What you did for your Mini SE Today?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Mar 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I installed a temperature probe under a cover of engine /motor to monitor temperature inside a bay where every think is so compact is really no air circulations .That motor with plastic cover looks like all gasoline cars to cover all staff what is there .and keep HEAT inside .Havoc system on SE is the most complicated system of all EV’s .That car the most efficient temperature to run is between 70’ to 104’ but once you go over between 120’ to 130’ degree you fry a motor , hopefully the car shuts of .I NY is still cold but if get to higher temperatures I will try to monitor temperatures under a hood ,with motor cover and without.Why I’m try to engage members with this conversation bc in California people have already issues with hot weather when charging a SE .I show a pictures how I did my project a thermometer is plug in USB port /5 volt . Don’t explain all heat pump ,compressors etc. I know a staff how this works.

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Digital thermometer with probe $10 on Amazon I have to extend a wires they are to short to reach a top of circle

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If heat under the hood was a problem, wouldn't MINI have made the fake hood scoop functional?

SpeedyRS likes this.
  5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Great question I believe if scoop is open on gas engine is no problem on electric with water coming in something can blow up is my opinion only

6. insightman

The hood scoop on the ICE-powered MINI Cooper S is also fake.

Lainey likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

That is really stupid .Is my first Mini and a car is a blast to drive I’m very spirited driver and I call a car race car how well is hold a road I have experience with bmw I 3 for 6 years which was faster bc 550 lbs lighter

9. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I can guarantee that all of the electric components in the engine bay are IP rated, likely IP69K for high pressure spray. Otherwise there would be giant warnings everywhere about never going into a car wash.

Zim and SpeedyRS like this.
  10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I clean my engine bay on ace cars with spray for 50 years and I never going to introduce water to my electric vehicle under a hood whatever is specification requirements saying OK

11. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Only silicone protection by hand and air blowing dust away !

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The hood scoop on my 2003 Mini S was functional and fed cool air for the supercharger. (And what a wonderful sound that made!)

wessy likes this.
  14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I believe only the first-generation (BMW) MINIs had functional scoops, which was model years 2000-2006. Second generation changed the engine layout:

The Cooper S retains the bonnet scoop in order to keep an association with the outgoing model – although the relocation of the intercooler to the front of the engine means that the scoop is now purely decorative.

Not to mention driving in heavy rainstorms...

15. insightman

None of John Cooper's Minis had a bonnet scoop, but none of them had a supercharger, either.

upload_2022-3-5_0-39-24.png

wessy and SpeedyRS like this.
  16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

This morning I drive 5 miles outside temperature was 40’F a probe on top of a motor show me 54’F all a time highway speed .I need higher outside temperature to find out what temperature is under hood.

17. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Mini decided that the turbocharger was better. Not sure that I agree with that, I really liked the supercharger.

18. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

With a temp rise of 14° it seems like things would be ok until it's above 105F ambient...Interesting data to collect for sure!

19. Carsten Haase

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand the concern with under-hood temperature?

All of the critical components (battery, motor, inverter) are liquid cooled so air temperature doesn't matter.

Discreet components used in EVs almost always have internal temperature sensors that they are monitoring and can derate if necessary to protect themselves

From the i3 documentation, there are also two temperature sensors inside the electric motor, one in the inverter, one in the DC/DC converter, multiple in the battery pack, and at least one in the coolant itself.

drdunkyn likes this.
  20. insightman

Don't all companies selling vehicles in the US routinely test each model in Death Valley?

That said, my first new car, a Porsche 914 2.0, suffered vapor lock on really hot days. The engine would just quit and I would have to sit next to the road for 20 or 30 minutes waiting for it to cool down. The car's second owner had the fuel pump moved away from the exhaust manifold and that solved the problem. A Porsche! (Well, sort of a Porsche--it had their name on it.)

wessy likes this.
  21. High Voltage Sign.jpg

wessy likes this.
  22. Zim

Zim Member

I'd imagine elevated internal temperatures could be a concern in the city, with high ambient temperatures. Not so much with active airflow on the open road. The compartment is far from air tight.

Critical electrical components should be actively cooled, but keep us informed as I'm curious myself.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

23. Carsten Haase

Unlike ICE, EVs generate less/no heat when they are idling or going slowly so a city would actually be the lowest temp driving. Higher power = more heat so the worst place would be on a track (see numerous examples of tracked EVs limiting power)

insightman likes this.