Battery replacements are starting

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by gonfunko, Jun 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just got off the phone with the service department at Tustin Hyundai in SoCal. Service manager confirmed that battery replacements are starting, and that there was a battery available for my Kona. He said I'll need to bring the car to the dealer to fill out some paperwork which they had to submit to get the battery delivered to that specific dealership, at which point they would perform the swap. He also said that in the interim they'd provide a rental, or I could just come back once the battery arrived for them to perform the swap and continue driving my Kona in the meantime. I'll provide updates once I'm done with the paperwork and when the swap is complete.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Im just Curious... Did they call you in? or were you on their list? How did they know to contact you?

4. I called them, since I'd seen a couple second-hand reports on here of folks getting battery swaps scheduled. They made it sound like not everybody was eligible yet (asked for my VIN to check), but confirmed that generally speaking replacements were starting and that there was a battery assigned for my vehicle.

Martyparty likes this.
  5. Stopped by after work and signed the work order. Apparently given the hassle of shipping the batteries they want you to sign to confirm that that dealer will be the one you'll have perform the work. They said it might be up to a couple weeks before the battery arrives at the dealership, at which point they'd give me a call to bring the car in and perform the swap, which would take basically the whole day. Service manager was familiar with the special lift and replacement procedure and generally seemed pretty on top of the whole thing, which was nice.

6. Ramzak

Ramzak New Member

I have a 2020 Kona EV, purchased in December 2019, never had any battery issues. After bringing it into the dealer for 10,000mi, they said there was two updates or recalls to install. I normally charge at home to reach 80%, but they had changed the parameters to 100%. When I needed to charge it, after a few days, it would only charge to 94%. The next morning when I needed to roll to the store, the car would not drive at all. I called the dealer, they said to tow it on a flatbed truck in for service. They informed me that one of the cells were blown, and the battery would be ordered for replacement. Unfortunately there is no ETA on when they would receive the battery. Bye the way, there isn't a rental car available anywhere in the Portland, Oregon area.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. You might get a replacement soon. The interwebs are full of US owners getting appointments for battery replacements and and bricked cars seem to get priority.

9. I received a phone call from the "hyundai recall resolution team"....and was told to contact my dealer for an appointment for the remedy to Recall 200, which I took the car in for yesterday, 6/23/2021 and I just picked up the car this am 6/24/2021. I am approved for a battery replacement and it could be months away for the battery to come in. "there may be a lengthy waiting period for parts to arrive" is on my paperwork. I'm in southern NJ.

10. I will post an update as well. I did the update & inspection yesterday 6/23/2021 and picked up my car this am, 6/24/2021. Was told months away on phone and paperwork says "there may be a lengthy waiting period for parts to arrive."

11. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

This afternoon 6/24 (Southern NYS), I called my dealer about the Recall 200 (2020 Kona EV). They are not requiring paperwork in order to get the replacement battery, I'm scheduled for replacement mid-July (earliest for me as I'm travelling for much of the time after their first available appointment early July), 4 hours is supposed to do it. I wouldn't have called but for the OP saying here that he reached out to the dealer. BTW, car was bricked in May..... fine thereafter with dealer service.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Which dealer?

14. Hyundai in Turnersville.

Danhen likes this.
  15. I called my local dealer today and they want me to come in for the verification of the 80% charge limit (I haven't bothered previously because it's an hour drive) and also some sort of battery system update. They said "if the update does not take" or something like that, then I would be in line for the battery replacement. What is this update, anyway? There is still only very vague information on the Hyundai USA website.

16. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

I posted this elsewhere too:

Here’s My Story

The gift card: I spoke to Hyundai today and asked about my gift card that I have yet to receive. The young lady was very helpful and said she would look into it with her boss. They’d email me soon with an answer. We’ll see.
    The battery: I asked about when the battery replacement would be ready. She asked if I had a local dealer that I go to for my recall work and I replied yes, Tempe Hyundai. She explained that she would call the dealer and set up an appointment for me to have the battery replaced. Needless to say I was stunned it could be this easy. She scheduled me for a July 13th appointment to replace the battery. So I said, you mean they will have a battery there the day I bring it in to replace my defective one? She said yes. I asked if they would have the proper equipment to do the swap. She said yes. So I asked if my lifetime battery replacement would still be honored after the replacement? She said it would. Then I asked if I’d be able to charge to 100% and maintain the 253mi range that I was originally promised? She said yes again.
    Needless to say I will believe all of this IF or when I have the new battery. I will keep you informed about what really happens on July 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

ehatch, navguy12, apu and 1 other person like this.
  17. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I got my $200 Visa card automatically in my email after I went in for the P29 update. I didn't even mention the card when I went in.. I think they must have linked my email to my VIN or something.

Did you check your spam email?

Toolworker likes this.
  18. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I received a NOTIFCATION on my Bluelink App yesterday about the status of the "Remedy". It says that the 2019 models are now available to schedule for replacements thru the dealer service dept. There is "NO REMEMDY" still/yet for the 2020 models - they are working on it - and we "will be informed when the remedy becomes available".

19. I log into the owners site and the app and it shows my inbox with all the recall notices. I've had them all done (except the battery replacement). It says the message will go away after the recall has been done but it's not. Anyone else have this? How do I get rid of this?

20. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

I'd likely not believe what Bluelink says....my opinion of the app is that it is pure ^&*#. Call your dealer and see. I have a 2020, and a 7/13 appointment for a battery replacement, obtained by a call to the dealer.

21. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I agree about the APP ... It really is a POS. ANd it takes over 30 mins to wait online to even CALL them with an issue. But the NEWLY created MSGS are in fact NEW. Yes, it seems to take forever for them to SYNC up with what the Service dept completes. But like I said, THIS is a brand new msg. The other issue is that I can't seem to ever be able to contact my SERVICE DEPT. They refuse to answer the phone, or their line is constantly busy. The only way I can approach them is a physical visit to their center -- and then have to wait in line for all the other vehicles to be processed - JUST TO ASK A QUESTION! This is the FUTURE FORD HYUNDAI Service center in Concord, Ca. Really horrible customer service.

22. That's great, I just can't believe how much exponentially more difficult it was for me just to get my 12V battery replaced. The dealer drama was unreal. Its was like I was asking my dealer for his first born.

navguy12 likes this.
  23. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Can you share the Phone contact info who you talked with? Oh, and what MODEL YEAR do you have?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021