What maintenance has you done on Clarity Plug-in Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by qtpie, May 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

Just wonder if anyone has performed any type of maintenance on your Clarity Plug-in Hybrid. I am looking for maintenance and "to-do" tips so that I can perform same on our car. Thanks.

AndyBA likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

One free maintenance at the dealer, the A1 which is an oil change and tire rotation. It took two hours. Next time I'll go to Jiffy-Lube for oil changes.

4. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

I have Toyota Sienna 2017 and noticed that it also has Oil 0W 20. The Toyota dealer changed the oil for me and ask replacement after 8000Km ( 5000 miles)
    I was looking on the same item in USA and for Toyota Sienna 2017 , the oil change frequency is 10 000 miles /1 year.
    I have two questions:
    1) is it might be due to reason for synthetic oil v/s Non synthetic ?
    2) Do we need to worry for similar issue for Clarity ? and Our clarity have Synthetic oil ?

Thanks all.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Most who bought this year are too early to have any real maintenance come up yet but here’s some info I’ve accumulated:
    -We can assume that with the majority of our driving being EV that some maintenance items will time out rather than come due from milage.
    -We don’t know if the Maintenance Minder (MM) will use only HV miles or total miles to calculate oil change intervals. Obviously total miles would lead to unnecessary oil changes. Our owner’s manual does state that even if the MM does not give a code A, the oil/filter must be replaced at least every 12 months.
    -Same scenario for brake fluid. Even though we hardly use the physical brake pads and rotors, manual says to change brake fluid every 36 months or with MM code 7. Pads and especially rotors may well be life time w mostly regen braking.
    -Same scenario for engine coolant. MM code 5 or every 10 years which ever comes first (source: underhood sticker)
    -Spark plugs are NGK Iridiums so I don’t expect MM code 4 to occur until 80-100,000 miles.
    -Engine air cleaner will not be used up if MM tracks total miles for it. I’m doing 90/10 EV/HV, so my total miles would have to reach 150,000 just to get to the dusty conditions change milage of 15,000m. Again, we’ll have to wait a while to see what the MM does for this.
    - Transmission fluid should track total miles since it’s used all the time. We don’t know what the MM trips at, but the mountainous/low speed accelerated change schedule is 47,400 m/3yr. So I wouldn’t expect a code 3 before then.
    -And your MM trivia question of the day:
    Why is there no Code 6 listed?

Because that is the code for changing the rear diff fluid on AWD Hondas.

I installed puzzle locks on the wheels and the correct torque for our lug nuts is 80 Ft/lbs. So don’t let the clowns at your local garage use an air gun set at who knows what force.

For to do tips, first thing is to get a coat of wax on it. Mine came w nothing on the paint at all. Beads up water nicely now.

Also, apply RainX to outside glass and wiper fluid and you’ll hardly ever have to use the wipers over 35-40 mph.

Keep front Honda emblem clean as that’s where radar sensor/emitter is located. More of a problem w icy conditions. Keep windshield area clean where camera is located for best Honda Sensing operation.

Try the wide/fish-eye option on the backup camera to partially compensate for not having rear cross traffic alert.

Be safe w the Honda Sensing. Realize it’s for driver ASSIST not self driving.

6. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

We have close to 9000 miles on ours, A01 which was oil change, inspection, tire rotation came up at 6000 miles. Was like $60 and took less than 1 hour.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

Syn oil is fine for Clarity engine. Doesn’t matter if it’s full dino or full syn, the change interval is the same according to Honda.

9. KentuckyKen

Viking, approximately how much of that 9,000 miles were HV with ICE and how many months elasped since purchase?

10. Viking79

I want to say we were around 80 gallons of gas when that came up the first time. Maybe it was a bit less than that. It was cold for 3 or 4 weeks right after we bought it (like high below 10F for most of that time) and engine ran a lot from that, and a couple road trips of up to 1000 miles.

We will see how long it goes this summer. Will still have some road trips and gas usage, but see if it goes longer than 80 gallons.

edit: purchased early Dec, so like 3 or 4 months to trigger the oil change.

11. KentuckyKen

Thanks. So 80 gal at even a generous 50 mpg would be only 4,000 miles equivalent usage on the engine. If the oil is less than I year old, then I would say the oil could go the full year if the MM is triggering on total milage and not HV milage (along w it’s other factors). Of course it could also be triggering early due to all the stops and starts of the engine.
    I’m kind of thinking the oil would last longer, but how many months did it take before the A0 showed up!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Viking79

Something like 4 months, but made it me wonder if first service is always A01. I am also hoping that it wasn't tied to me reaching 6000 miles and needing a tire rotation and adding an oil change just because I am there for tire rotation. Once I am out of warranty will change the oil once per year no matter miles on engine and do tire rotations every 5k miles or so. For a gas only car I could see lumping oil and tire rotations together, but hope they wouldn't do that for the Clarity.

14. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

I want your dealer - my A1 was $90 for oil change and tire rotation - ouch (but I also have 6000 miles since 12/12/17, a good number of which are HV only miles).

15. KentuckyKen

I agree. I put so little HV miles on car that the I year interval will be fine for me. I wonder with you, can the MM throw a 1 (rotate tires) without the A (oil change)? In about 6 more months I’ll find out since I’ll be at 6,000 miles with virtually no ICE operation.
    FYI: Honda has stated for other models that the MM will move up things like oil changes to tire rotation schedule to try to keep service visits to a minimum. Wouldn’t surprise me that our Claritys do the same thing and with the HV range miscalc would not surprise me that the oil change milage would be erroneously based on total and not HV miles.

16. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

Had our A01 service yesterday. Free oil change and $27 for the tire rotation with no issues (or groundhogs) found.

The service guy had zero interest in the HV range issue - said something like " there's probably a TSB for it". No one has mentioned there being any Clarity TSBs that I have seen here so I highly doubt it. From speaking with some techs from the same dealership a few days ago I got the impression that it might have been the first Clarity they've had in for maintenance.

geo

Pegsie and ngtroup like this.
  17. S L .

S L . Active Member

Has anyone reached 12,000 mi and get the maintenance reminder again?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. Viking79

Yes, came around 13,000 miles and coming up to it again soon (within a couple weeks). At about 18,500 now I think.

19. Tailwind

Tailwind Active Member

OUCH! You drive a lot, Viking. My car is about 2 months younger than yours (1/29/18) but I only have 5200 miles on my odometer. Roughly 800 miles per month. You appear to be doing about 2200 miles per month, almost triple my usage.

20. S L .

S L . Active Member

It looks like the maintenance is set around every 6,000 miles then. Please let us know if you get the reminder when you reach 19,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

21. Viking79

Yes, too much lately. Although a couple people on the board here will pass me soon as they drive more like 3,000 mi/mo.

I am very glad we got rid of our 17-19 mpg average minivan... already saved like 800 or 900 gallons of fuel. Hopefully this is as reliable as other Hondas I have owned as the bumper to bumper warranty is already half over ;)

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I imagine our meager 221 miles/month represents the other end of the scale.

23. bfd

bfd Active Member

We've got almost 8 months on ours (12/20-8/20). Just passed the 3600 mile mark. We've used almost 30 gallons of gas (including the delivery tank), although we've only bought 22 so far. The current tank is almost full (since the end of June).

So it's lots of short trips for this car; all of them within EV range. I'm beginning to think we might hit a year without ever getting a notification for service. I did just refill the windshield washer fluid, though. LOL