Things I love about my Kona Electric

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nigels, Jun 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nigels

nigels Active Member

Car forums tend to lean heavily on the negative aspects of the car, to the point where you start wondering whether owning one is a good idea. To counterbalance that tendency, I thought it would be good to start a cathartic thread that covers the things we love about our cars. Here are a few to get us started. I'm looking forward to hearing about the things you love!
    1. The whistling sound of the electric motor on rapid acceleration. It reminds me that I'm driving a car from the 21st century.
    2. The availability of instant torque at any speed.
    3. One pedal driving. There's a turn into my neighborhood that in a non-electric car requires getting the car down to the right speed, in the right gear, and settled for the turn. In the Kona, in regen mode 3 I can just ease off the accelerator, the car slows down, and I turn. Simple, smooth, right every time.
    4. In Eco mode, the regeneration statistics that show you miles regenerated when you slow down. This gamification of driving has changed the way i think about stopping or going down hills. I love the idea that you can get more miles/km back.
    5. Charging to 80% (in warm weather) and still getting more miles on GOM than the EPA rating.
    6. Being able to prep the car before getting in and driving - setting the cabin temperature, pre-loading a destination vie the MyHyundai app.
    7. Despite being a smaller vehicle, I can still put airplane-sized carry-on bags in the trunk end-on without having to fold the seats down.
    8. So this isn't Kona Electric-specific, but parking at a charging station and topping up the battery rather than putting money in a parking meter. Parking has a function other than occupying a space.
    9. Smart cruise control that works down to 0 mph/kmh. In a traffic jam, I can enable this mode and let the car deal with the constant stop/start hassle. I only wish it didn't timeout so quickly, but resuming just takes a toggle of the steering wheel button, or a slight press of the accelerator. This results in a far less tiring commute.
    10. The little curved indent in the inside of the charging port door where you can hang the upper port cover, while charging.
    IMG_2956.jpg

navguy12, E-Shark, Sandwedge and 8 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The ability to set the charge limit in 10% increments (AC or DC) including the ability to auto-unlock once reaching that set limit.

4. I like the HUD, just the right info at the right time while driving.

electriceddy, CJC, Kitsilano and 2 others like this.
  5. I love the smart cruise control especially here in Vegas traffic down to a stop!

I love the VESS sound! It's what my millennium falcon does!

I love the range!

I love the one pedal driving and the different Regen levels always a good one for any situation!

I love the front look of it! (When I first saw it I hated it )

I love the sunroof!

I love the remote AC start and cooled seats (must have here in Vegas)!

I love the light colored interior!

I love the instant acceleration!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

6. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

LOL, I've been thinking of starting a thread called Things I Didn't Notice, and this would be at the top of my list, right above the cubby to put your fingers in when lowering the hatch.

nigels and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkookumPete

I love that I don't have to go into a menu to turn on a dome light. I love the knobs, and especially being able to use the tuning knob to zoom the map.

The touchscreen never glares. Everything is visible with polarized sunglasses. (Take note, Toyota Prius!)

There's a place for a box of tissues.

Mostly I love the feeling of being wafted about by a genie who wants to take very good care of me.

Jared Potter and nigels like this.
  9. nigels

nigels Active Member

Wait. The tuning knob zooms the map? Awesome!

I rented an Audi Q7 last year. What a terrible user interface that car has! To interact with the display, you have buttons, knobs, and a 1990s era touch pad, but you can’t touch the screen. Madness. The Kona feels like it’s from another century in terms of usability.

Yes, I like the magic carpet feeling of driving this car, like you’re being blown along by a steady wind.

Jared Potter and R P like this.
  10. Configurable in the settings menu of the touch screen!

nigels likes this.
  11. nigels

nigels Active Member

Let’s hear it for auto up on both the driver and passenger windows. In my other car, auto up on the passenger window only works when it’s above the half way point.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Oh yeah, love that!
    Who came up with that half way up idea? That's terrible!

nigels likes this.
  14. SkookumPete

And for no auto-down on the rear windows. No inadvertently rolling down more than the crack you want.

nigels and Kamloops_KoNa like this.
  15. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Brilliant! I hadn't noticed this before.... :)

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Sandwedge

Sandwedge New Member

I didn't know there was a hook for the charge cover, Thank You!

17. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

The front-end look grew on me too even though I wasn’t thrilled about it in the beginning.

Esprit1st and Lex23 like this.
  18. nigels

nigels Active Member

It's a nice, thoughtful detail, but I haven't figured out if there's a way to hang the lower plug when DC charging.

KiwiME likes this.
  19. nigels

nigels Active Member

Likewise. I thought it looked kind of odd, but now I think it perfectly suits the car. The ICE version with its big radiator grill seems odd to me now. I like that there's a symmetrical charging port panel on the other side. I wonder if there anything behind it?

20. It doesn't seem like it which is weird to me.

21. Today I noticed that the seat belt attachments have a felt pad on the outside towards the center console, so they don't scratch/clunk!

22. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on a the button . I had it set to tune channels but changed it after seeing your post. Now it zooms the map in map mode but still changes stations in radio mode. Great!

electriceddy, eastpole and nigels like this.
  23. Tracy

Tracy New Member

I love that the passenger door can be unlocked by double pressing the button on the exterior driver-side door handle.

eastpole and nigels like this.