Aftermarket Wheels

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MichaelC, Oct 17, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

While I love the fact that our SEs came with high performance summer tires, the seasons are changing here and I need something a little more appropriate for the weather. Today I installed Neuspeed RSe05 wheels (17"x7.5" ET40) with 225/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires.

These wheels are available in black and gun metal. I chose gun metal to help tie in the Vigorous Grey grille and boot lid handle.
    IMG_0296.jpeg IMG_0306.jpeg IMG_0307.jpeg IMG_0308.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Oh those look nice. Since I doubt I'll be able to get electric revolite wheels in time for winter I may have to go with something else, and I'll give these some thought. I want a simple spoke design like that to avoid snow pack in the wheels.

Wow, they're only 16.5 lbs, that's about the same weight as the Power Spoke.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    MichaelC likes this.
  4. idrw

idrw Member

@MichaelC does the wheel/tire combo poke out of the wheel well? Also how is the ride and noise?

5. MichaelC

@idrw They are nearly flush at the very top of the wheel arch, and poke out a bit fore and aft.
    IMG_0295.jpeg IMG_0305.jpeg
    Ride is a bit more communicative than stock but not harsh. I aired the tires up to 39psi in anticipation of much cooler weather, so that is likely contributing. Road noise seems to be on par with or slightly quieter than the stock Hankooks. I should get more miles on them before I form any strong opinions.

Toi and idrw like this.
  6. idrw

idrw Member

Excellent! Sometimes Michelins can be fatter than what the numbers suggest. I am glad it worked out to be just right for the SE..
    Now what you need is the JCW big brake kit (or this) to go with the wheels...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Mmmm, that poke is perfect. It's amazing how half an inch makes all the difference to my eye. (That's what she said! )

I'm getting the spacers.

MichaelC, insightman and Toi like this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I look forward to seeing your before/after photos.

10. MichaelC

Yeah, these wheels were designed specifically to accommodate the larger JCW brakes. But I can't say I was really thinking about a big brake kit for this car. Doesn't seem like an EV-appropriate upgrade to me?

LOL!

This is maximum acceptable poke for me. (That's not what she said!) It will likely increase wind resistance at highway speeds, but that's not a big enough concern for me. It's certainly too much poke for anyone wanting to lower their SE (I don't plan to), but that could be somewhat mitigated by the next-smaller size tires.

Pro tip: The North American Motoring site has a Tire Rim Calculator you can use to evaluate fitment changes between 2 sets of wheels and tires.

11. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

MichaelC likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Dang, those look really nice. I am curious about the efficiency impact at speed, I'd imagine it would be a few % max but who knows.

14. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Well I decided to buy these wheels so I should soon be able to find out if they impact efficiency! I kept the stock 205/45r17 tires so they're a bit more stretched than on the 17x7 cosmos rims, but it looks fine.

[​IMG]

MichaelC, Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  15. MichaelC

fizzit likes this.