Federal Rebate

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jamas, Dec 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just a heads up for US-based owners: On the #HyundaiKonaEV Facebook page, reports are starting to come in that the IRS is sending letters to folks who filed their 2019 taxes and applied the $7500 tax credit, stating that the VIN number submitted doesn’t match an approved EV. Anyone on this forum receive this letter?

Dag Lindquist likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

ericy likes this.
  4. Definitely a screw up. I kept this screenshot as evidence... E87CD8B8-5561-4887-8A71-41DC9BEED227.png

5. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

The Hyundai Kona EV qualifies for the full $7500 federal tax credit.

I know, because they went through my tax return calculations. The EV rebate passed their scrutiny, but I made a mistake on the state tax refund deduction, and they denied me $200 for that.

6. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

We received our $7500 with no problem. We also got our state rebate. 2019 Kona. I would make sure you got the VIN number right. Sometimes it is hard to designate 0 and O. Sometimes I and l.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. From wiki:
    "Besides the three letters that are not allowed in the VIN itself (I, O and Q), the letters U and Z and the digit 0 are not used for the model year code."

9. Just to be clear, I didn't receive the letter, but others on the Facebook group have. They received their credit, but are now being audited and told the VIN doesn't match a qualifying vehicle. They validated that their VIN was entered correctly. My guess is something got screwed up in the IRS database that maintains the valid VINs. Here's the letter they are receiving:

129903834_10223172598210837_3083962060588845668_n.jpg

Dag Lindquist likes this.
  10. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Ultra weird! Well, everyone should still have (b) and if necessary the dealer ought be be able to get you (c). The fact that some people got their credits and others did not is really screwy. I don't know how it works behind the scenes but it's almost like Hyundai didn't register some VINs or something?

Do keep us up to date if there's any developments!

(Unrelated, but this reminds me how the 2020 model is not eligible for the New York State Clean Pass sticker, though the 2019 model is - looks like the DOT just haven't gotten around to qualifying it...)

11. Mark_PDX

Mark_PDX New Member

I got this IRS audit letter as well. I scanned my purchase document, my state license plate registration (which includes VIN and ELECTRIC clearly indicated), took a photo of the VIN sticker on the door, and a photo of the charger plugged into the front of the car that also shows the license plate. Then I learned the IRS can't take email, that's far too advanced a technology. They only take FAX. Had to sign up for a free online fax account to send my reply. The fax account has added another source of emailed spam. Arggh!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. US elections also ask for overseas votes to be “faxed”, otherwise snail-mailed.

14. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Interesting - I received the same letter and am searching for item c. My dealership sent me to Hyundai Consumer Affairs. They said they have no idea and sent me to Hyundai Motor Finance, who sent me back to the dealer. Full circle ...
    I'm now on hold with the IRS to get clarification before I send back incomplete information with (c) missing ...
    Obviously the IRS publication IRC 30D lists the Hyundai Kona EV as qualifying for the full credit. And my contract states that it's an EV. I triple checked the VIN with the stickers on my car, the paperwork (contract) and the tax return I filed. All correct. Even went to a VIN decoder online, which confirmed my VIN refers to the Kona EV.... Very frustrating -- this has taken me over 6 hours on hold and talking to people @ Hyundai already this week ...

15. Judson Cohan

Judson Cohan New Member

I'm in the same boat; I FAXed my cover letter and sales contract to the IRS two days ago. My dealership also was completely clueless about item c. I printed out a copy of the IRS web page showing that the 2019 Kona EV is eligible. I'm waiting for a reply.

16. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I had no problem when filing my 2019 taxes last March - received the FED Credit and a CA State Rebate check around April or May.

17. I don't think people had an issue claiming the credit. I think they are having an issue of an audit / "request for more info" after they've already received their credit.

eastpole and Dag Lindquist like this.
  18. Judson Cohan

Judson Cohan New Member

Exactly. I wonder if this is an issue because the Kona comes in both an EV and ICE version.

electriceddy likes this.
  19. Good point;)

20. Zekelion

Zekelion New Member

21. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

If these audits are going to become more common, maybe dealers/OEMs can figure out what a “manufacturer’s certification” is and streamline the process for getting them to buyers.

Correct me if I missed something, but it looks like we still don’t know what that is home how to get it?

Dag Lindquist and Jamas like this.
  22. Zekelion

Zekelion New Member

I think they're asking for the manufacturer's certificate of origin (MCO). This is the document that's provided to the dealer from the manufacturer at the time of purchase. The MCO is then handed over to the DMV by the dealer so the vehicle can be titled. The buyer does not routinely have custody of the MCO so it's unreasonable for the IRS to request this document from the buyer.

mustapha666 likes this.
  23. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

That would certainly explain it. Any idea what's up with all the... what I assume are redactions? "*****2*****"