Battery replacements are starting

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by gonfunko, Jun 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

I am sorry about your dealer experience. The dealer closest to us is a pain, I had to have them work on the car after it was bricked because it was the closest dealer and that's who Hyundai would deliver it to on the flatbed. BUT, the dealer we leased from, about an hour away, is absolutely wonderful...cheerful on the phone, good to deal with in person, etc., etc. And this across their manufacturers' dealerships (they do a whole bunch beside Hyundai), and they do it right. So that's where we have the appointment for our 2020's battery replacement.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Can you share the Phone contact info that you called?? You probably got a speedier solution if your 2020 was actually BRICKED. mine is not. But it would be nice to be able to 100% Charge again for summer trips. Thanks

4. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Not sure if you're asking me, Tim. I just called the local dealer here in the mid Hudson Valley of NY to get the appointment.

5. I took my 2019 Kona Ultimate to my local dealer and had all of the recalls, campaigns and service bulletins taken care of last week.
    When I checked the "MyHyundai" app, all of the work that was performed at the dealer showed up as completed.
    I thought that that would be a good thing so I called Hyundai customer care at 1-800-633-5151 and they also confirmed that no other repairs were necessary. So I questioned the battery replacement. They said that the dealer performed an inspection / battery check and it passed. They also explained that there is no reason for them to replace the battery at this point. I continue to ask them for more information but they had nothing to add. I question them about charging to 100% and they told me I could without any issues or concerns.
    So at this point with no warranty repairs necessary and no reduction in state of charge to 80%, I now have the full use of the vehicle I purchased and enjoy driving, AS IT SHOULD BE!

Dag Lindquist likes this.
  6. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

With any luck, you are right!

But checking with Hyundai customer relations may, or may not, be correct.

For grins, put your VIN in the federal VIN recall look-up tool: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=CjwKCAjwoNuGBhA8EiwAFxomAyLFXBI_QBgytQ3R63z82xM9t03W5db53YYCXDsaUq1tBYzZquWN7hoCqXQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#vin

With any luck, you won't have the Hyundai Recall 200 shown.

FYI, here's what mine says, from the Fed VIN lookup for recalls:

Mar 01,2021
    Manufacturer Recall Number200
    NHTSA Recall Number21V127000
    Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
    SummaryHYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA (HYUNDAI) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2019-2020 KONA ELECTRIC AND 2020 IONIQ ELECTRIC VEHICLES. THE LITHIUM-ION (LI-ION) BATTERY MAY SHORT-CIRCUIT.

Safety RiskTHE SUBJECT VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH BATTERY CELLS MANUFACTURED IN THE LG ENERGY SOLUTIONS CHINA (NANJING) PLANT IN WHICH THE ANODE (NEGATIVE) TABCAN BE FOLDED. A FOLDED ANODE TAB IN THE BATTERY CELL COULD ALLOW THE LITHIUM PLATING ON THE ANODE TAB TO CONTACT THE CATHODE, RESULTING IN AN ELECTRICAL SHORT. AN ELECTRICAL SHORT IN THE LI-ION BATTERY INCREASES THE RISK OF A FIRE.

Remedy2019 MODEL YEAR KONA EV OWNERS WILL BEGIN RECEIVING REMEDY NOW AVAILABLE NOTIFICATION LETTERS BEGINNING IN LATE JUNE 2021 AS BATTERY SUPPLY BECOMES READILY AVAILABLE FOR THEIR VEHICLE. ONCE OWNERS ARRIVE AT THE DEALERSHIP,DEALER WILL INSPECT AND IF NECESSARY, ORDER A REPLACEMENT BATTERY SYSTEM ASSEMBLY. A SOFTWARE UPDATE MAY ALSO BE NECESSARY. THIS PROCEDURE WILL BE PERFORMED AT NO CHARGE TO THE OWNER. 2020 MODEL YEAR OWNERS WILL RECEIVE A REMEDY NOT AVAILABLE LETTER UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE AS REMEDY FOR 2020 MODEL YEAR OWNERS IS CURRENTLY UNDER DEVELOPMENT. HYUNDAI RECOMMENDS YOU TO ADJUST AND MAINTAIN YOUR BATTERY'S 'MAX% CHARGE'LEVEL AT 80% AS A PRELIMINARY SAFETY MEASURE TO ENABLE YOU TO SAFELY DRIVEAND CHARGE YOUR VEHICLE AT HOME PRIOR TO THE REMEDY BEING PERFORMED. SEARCH YOUTUBE AND TYPE "SETTING THE MAXIMUM CHARGE LIMIT HYUNDAI" AND SELECT THE FIRST LINK THAT APPEARS OR CONTACT YOUR LOCAL HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ADJUST YOUR BATTERY'S 'MAX% CHARGE' LEVEL. HYUNDAI APPRECIATES YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING IN THIS MATTER.

