Must-have modifications

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CastleWolfenstein, Jul 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi - where did you purchase the mud flaps from? Link please?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. @SameGuy I'm curious did you paint your brake calipers yourself? If so was it difficult to do? Doesn't seem like it just seems like it's a bit time consuming and requires a bit of patience. Also, I'm curious which method is better, brushing on the paint or using a spray can? Thx!

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@Rexsio used a brush.

David Comstock likes this.
  5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

With brush is less mess you don’t have to cover anything just clean them really well .I paint mine with 65 miles on odometer .cleaning was minimal.As I paint my fake Monet I believe I can paint brakes calipers on SE . 2DB8B9FC-FE92-4DC7-9578-6063D9C2B8F5.jpeg

6. Thanks for the insights! Much appreciated! I called a couple of places locally that do this and it was surprisingly expensive... definitely going the DIY route for this

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Do minimum two or three light coats don’t apply heavy I lift a car of ground and work around on 4 calipers this way I don’t have to wait for them to dry .once I reach 4 th a 1 st was practically dry .Don’t drive right away let them dry at least overnight.Use a good quality soft flat brush about 1/4 “ wide .I was using spray can which I spray a paint into small container,staff dry fast spray only a little and use fast.

9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Fun fact: OE accessory MINI mirror caps from the parts department aren’t drilled for the logo puddle light.

Last night and early this morning, I couldn’t see the projected logo, and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out how to activate it. It was only after I coded the mirrors to fold in with the key that I noticed there was nowhere for the light to exit. I guess another “to-do” item now, remove the driver’s side Night Jack Mirror Cap, and use the original black one as a template to locate a hole, then drill and enlarge it with a file. Grrr.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Hopefully there's a knockout. And since it's driver side, the hole must need to exist on the right-hand mirror cap for left-side driving countries right? What if there's a projector on both sides, maybe just need an extra hole.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    Popped off the Night Jack mirror cap using a plastic trim spudger, and of course it sprang off the housing, I juggled it a couple of times, and of course it landed butter side down on the dirty concrete floor. Only a couple of tiny nicks that I’ll be able to buff out when I get around to polishing out the DISO (dealer-installed swirl option) and ceramic coating the car.

The Night Jack is a skin over a regular mirror cap shell — I compared it to the original black cap, it’s twice as thick — and sure enough, the hole for the projector is there on the inside layer. I used a sharp tool to puncture the thick outer skin in the centre of the oval-shaped hole, then used a small bit to drill a pilot hole before boring it out with a stepped bit, and finally shaping and finishing with a round file. Tomorrow I’ll check the passenger side for a projector. ;)
    36242F4C-3043-4268-8767-2A1222A97089.jpeg

GvilleGuy, Rogwp, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    No projector. Oh well. Seems like it’s easy enough to retrofit if one were so inclined; the mounting points are there.

MichaelC likes this.
  14. insightman

Are the wires there or are there different wiring harnesses for LHD and RHD MINIs?

15. @ghost I too am looking to paint my calipers and am trying to get as close to the energetic yellow as possible. Would you say the POR-15 is close enough or should I try the VHT or G2 instead? Duplicolor doesn't really look all that close by the pics I've seen online. Thx!

16. ghost

ghost Active Member

I need to see the vht or g2 to say. The por-15 is darker (more golden) than energetic yellow.
    [​IMG]
    (License plate numbers)

Edit: just noticed the buttons to post a message are pretty close to energetic yellow!

Jonny Silver likes this.

17. Ahh got it thanks for posting a picture.. yeah that looks much different than the swatch online. Super helpful, thank you! Yes the site buttons do look pretty close eh? ha!

SameGuy likes this.
  18. Jonny Silver

Jonny Silver New Member

How did you darkened the SE plug emblem? Looks awesome :)

insightman likes this.
  19. ghost

ghost Active Member

Plastidip, although I've since removed it bc I thought I had too much yellow going on in back.

Jonny Silver likes this.
  20. insightman

upload_2022-8-10_10-12-47.png

ghost and SameGuy like this.
  21. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol I got some fishing line from a neighbor yesterday and that Energetic Blob will be history by this afternoon. ;)

ghost likes this.
  22. ghost

ghost Active Member

Haha, I'll be adding more yellow to my calipers soon!

I used a heat gun and fishing line. Couldn't find my rubber wheel adhesive remover, so it took me a while to get all the glue off.

SameGuy likes this.
  23. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol I’ve been looking for mine!! No luck so far.

ghost likes this.