Window Freezing

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Jan 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. We don’t have snow during winter where we live here in NZ; but I came across this -> .

Has anybody tried this or has an alternative solution?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Subbies also have frameless doors, believing that it is better (safer) to incorporate that material into the rest of the body structure. At the time I owned one, I lived somewhere with not-infrequent ice storms, yet never had a problem.

Now OTOH, the passenger side window of my current car (which has frames) doesn't want to roll down when it is cold, due to the glass sticking to the seal...

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Even after I scrape the ice off the bottom of my side windows, they frequently fail to drop when I open the door. I can hear them trying, which is distressing. It gets cold in Germany, so I must assume BMW/MINI anticipated this problem and it won't cause window-motor-burnout.

5. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

My Beetle convertible had frameless doors and this product was recommended by VW and it worked.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The presenter begins by saying if your MINI's side window doesn't drop but you manage to get the door open and then you close it while it's still stuck in the fully raised position you might break the window. I can't understand how a product that lubricates the window seal can help a window that remains stuck in the fully raised position after the door is open, when the window is no longer in contact with the seal.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Cool, Scott in the video recommends it too to preserve the seals.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  9. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

It's a preventative measure. Just like getting a colonoscopy. Do something to prevent future death.

Urbanengineer and azausa like this.
  10. Interesting product, certainly worth a look. I've always used a thin smear of petroleum jelly on all my Mini's, which has worked well, though admittedly, only as far as -1 or -2 degrees go. I seize up at those temperatures, so if it was -20 or more... it would be, stuff the car... hibernate!

Urbanengineer likes this.
  11. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

I use a silicone lubricant on my door seals and boot seal to prevent freezing. I’ve had a few cars with frameless windows and the silicone lubricant has always worked well. I’m currently using the WD-40 version of silicone lubricant and seems to be working well so far. I put a sealing strip around my charging port door as there always seemed to be a lot of water in there after rain. A user on the MiniF56 forum did it on his car so I thought I’d try it too. I coated it liberally in silicone lubricant after it was installed so that it wouldn’t freeze shut, and after heavy rain, snow and freezing temperatures here over the past week, there was not a drop of water inside the charging port.

Urbanengineer, wessy and MichaelC like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I'll look into this. I admit my Mini is garaged and hasn't had issues. I'm never out long enough to get full freeze overs when I'm not garaged.