Refill inverter coolant

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ColoradoKonaEV, Mar 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. My wife just sent me a a picture of a warning message - "Refill inverter coolant", which popped up while she was driving. Can I top it off? Where is the reservoir located?

Attached Files:

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sounds to me like you should visit the dealer for this, at your convenience, it's not an emergency.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Maybe a pump issue or sensor? Picture of the one at the front:

[​IMG]
    This one is for the BMS at the rear (not the one for the inverter/ motor but might as well include it while on the subject)
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to @KiwiME for the photos. Note these are coolant - not water pumps :)
    Edit: one other thread on this with no follow up, so assuming it was a quick fix

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    KiwiME likes this.
  5. I think it is just a low coolant level. fluid.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  6. If you do add some, just be aware the cap is removed CW :oops:

ColoradoKonaEV likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I would check the radiator for a leak from rock damage.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Precisely why I did this:
    [​IMG]:)

10. This looks like a good idea. In my case there are no leaks. I finally got the traction battery replaced about a month ago and they also changed the "ev battery coolant". Is this the same as the "inverter coolant"? It is possible they did not put enough coolant. I will take the car to the dealer, so they can fix it whatever it is.

11. Yes, in the Kona EV.
    [​IMG]
    Three coolant loop modes
    The three modes (Heating, LTR or Low Temperature Radiator, and Chiller) correspond to the three different computer-controlled valve settings and coolant flow diagrams.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    During much of the year in mild climate conditions the thermal system typically starts up in LTR mode (labeled “Cool Condition” above) which circulates coolant through a single interconnected loop to warm the battery up to its optimal operating temperature when cold and to maintain that temperature with the help of a radiator and fan.
    [​IMG]
    The three-way valves switch to Chiller Mode (labeled “Hot Condition” above) when the battery starts to get too warm. Hyundai hasn’t said what the exact parameters are. The coolant flows through a “chiller” which exchanges heat with the vehicle’s air conditioning refrigerant loop.

In the Chevrolet Bolt EV, the A/C system begins helping to chill the battery coolant when it reaches much above 32C (90F). But the Bolt has a dedicated coolant loop just for the battery and no valves to allow the exchanging of heat with the motor and power electronics loop.
    [​IMG]
    When temperatures are really cold, the dedicated battery heater kicks in (if present) even if “Winter Mode” isn’t enabled. Like a hot battery in Chiller Mode, the battery coolant sub-loop circulates independently because the battery heater is only needed to warm the battery and not the rest of the components.
    E-GMP uses 2 systems
    Low conductivity for the battery, and regular coolant for the motor, inverter and electronics (EPCU,OBC etc)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    ColoradoKonaEV likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.