All EV family. Comparing Mini to others (Tesla)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Quiet Mini, Sep 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

After having our SE for 18 months, we really got tired of having our other ICE car. We have over 20,000 wonderful miles on our Mini and having to take a gas car on road trip just felt like having to drive a horse and buggy. The Mini is absolutely wonderful but it’s not the right choice for road trips. We decided to go 100% electric. I’ve driven many different EVs but in the end our decision was based on charger availability in the areas we travel and price after tax rebates. We ended up with a Model Y. Here is my assessment vs the Mini SE.

Build quality:
    Honestly I was shocked with this. The Tesla is rock solid. I’d say it’s on par with the Mini, if not a little better. My Mini actually has a few more rattles.

Ride Quality/Comfort:
    The Tesla is a comfortable road trip car with floaty suspension (at least in the 2023). The Mini wins hands down for day to day handling. The Tesla seats are tall and upright which I don’t prefer but they are excellent for the long haul. The lower seating position and side bolstering is so nice in the Mini. I am tall and I feel the Mini has more leg room. This is a totally a subjective thing.

Infotainment an navigation:
    Tesla wins hands down. Over the air updates and premium connectivity are great. Tesla trip routing is amazing. It picks charge stops and tells you exactly how long you need to charge at each stop. The Mini shows all chargers no matter if they are ahead or you or behind you. It also shows level 2 and DC fast chargers which is annoying. The Mini wins for CarPlay though. Also the Mini has buttons and knobs which is more traditional. I feel anyone could hop in and drive it, even if they have never driven an EV before.

Driving:
    The Mini is quick and handles so good. It is by far my favorite. I’ll pick this car any day of the week. The Tesla is quicker but the cabin is more quiet so for some reason does not feel as quick as the Mini. The Mini is the perfect size. The Tesla is HUGE. I sometimes read people complaining the model Y is not big enough. I’m not sure what those people expect. It just feels so big to me. However the interior storage is amazing. From the frunk to the huge sub trunk to the hatch space, I can’t imagine needing more room. But, everything that can fit in a Costco cart fits in a Mini. It just works so well for most needs. One pedal driving in the Mini is excellent, but Tesla is second to none. Of all the EVs I’ve driven, these two are the best. The Tesla applies the bakes at stop lights which gives it an advantage.

Charging:
    This is the main reason we chose the Tesla. 250kw charging and the unsurpassed charging network is great when you have to travel into a charging desert. There is no denying the CCS network in the US is terrible. I can’t count how many times I’ve arrived to dead CCS chargers. With Tesla you just plug in and walk away. No fiddling with multiple buggy apps and crappy charging hardware.

Efficency:
    Over the last 6000 miles I’ve averaged 4.3 mi/kWh in the Mini but my range has decreased since I’ve switched from non OEM tires. Over the last 3000 miles I’ve averaged 4 mi/kWh in the Tesla on stock tires.

Summary:
    Day to day I will always choose the Mini. If I need more space or need to go a long distance, the Tesla is excellent as well. I can’t wait to see the upcoming EV Countryman. I just hope it comes with NACS.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    Hutch, F14Scott, e22mini and 7 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Great reviews, thanks for sharing your perspective and welcome to the all-EV family!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. vader

vader Well-Known Member

All EV here too. My wife (for some reason autocorrect initially put wifi - granted that would be funnier) recently got a C40, so the MINI has been relegated to a fun car :) This is why I put AD09s on it. Range doesn't matter, although the hit to range is minimal. I have averaged 5mi/kWh (12.5 kWh /100km) over 20000 miles (32000 km). The Volvo is a cruisy car with lots of space, and the MINI is a fun go kart for weekend enjoyment. Loving it!

5. ghost

ghost Active Member

SE (me) and Model 3 (wife) owners:
    I love driving the SE. I don't need the range of the 3 to commute to work.

The supercharger infrastructure is tops; however, I hate going to a non-supercharger and seeing it filled w teslas when there's a supercharger nearby, usually due to cost (e.g., free chargers). This happens frequently.

As far as the car itself, I wish my wife would sell her 3 and get something safer (due to random braking, acceleration). It's happened to her, other people we know, and me.

Yeah, the range is awesome, but safety is paramount.

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I find this statement amusing. You drive a Mini and you are concerned about safety.

Well just don't get in an accident.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ghost

ghost Active Member

My SE has never brake checked in the freeway by itself or accelerated on its own, so probably won't get in one (knock on wood).

revorg and SameGuy like this.
  9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Are MINIs more prone to getting into accidents? I don't follow your logic.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Even an SUV (here, a Ford Escape) in the wrong place at the wrong time can be dangerous.

upload_2023-9-10_21-19-50.png

A MINI driver would have zipped out from between these trucks before impact.

azausa likes this.
  11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Ask marshall in the Hyundai EV sections if you really want to know...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    No thanks

teslarati97 likes this.
  14. teslarati97

I just wanted to spare you the interaction avec Boss des Bécosses.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

In my first MINI (a 2010 Clubman S) I got rear-ended on the freeway at 50 mph (I had stopped for traffic jam in front of me). Shoved my car into the median wall, which then ricocheted off into the back of another car. Airbags deployed, but me and my passenger walked away with zero injuries. The Clubman was almost drivable afterwards. The other car's entire front end collapsed, probably saving that driver, who also walked away.

MINIs are extremely safe cars, even though they are small.

SameGuy, MichaelC and revorg like this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah I may end up perusing that forum more often, more depending on how things go as we become an all-EV family

17. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  18. It appears as if the overall evaluation was due to the performance of the high beams; perhaps not bright enough and not enough of a spread.. at least that's what I see in the report.

I've been impressed by the headlights as well.

SameGuy likes this.
  19. teslarati97

Not enough high beam distance especially on the left side. 300 feet projection too short to blind oncoming traffic.

20. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Out of my three cars. Prius, Mini SE and the Cross Turismo. I have to say that i love my Prius most. You just get in and within 3-5 seconds you are already going, Porsche is second on that. The MINI is fk up in that way. Funwise, i can have most fun with the MINI. It's useable power. I think that m my Cross Turismo will beat both when snow comes. Oh... can't wait.

21. SameGuy

YUL
    All I can say is BimmerCode… Lol

No annoying startup sequences and noises, just hit the start toggle, buckle up, drop it in gear, and go. I don't think it takes me more than three seconds either.

Could I save a second by not having to reach for the start toggle? Maybe. But it's just so well placed, that I am usually hitting the toggle before my arse is even comfortably in the driver's seat.

Deepak Rao and insightman like this.
  22. sacrilege to think otherwise! the toggle must stay!!