Would you buy an SE at current prices without the $7500 credit?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by polyphonic, Aug 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Would you buy an SE at current prices without the $7500 credit?

1. Yes (I have additional state incentives)

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Yes (I do not have additional state incentives)

26 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. No

46 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Curious to hear from the community!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gosjsgdi

gosjsgdi Member

I need a “I don’t know yet” button. :)

4. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I would still buy it, but I'm a nut that's been driving MINIs for 18 years, so take that into consideration.

Cindy B, wessy, Aquavir and 3 others like this.
  5. lknjlsaf

lknjlsaf New Member

I think I would have still purchased one, but I would have definitely gone down a trim level when that was an option and also not optioned leather. This is purely a commuting vehicle for me and hits most of the sweet spots in what I would need. Great seats, fun to drive, minimal running costs, something not so expensive that I would worry about a huge financial loss if I got rear ended on the interstate. I think the Mini at $30000 base was a great value if you don't need the range.
    Really only wish they had put a little more battery in it, with 160 mile range for a few thousand more it's a no brainer. Then you could actually consider road tripping it a bit and the fuel savings would easily make up the cost delta to the gas cooper S over a couple years.

Cindy B and Hatch like this.
  6. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    I'm in the same camp. We have a 2006 R53 that we've had since 2012. As a consequence, we're MINI people now. I always said the perfect car would be an electric MINI, even before i knew they were coming out with an EV.

You pay a premium for a new MINI, and it seems kind of nuts on the surface. Depending on the generation, saying they are less than reliable is being very generous. Again as a MINI person, i believe the premium you pay for the EV is now totally worth it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ericwc

Ericwc New Member

nope and I would not buy one today even with the $7500 now that the base trim level is gone. Glad I ordered one when I did.

I bought an EV based on value, at the time Mini provided the best value. The cool factor of a mini was a bonus. They no longer provide the best value especially due to the limited range unfortunately.

Godfrey and yoomini like this.
  9. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

Using TheSmokingTire's is car X a Y thousand dollar driving experience question, the answer for me is yes, for my unique wants/needs/experience, and for the fun factor, it's worth it to me. I'd order the identical Sig+ configuration I have now too.

polyphonic likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I waited 10 years after the MINI-E whetted my appitite for a MINI electric. I cursed the i3, but changed my mind and am happy for all the R&D bucks BMW poured into it because those bucks are now benefiting me.

Then, on July 19th, 2019, when MINI unveiled the production version of the SE, I was so gung-ho to finally get an electric MINI Cooper that I'd have bought one for any MSRP under $50K. Unfortunately it on that day I learned Marketing had added the fake hood scoop not present on the SE drawings, concepts, and prototypes. My $50K ceiling made it easy to pop $38K for an Iconic trim SE when the actual prices were revealed.

Value? I didn't need no stinkin' value! I wanted a fun MINI Electric--and I've been driving in bliss for two weeks short of two years. It was once great that others could enjoy the same driving bliss for under $30K, but there are no Iconic bells and whistles I don't appreciate.

Texas22Step likes this.
  11. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

My dream has always been to own a Mini…..I love small cars but husband never liked them. The fact that I was able to buy an electric with the $7500 credit helped but I would have bought one no matter what. After 53 years of marriage and usually getting car/truck that husband wanted it was my turn! Husband likes it - probably more than he admits. We do have a BMW X3 for longer trips.

Xin Dai likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

No. I have enough other cars. I wanted to dip my toe in the EV water. Bought the base because HK wasn't on the sig plus last summer. I kept it a few months, liked it, sold it, and rolled the $ into a sig plus with HK, and in a color my wife prefers.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You must have been a child bride! For decades I always drove a small sporty car with a manual transmission (eg. Porsche 914 2.0) and my wife didn't want to drive them. It was such a great day when she returned from her first spin in the SE and exclaimed how much fun it was to drive! Finally, she gets to drive the fun car in the family. Since the SE arrived, we've put only about 2,000 miles on her Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, while racking up 10K miles on our SE. (Note that I didn't say "my" SE.)

wessy and yoomini like this.
  15. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

This is a really good question. Knowing now how much I love the Mini SE, I would say yes, I would still get it without the credit. BUT, if I didn't know how much I was going to love it, it most certainly would have been no... if that makes sense?

Cindy B, TsylviaNH and insightman like this.
  16. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I totally get it!!! I already knew I liked the F56 so buying the SE was no-brainer for me. I wanted an electric car but it had to be small, have 2 doors, and have a ton of aftermarket parts. A few years back, I thought about the Fiat 500e but I just could not do it. When I bought my 2019 Cooper S, I had no idea I would end up liking it as much as I did. The SE was my perfect car, I did not care about the range, there is a ton of aftermarket parts, and it can be bought in a high trim level with lots of options and a nice interior. So yes, I would have bought without any rebates if I had to.

yoomini and insightman like this.
  17. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Hard no. A full rebate ($10k between local and federal) is the only way the SE makes sense to me.

Ericwc likes this.
  18. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Since I drove gas MINIs prior to the SE but always wanted an electric vehicle, I ordered it the day it was announced. I knew I'd hate driving any other EV on the (North American) market, or couldn't see paying the high price for something like a Tesla. Not to mention the styling of other EVs didn't appeal to me, nor the touch-screen controls everyone else seems to have. And the fact the SE basically costs the same as the ICE MINI Hardtop is astounding, so the rebate was a bonus but didn't factor into my decision at all.

nowkent, MichaelC and insightman like this.
  19. I got a bare bones Signature SE for $30k, which will effectively be $22,500 when counting my tax credit. This is just a terrific value for a very fun car with a generous amount of standard equipment for the base model. Now with no $30k base option any longer, and no $7,500 credit, we’re talking over $10,000 more to get your foot in the door with a new SE. It’s a fabulous car but that’s an entirely different value proposition.

yoomini, Ericwc and wessy like this.
  20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you I get signature too but when I ordered a car in November 2021 and have to wait to March I start shopping around and lucky me locate a car in two weeks 65 miles away put deposit $1000 and I week later I pic up a car only my request was BRG the rest I don’t care but I get roof rails and heated steering wheel too. Was the best decision about to buy SE ever without waiting.Love a car. And $7500 tax credit is great .I lost $1000 credit in NY bc my SE come out of State not NY .But this still is a bargain.

21. Minicris

Minicris Member

Yes. We'd love to have that tax credit, but plan to take the one we have on order with a September production either way. What remains to be decided is if we'll trade in our 2022 se or keep both cars.

22. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Without factoring in state corporate income taxes, it would only take a $35,715 purchase to recoup $7,500 in federal corporate tax savings (over time). This is really a moot point for the wealthy.

23. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

After owning one for a couple months, yes. I'd still buy my SE.

Cindy B and insightman like this.