Manufacturer's NotesOWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NAT'L HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION VEHICLE SFTY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9150 OR WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

Suzanne Roth and Danhen like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Wait, what? JOEV you have a 2019 Kona and have never had your traction battery replaced? All the 2019 Konas qualify for a traction battery replacement regardless of what dealer inspection indicates( this is simply scanning for battery codes, and visually verifying battery serial information). The only exception that I am aware of is if you already had the battery replaced for another reason.

9. Looks good to me:
    Recall data refreshed on Jun 26,2021
    0Unrepaired Recalls
    associated with this VIN

Very confusing information out there.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  10. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Looks like you're good to go for now.

11. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

I called (+1 (800) 633-5151) and I spoke with Julie. I have a 2019 Kona.

The latest:
    1) I called Hyundai again yesterday to asked where my $200 was and when I could expect it. The gentleman helping me could not give me an answer and no one higher up would give him an answer.
    2) the guy I spoke with (don’t have his name) said I might want to go to my local dealer and make sure we’re all in the same page. So I did.
    3) I was able to speak with the service manager and I showed him my appointment for July 13. He read it and said I know nothing about this and I don’t believe I’ll have a battery or the tool to install it by that date. I said he didn’t understand why Hyundai would make the appointment (which Hyundai confirmed with the service department) for a job his department was not prepared for. He had to look up the new bulletin for the 200 recall and he found the solution posted by Hyundai. He knew thing about it until I showed him my appointment for.
    He said he’s get back to me as soon as possible with an answer. I would have been pissed off if I arrived on 7/13 and they had know clue about the battery replacement.

I recommend that you got to your local deal before your appointment and make sure they will have a battery there on the day you arrive. It will save you grief.

More to come after I hear from Hyundai.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Hmm.. has Hyundai backtracked on replacing all batteries and only replacing some of them? This doesn't sound very good.

Kamloops_KoNa likes this.
  14. I wonder if they give it some kind of stress test to detect the folded anode. And if it passes, then they don't replace the battery. They might wait to do this test until they have a replacement battery on hand in case it fails.

15. Hmm, all that's a whole lot of speculation based on little more evidence than a miscommunication between the importer and one dealer.

All of us are already running a "stress test" on the battery, driving the car monitored by Campaign 196. In most cases that's been effective, but we still have been sold a car with a design flaw in the battery and Hyundai corporate are doing the right thing, it's just hard coming up with 77,000 battery packs at a moment's notice.

Think of Bolt owners who now have a similar software patch but are not getting battery replacements unless the car bricks itself.

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Or perhaps they are prioritizing certain batteries for replacement based upon the testing that they are doing.

17. While checking the MyHyundai app I noticed that the charge management used to select the percentage of charge on DC and AC can now be set to 100% on my Kona. I was told by the Hyundai service center that I could charge to 100% and the app now reflects that. I hope they know what they are doing!
    Screenshot_20210627-210458.png

18. Moe0059

Moe0059 New Member

I am in Pittsburgh, and about a week ago I received a call from Hyundai recall resolution. They told me about the remedy, promised a rental, transferred me to my local dealer and stayed on the phone throughout.

the Hyundai corporate team has been very good to us, and they have been in constant communication over phone and mail throughout. The gift card was an automatic process and I didn’t have to chase anyone after the update.

I dropped the car off, all paperwork completed and parts ordered. The dealer has performed another recall a few weeks ago, and said it took about 3 months for the whole process to complete.

I am not sure how long mine will take, but will update the forum if I hear back.

19. Our 2019 Kona has been at the dealer since early May-battery bricked after recall updates. My wife got a call on Monday from Hyundai saying batteries were now available within 2 weeks. Even though we have had a case number the guy didn’t even know our car didn’t work. So he supposedly called dealer and left them a message. Unfortunately no one at the dealer is aware of this. Ugh

live in NYS about hour north of NYC

20. Roman

Roman New Member

I own a 2019 Kona Ultimate in Ontario, Canada. Still no news as to when the replacements will commence here. Very frustrating. On another note, a couple of weeks ago the car would not start in the morning. No sounds, keyfob not working, nothing. My 12V battery drained overnight which I believe to be due to my trunk not being properly latched and the cargo light staying on. I put my charger on the battery and was back in business. Car started right up. I should have gone for a drive but didn't. Next morning, same issue. I guess the 12V didn't get trickle charged enough from the main high voltage pack? Have been driving the car daily since with no more problems. How silly is it that there is no automatic shutoff for the lights to avoid this issue? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

navguy12 likes this.
  21. Stories of failing 12 volt batteries are many and frequent. You are not alone.

navguy12 likes this.
  22. Suzanne Roth

Suzanne Roth Member

Was your battery included in the Recall?

23. Joev, I have had the exact same experience as you. I put a call in to corporate customer service just to confirm and they told me there was no open recall on my car. Just to be sure I asked to have it escalated to a case manager, who is supposed to call me back in about a week. stay tuned.

Joev likes this.