Wheel size advice

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by VividRyan, Apr 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. VividRyan

VividRyan New Member

Hi, new SE owner here. I do not like the stock wheels so looking for something a little bigger without adding too much weight.

Curious if 17x8 with a +35 offset will work? thank you

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

4. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Stock wheels:
    17" 17x7 54 offset
    16" 16x6.5 54 offset

I really like this site to figure out offset by comparing stock to different sizes.
    https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

For reference, you can put 15mm spacers on all 4 corners with the stock 16" or 17" wheels and still easily fit without any poke.

So, with this information, 17x8 with 35mm offset will EXTEND an extra 32mm. These will stick out beyond the fenders and look pretty bad.

Another source is ECS, Tire Rack, and Discount Tire. They filter all of their wheels by Make and Model to only show you wheels that fit.

insightman, VividRyan and CsD like this.
  5. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Going along with what others said, an 8" wide wheel with 35mm offset will bout outside of the fenders.

To put it in perspective, an 8" wide wheel would need about a 67mm offset to sit around the factory position. It would need around 45mm to sit flush. So somewhere in between those would be what you'd want in terms of how far you'd bring the week out towards flush.

Jim In Tucson likes this.
  6. VividRyan

VividRyan New Member

I was looking at this. This is a 18x8 on a 35 offset and I think it looks great. I decided to go with a 17x8.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

FYI, the SE has slightly different fenders than the regular Cooper S (just the plastic bit) which may affect fit vs your attached picture.

This is 17x7.5 with a 47mm offset and barely clears the shock. To fit an 8" wide wheel, that extra 0.5" would have nowhere to go but out.
    20211101_160556.jpg

CsD likes this.
  9. CoachCookie

Looks real good like that! And confirms how good the 17x7.5 w/ 45mm offset will look!

Are you using 205/45/17 tire size btw?

CsD likes this.
  10. Carsten Haase

215/45R17s but honestly I'd probably go with 225 next time, these are a little more stretched than I'd like (but I like a more meaty tire look)

Info
    Link2

11. CoachCookie

Ah, I've seen that thread before. Just didn't put two and two together. Thanks for passing along the info!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

After re-visiting @Carsten Haase's post where he says he hates wheel bolts, I thought I'd point out these wheel-hangers that make mounting my wheels much easier. You just screw them into a couple of bolt holes, slide the wheel on, install 3 bolts, remove the wheel hangers, and install the other 2 bolts. There are fancier ones than these, but I don't need fancier ones.

upload_2022-4-6_11-39-4.png

MichaelC likes this.
  14. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Lol I was going to mention this! I got my M12x1.5 hangers from Ultimate Garage when I was ordering some Prevost and Facom tools, but alas he doesn’t carry M14x1.25. Decent SS hangers are available on the South American river site for a few bucks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    insightman likes this.
  15. Carsten Haase

Easier yes (I definitely use one), but what if you could have a wheel hanger that was already built in to the hub? That would make wheel changes so much easier! If only such a product existed... Lol

CoachCookie, insightman and SameGuy like this.
  16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Maybe I’m a sloppy worker, but as parts age, I find it much less likely that I have trouble starting the threads with lug bolts than nuts. I have my IR set to minimum torque (~70 Nm), do a couple of turns by hand, then zip until just snug (the torque wrench does most of the work when I lower the car). There are other benefits to bolts over nuts, but this one is the most relevant to a driveway dilettante like me.

17. Carsten Haase

I had no issues with the 24 year old studs and lug nuts on my Miata (or other cars I've owned), but even if I did I could just tap the studs out and put brand new ones in for ~$50. How much does a new hub cost?

Not totally related to lug nut vs bolt but the fine pitch threads on the MINI also make me nervous.

The only benefits I'm aware of for lug bolts are manufacturing cost and (to some) appearance but maybe I'm missing something?

SameGuy likes this.