Was my 2021 Hyundai Kona EV a good choice?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lars, Nov 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To some extent this post is a make me feel good note. According to this recent comparison the answer is a definite yes - that is if the car meets your transportation needs.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+InsideEvs+%28Inside+EVs%29

Even after the hassle/wait to get my new HV battery installed the Kona EV is a solid value. Take some time and look at the values on the charts. Compare purchase prices and power efficiency this car shines for the dollar - and it is a lot of fun to drive!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Are you sure the link is correct?

4. Mistake in the link;)

5. Sorry folks, I have corrected the link.

6. Fixed!~ I hope.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Heck, the Kona is an awesome car. I loved it! "Unfortunately" I accepted the Buyback since there is no HV battery in sight for me here in NM. But I miss the car. I'd buy it again.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Great car. My test drive convinced me that the shared platform was adequate. We preferentially drive my Niro EV - and it has the personality of a toaster.

You get in. It covers 300 miles on a full charge.
    It just goes - no secret handshake required.

The Kona is essentially the same; big enough, but not too big.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Efficiency for the buck (and availability), Kona electric ranks very well.:)

11. NRH

NRH Active Member

It's an awesome car. There still isn't another truly affordable BEV that competes, in terms of range and fun-factor. I'd absolutely buy it again. Before my battery replacement finally happened I was hoping to get a buy-back so that I could just buy another Kona EV!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

After 19 months of owning my 2020 Kona I still love it. Twice I've had to rent ICE cars while on trips and... ugh.

14. Now with my new battery on my 2019, I feel like I have a new car again. And I actually like it even better now than when I first bought it. I certainly have no interest in looking to buy any other EV. What's not to like. I have the Ultimate trim with the all the comfort and driver assist features, and the range is still up there with the best of the new EVs coming out now. It is also a very nimble city car, very enjoyable to drive. So I plan on keeping my Kona for quite a few more years to come.

Kirk, arhnold and Esprit1st like this.
  15. Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  16. Comparing the VW id4, all Tesla models, Audi e-tron, the Kona EV and the KIA e-Niro. If you are just interested in the results, the summary results are at 34:54.

https://priuschat.com/threads/vw-id4-v-tesla-model-s-3-x-v-audi-e-tron-v-hyundai-kona-v-kia-e-niro-range-efficiency-and-charging.224391/

The bottom line? In fuel efficiency with 4.7mi/kWh (7.7km/kWh) the Kona EV is at the top with the best. The speed of charging "needs improvement" - what will likely never happen.

So after a year of ownership the car's performance is better than most. True one must also consider smaller weight/size. Comparison with the the slightly bigger/heavier KIA e-Niro proves the point.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Yes, for not being a BEV only car, the Kona EV is indeed impressive, both in range and efficiency. And still rivals the best out there. Here is the Edmunds real world range test compared to EPA. It really shows how conservative Hyundai is with their estimates compared to Tesla.
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html#chart
    And here is an extract from you vid link which also show efficiency, again Kona is among the best out there.
    upload_2021-11-18_11-42-57.png

18. Lars likes this.
  19. I signed it too, although very much doubt whether Hyundai would do it. Maybe you should make separate thread to make more people aware.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. electriceddy likes this.
  21. I agree. A separate thread "Petitons/requests for changes and updates from Hyundai" would be useful.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. I guess this thread would do better if replicated in the product specific sections.

This will be my first real winter with this car. (We kept the iMiEV in the garage from Xmas till April.) I very seldom use DC chargers even in the warmer months. I set the 'Winter Mode" on and we will see.

I hope you and your folks are OK considering the crazy weather on the west coast. I used to live in Vancouver - in spite of the frequent rain I have pleasant memories.