Video - Ioniq 6 Ultimate In Depth Review

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 6' started by Andre Laurence, May 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hyundai Canada lent me the new Ioniq 6 AWD Ultimate electric sedan for 1 week. I made this video to show you the features, details, specs, options and prices, as well as how it drives and handles. Plus, I made a side-by-side comparison with my Kia EV6 GT-Line. I had a lot of fun making this video, as the bloopers show , I hope you enjoy it.

Fritz40, Domenick, R P and 1 other person like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Great job once again Andre. I really enjoy watching your vids because I always learn something new. And you don't hesitate to point out the negatives as well. Some of your "criticisms" may be subjective (most are not), but that is OK. I value your perspective as well even if I don't always agree. And I am open to changing mine, too, if I see something different that I may like.

Keep them coming...

Andre Laurence likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How hard is it to make room for rear-passengers' feet to fit under the front seats? "Oh, we forgot," Hyundai.

5. If the seat is raised up more, then the feet will fit under the seat, but there is so much legroom in the back that it is not really an issue, as I mention in the video.

insightman likes this.
  6. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your comment. I try to remain as neutral as possible and only point out the facts, so I appreciate you seeing that.

Thanks again!

R P likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. And I am sure that is not easy, even for you. Most people tend to review and compare cars to what they have owned or are most familiar with. That is often very obvious with the many auto journalists and their reviews. And they don't like to stray too far from the herd. You are definitely different in that respect. Your authenticity and honesty comes through loud and clear.

Again great job, and look forward to more vids.

9. As Andre said, there is so much room in the back seat, it's unlikely to matter. On a recent press drive with this vehicle I spent some amount of time in the back seat. Head room was reasonable, though not generous (I'm 6'2") and with a short driver, I had over a foot between my knees and the back seat.

20230510_103617.jpg

10. At 6'2" it must have been tight for headroom in the back for you! That is a point I bring up in this video, but the car is not targeted to people who haul tall people around, it is targeted to millenials and young couples, as per the Hyundai PowerPoint presentation.

11. At the presentation I attended a week or two ago in Savannah, Georgia, they pushed back against the suggestion there wasn't enough headroom back there. I found that if I sat up ramrod straight, my head was uncomfortably close to the ceiling. Sitting like I normally would, it was fine. I believe I have a pic (I try to take headroom pics when I try out new cars).
    20230510_105936.jpg

Fritz40 and Andre Laurence like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There may be lots of legroom in the rear seats, but there will certainly be passengers who wish they could slide their feet under the front seats. For example, extra footroom could make it easier for tall people to conveniently create a level lap for their computer without asking the driver to abandon the most comfortable seat height.

Here's an unhappy scenario: a large person sitting in the rear seat is enjoying the extra footroom available because the driver raised the seat. Then, after stopping for a quick charge, the front seat occupants switch places and the new driver drops the seat to its lowest position, crushing the-rear seat occupant's feet. Let's hope they acquired enough charge to reach the nearest hospital.

I'm aware that the design of nearly every part of a vehicle requires compromises. Evidently, Hyundai couldn't design a seat that goes that low while also incorporating a slot for rear passengers' feet. I'd be surprised if Hyundai didn't consider this aspect of their design a compromise.

14. I should've tried sitting behind my front seat setting, which was lower and reasonably far back. Maybe I'll stop by a dealer.

15. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Well to put things into perspective, the IONIQ 6 is slightly longer than a Kia Sorrento. It's also larger than a Ford Transit Connect or Subaru Outback.

ioniq6comp.jpg

The only problem is a double bass might not fit in an IONIQ 6.

16. I'm actually more surprised its 6.9 inches longer than Kia EV6.

17. That surprised me quite a bit as well. I show the overhangs of the cars side-by-side and the Ioniq 6 really protrudes in the front and rear.

Domenick likes this.
  18. Yup,... unfortunately. It is 15 inches longer than my Crosstrek which currently occupies that side of my garage. That's what was nice about my Kona EV, nice and short. But hey, I used to store a big Chevy Avalanche in there, so I do have the room.

19. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Hey RP congrats on ur i6.
    What kind of range you getting ?

20. Well, as you know range varies all over the place based on season how and where you drive. I only got the car in Jul this year, so haven't got a total handle on that yet. But have seen up to 560 kms on a full charge in the summer. But what is really good is how fast it charges, esp on the PetroCanada 350kW chargers. You can barely have a pee before it is done. Even on the free On the Run 150 kW chargers it stays at 103 kW right up to 80%. It is definitely a great trip car.

Anyway, I really do like the car, all around. It does everything I expected and a bit more.

Domenick and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  21. XtsKonaTrooper

Thanks for the info
    I'm really on the fence between upgrading fm 19 Kona to a 24 or plunging and getting an i6.
    I guess the kona has more storage.

22. The 24 Kona is just an upgrade. But the I6 is a whole new world!! You'll also have to get used to everyone thinking it is a Porsche when they first see it. I have the red one, and it often attracts a crowd in a parking lot.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  23. XtsKonaTrooper

Did u get the rwd i6?
    How's range?