had pressed. It was back on the next time I used the car about an hour later.

I have a new PHEV Countryman that I took delivery on Dec 20th, 2021. Seems like this is a widespread issue among various models, ranging over at least a 3 month delivery period.

Not having access to the charge and climate timer in the app is one thing, but this seems like a more serious possible safety issue and it’s concerning that it hasn’t been fixed. They should send push notifications on the app telling people with affected models / firmware versions to go to the dealership and update the firmware…. assuming they have fixed it by now of course.

wessy, TimB and GvilleGuy like this.
  23. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

Mine did this today. I’m 99% sure it was because the halfwit in the Audi behind was so close to my back bumper when we pulled up at traffic lights. The camera came on showing the yellow bars you see when close to an object when parking showing right where the Audi was on the camera. My X6 used to do this with its 360 cameras any time another vehicle got close to any part of the car so I assume it’s the same type of system.