October Poll of the Month

Do you use snow tires?

  • No, I drive another vehicle instead (eg, 4wd truck) in bad weather

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    13
  • This poll will close: .

brianc35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you use dedicated Snow/Winter tires or wheel set on your EV?

Perhaps it doesn't get cold where you live, so this is not really relevant to you. For the folks closer to the poles, even if it doesn't snow, winter tires can have benefits in colder weather offering softer compounds which respond better to cooler temps.
 
I'm in Florida but have driven in cold enough temperatures to cause a problem for summer tires. I keep the OEM all-season tires on all year 'round.
 
In the snow, if my car's stopping distance is 5 inches shorter, the collision I might avoid could save me more than the cost of the winter tires. And, on our MINI Cooper SE, every mile the winter tires are mounted extends the minimal life of its summer performance tires.

Best of all, however, is the performance of our MINI's anti-slip traction-control. I floor the accelerator and the car proceeds at the maximum speed the traction of the winter tires can achieve. Sometimes that speed is very slow, but then I'll come across an uncovered patch of pavement and the MINI shoots forward for a second. I have a lot of fun in the snow with the winter tires on our MINI.

On our Honda Clarity PHEV, the winter tires get us where we need to go. Sadly, that trusty, but neglected, sedan comes out of the garage only when our destination is further than 50 miles from home, because the MINI's range is only about 100 miles in the cold.
 
I love the Finnish-made Nokian winter tires I drive on in my MINI Cooper SE, in some of the harshest winter conditions of North America. I did a range test the first winter by turning off all heat in my car during like -10 ºF commute, and found minimal range hit. That indicates snow tires can have low rolling resistance and be very efficient. I'm just disappointed all of the newer EV-specific snow tires seem to be for 18" or bigger wheels, which is too big for the MINI Cooper SE which takes 16" or 17" tires.
 
I love the Finnish-made Nokian winter tires I drive on in my MINI Cooper SE, in some of the harshest winter conditions of North America. I did a range test the first winter by turning off all heat in my car during like -10 ºF commute, and found minimal range hit
I use the memory of your winter post about that frigid experiment to cool off in the hot summer months :)
 
Back
Top