Vinyl stripes matching energetic yellow?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by cmdonnell, Nov 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cmdonnell

cmdonnell Member

We recently got our Mini SE which is Midnight Black (so a very dark blue) with yellow mirror caps.

We wanted to try to get the dealer to put a stripe on that matched the mirror caps, but they said they wouldn't be able to get vinyl to match. I tried researching online and while I can find Energetic Yellow Paint (code C4N) there's no sign of anyone producing matching vinyl and I could't quite find places that would make custom color vinyl stripes although there are people out there that wrap cars for ads with all sorts of colors so it doesn't seem like it should be impossible.

So does anyone know of someone that could produce stripes in that color that I can have installed? I can't be the only one in the world that has wanted this, right?

Doc J, Texas22Step and LaurieS like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. LaurieS

LaurieS Active Member

There is a local guy in KC that does all the vinyl for our dealer. I had a conversation with him about maybe doing something custom on my SE after it gets here. He said he could match the color. I too have the yellow mirror cap. He travels to do work or maybe he can ship the stripes to your dealer for install.

Check out his work at his website and his contact info is there as well. http://www.motoringstripes.com/

MichaelC likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I found a web page that had black with energetic yellow pinstripe bonnet stripes, but due to an unfortunate upgrade I lost the page before I could order them. Still looking for them, maybe on Etsy?

MINI Graphics in the UK has the option to get yellow stripes, but I don't know if they're energetic yellow. I had found a place that let you order by Pantone color but I also lost that page.

5. cmdonnell

cmdonnell Member

I had looked to see if there was something like that but hadn't found anything. I'd imagine something marked as just 'yellow' isn't going to be the same yellow since it's different enough from what I'd just call 'yellow'. As far as Pantone, do you know a Pantone number for Energetic Yellow?

As far as KC guy let me know if he comes through on matching the color. I might contact him if nothing better comes up. There are some local stripe guys (I'm in Northern NJ) that I'm looking to check with as well but figured I'd check here before reaching out to them.

6. LaurieS

LaurieS Active Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LaurieS

LaurieS Active Member

He personally told me he has done that color and can match it. Reach out to him, he does work all over the U.S.

9. Puppethead

Posted a long time (a year) ago, taken second-hand from the (now non-public) MetaWhat Facebook MINI group.

Energetic Yellow
    Pantone 612C
    CMYK: 0/0/100/23​

Now we just need the same for the Vigorous Grey to get the other MINI SE accent color.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    wessy, Texas22Step and MichaelC like this.
  10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I emailed www.rockymountaingraphics.com and got a prompt response. My wife and I were originally going to go with their black/clear checkerboard like the picture below for the hood. Then, after I confirmed the length, and I put the knock off mirror caps on we decided to go with a black/gray checkerboard. I think they can do it, then a friend from PCA reminded me that we had a Mini with interesting decals that were made locally (Colorado) at our ladies day drivers ed event this summer. So I contacted www.artisticreflection.com to see about getting something done custom. She makes cool looking custom fitted eyeshades too.

We are now waiting for Kristan from artistic reflection to get back to us with the following:
    Hood:
    5" wide by about 41" long, 1/8" black pinstripe down the length on each side, 1/8" clear pinstripe inside of that, 4 squares 1.125" black and gray inside the pinstripes.
    Bottom of doors/rockers:
    3 1/4" tall by about 80" long, 1/8" black pinstripe across the top, 1/8" clear pinstripe below it, 3 squares 1" below the pinstripe.

I hadn't thought about a pinstripe along the edge until it was mentioned to me.
    Will keep you posted.
    These are the mirror caps I am trying to duplicate
    [​IMG]
    Had I not installed the mirror caps these would be on our car from www.rockymountaingraphics.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  11. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20211209-092403_Gmail.jpg
    Here is the artist's proof of what I plan on doing. The red pinstripe is clear, should be 5" wide. I am very happy with what I see so far. I don't know what the cost will be for the hood and rockers as I described in the post above, but I assume it will be less for others since I am paying for her time to design it.

If you, or another car owner want this design, contact Kristan at www.artisticreflection.com

I think clear (where my grey is) and yellow (where my black is) would look good on a black car.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I can't make Enigmatic Black (and I'm no Kristan with Photoshop).

upload_2021-12-9_15-25-58.png

14. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

I’ve been in to see my dealer tonight as my car is only a week or so away (Woohoo!) and they’re going to do some gloss black bonnet stripes with energetic yellow pinstripes on my enigmatic black SE. They get in a third party company for all of the custom non-factory fit decals and the dealer says that you can’t tell the difference between factory fit and their work. I’m going to speak to them about some side stripes too. I’m thinking three stripes with the centre stripe thicker than the outer stripes; centre stripe gloss black, top and bottom stripes energetic yellow. I think it’ll tie the mirror caps in nicely to the rest of the car, but I’ll see how it looks with the bonnet stripes first as I don’t want to over-do it. I have done a couple of very child like sketches of what it might look like. Apologies in advance for these CAF25139-CC6C-4DB6-A465-041B5930E4B6.jpeg 3E2F054B-79FC-4425-A2D0-B3ECC13A6D4A.jpeg

Doc J, Texas22Step, wessy and 3 others like this.
  15. ghost

ghost Active Member

Before I picked up my SE, I was prepared to delete all the yellow, but it's grown on me so I'm going to keep it. I like how it only represents the electric version of the Mini. I'm going to match my black and yellow vinyl front license plate to the energetic yellow.

16. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I am doing this with the pinstripe on top. It is the pinstripe that makes me need the custom design.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  17. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I have to say BRAVO to you! Your additions to the enigmatic black with energetic yellow mirror caps looks like it will be really fabulous. Please share (post) a picture of the real thing when you have these applied to your SE!

SpeedyRS likes this.
  18. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

I will do! I hope it’ll look good in the metal.

19. Puppethead

I found them again! From The Pixel Hut. They look great, and the yellow looks really close to Energetic Yellow (the white is the backing paper).

seyellowstripe.jpg

I was originally thinking of getting custom Vigorous Grey stripes with Energetic Yellow pinstripe, but I think that'd be a bit too much grey. And the black looks really nice with the Chili Red.

It's too cold to apply them, so I have to wait at least a few weeks. I just hope I have the patience and skill to do it correctly.

Doc J, Texas22Step, wessy and 2 others like this.
  20. ghost

ghost Active Member

The bright yellow vinyl from cricut is pretty close:

PXL_20220110_213638396.MP.jpg

I made the "mini" stickers for my badges

21. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Oh! Good to know. I don’t think I can justify spending a hundred bucks for SE center caps for my winter wheels (Victory Spoke), but I do have access to a Cricut and I could just make some 54 mm “rings” from bright yellow (and hope they kinda match the yellow Rimblades I might get).

ghost likes this.
  22. Quorn

Quorn Member

I got my number plate from RedBubble
    Go Foxes! mini plate.jpeg

insightman, MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  23. Puppethead

I finally got my stripes on! I may not have done a perfect job, but I think they look fantastic. The energetic yellow pinstripes look even better than I expected. Putting on bonnet stripes turns out to be very easy, using the "hinge method" from this video. I spent more time measuring and positioning than the actual application.

yellowpinstripes.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022