Worldwide recall according to this 11 Oct news item.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KiwiME, Oct 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Jamcan39, navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

4. Maple

Maple Member

Since no exact cause was found I assume Hyundai will check if BMS has been upgraded first then check all cells of the battery see if there is any abnormal. If bad cells are found Hyundai will replace partial or whole battery. If no problem found Hyundai will do nothing except for the BMS upgrade. We will know soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

What electriceddy said: I started to wonder, is it LG or some other battery source that's
    in question? Why the nominal geographic limit, if cars for all markets used the same brand
    of cells, or maybe they didn't??

Now my local EV-aware friends are all like "OMG battery fires you're driving a bomb".
    The press needs to spend less time sensationalizing this and more time holding Hyundai's
    feet to the fire for a straight story.

_H*

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

It could be that they all use the same cells, but since the majority of vehicles were sold in S.K. (and since they are clearly getting pressure from the S.K. government) they started by focusing their efforts on that market to start. Looks like they're expanding it to all markets now.

Could also be that there is some other difference between models made for the S.K. market and overseas, due to regulatory requirements, and they were thinking that might affect the issue. I don't know nearly enough about car manufacturing to put that out as a real possibility, though. It seems the *actual* problem is still poorly understood, and the BMS update coming as part of the recall is more for diagnostics than an actual fix.

Yeah the optics of it all are poor, to be kind about it. The only defense is to point out that vehicle fires in general are a lot more common that you might imagine, though that's little comfort. It's a numbers game; whenever you have a ton of energy bottled up, there's always a risk of it getting out in an unintended (and dramatic) way.

Nothing to do now but wait and see if I get a recall notice... o_O

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I personally am hoping the September 2019 start date for this is accurate, since mine was well before that.

Yellerledbetty likes this.
  9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I think of it kind of like the oil light on an ICE car. It tells you something is wrong, and you need to address it, but it doesn't diagnose the underlying problem.

Anyone who has already had the BMS update might not even get a recall.

Not only is the optics poor, but Hyundai has not communicated at all about what is going on. Even when the BMS update was being pushed out, they really told us next to nothing about what it actually changed or why it might be important. My initial reaction was that it wasn't urgent, and I could get it done whenever I got around to going into the dealer again. And with covid, that got pushed off quite a bit.

And they need to make a strong commitment that replacement batteries will be readily available for those cars that need it.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Do we know for certain that the BMS update that removed the AUX Battery Saver function etc. is the update related to this recall?

Maybe they started seeing some results from that update's rollout in the form of failures/warnings and decided the problem was bad enough to go full recall rather than risk continuing to do it more covertly.

12. Not that it's yet statistically significant (IMO) but an earlier article stated that no cars in S.K. with the BMS update had experienced failures.

Here's another article that has some interesting information (and I'm guessing speculation as to whether it's relevant) regarding capacity margins.
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2020/10/419_297453.html

Other recent articles I've read (there are many) refer to a 2019 incident in Australia, while earlier articles mention Austria. I think I would have heard if there was one in Australia. Many articles seem to suffer from automatic translation errors.

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I think you are right.

Hyundai is not communicating very well at all. They didn't originally tell us what the BMS update actually did, they have not yet told us what the proposed recall will do. And for those of us waiting for replacement batteries, they aren't telling us when the batteries will be delivered. I was kind of hoping that this latest flurry of news would release the logjam, and that we might get some information. But so far nothing.

14. Hyundai's Samsung moment
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-38714461#:~:text=Samsung's%20probe%20into%20its%20Galaxy,botched%20recall%20and%20re%2Drelease.
    Sound familiar? :oops:

navguy12 likes this.
  15. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

One of the things that the BMS update does is tighten the spec on maximum cell deviation. At least one car in the UK had to have a battery replaced after the update. (Info from a Hyundai tech)

navguy12 likes this.
  16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I carefully read the thread, and it seemed like the car owner either got a buyback or a replacement car.

I read the TSB for what is involved to swap the actual battery. It really isn't a horrible procedure, but you do need to have the new battery on hand before you can really start. Maybe it is the case that they were holding these back until they were more sure that the issue was resolved - I don't know. Another case of horrible communication from Hyundai.

18. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

It would be helpful if Hyundai would let us know if all the fires were charged up to 100%. If it's a 5% decrease in capacity, I could theoretically, live with that if it means no fires.. but 20% would be too much.

19. Maybe this has been asked but what are we supposed to do in the meantime? Park the car outside? Not charge above 80%?

20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Good question. Hyundai hasn't said anything.

For you I guess the 1st question is whether you have had the BMS update or not.

21. I can understand Hyundai not wanted owners to second-guess their expertise.
    I think any permanent loss in capacity would generate consumer class-action lawsuits no matter how small the loss. Hyundai will no doubt consider their position and let us know in due course.

If you have the BMS update perhaps you only need to look out for any dash warnings, not that we've been advised how that works. If you don't (e.g. me), best get it updated.