"Unable to charge" error after successful DC fast charge session

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MichaelC, Nov 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is a "just me" problem or not, so I'm sharing my experience here to see if others have seen it, too.

My last 2 fast charging sessions (with several trouble-free level 2 charges at home in between) seemed to have an unhappy handshake between the charger and my SE at the end of the session:
    • Initiate charging session and charge to desired level without drama.
    • Tell the charging station "I'm done", either via app or button on station's screen.
    • Confirm on app/station that session is done.
    • Press the release button on the charge handle to disengage it.
    • SE's charge status LED blinks red and instrument cluster displays "Unable to charge" error message. The error message clears after a drive.
    I first experienced this with a recently-installed Francis Energy station. Since it's newer, and a provider I had never used before, I thought perhaps there might be a bug/incompatibility in their handshake to end the session.

Today, I experienced this at an EVgo site that I have used before without problems. Today, however, I used a different charger because the one I usually used was occupied. As I pressed the release button on the charge handle, I noticed my SE's charge status LED was still blinking yellow even though the charger & app indicated the session was done--perhaps I should have hit the unlock button on my key fob first?

Prior to these two sessions, I have had trouble-free fast charging sessions at Electrify America and a couple local ChargePoint stations with much older hardware (off-network due to 3G sunset). Unfortunately, someone finally found out those older ChargePoint stations were serving free charges and turned them off. :(

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

It’s not you. These gremlins are pretty widespread. We don’t fast charge the SEs much but had some handshake issues with them on EA. All confirmed by drivers of other makes/models.

Sometimes holding the top of the plug while initiating solves the handshake problem. Also might want to read Plugshare reviews for those chargers to confirm.

MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'd recommend unlocking the SE before removing the charging cable, that should prevent the SE from thinking it should hold onto it. I always thought the car locked the cable to the car until 100% if the car is locked, though.

MichaelC likes this.
  5. MichaelC

Is that with the newest hardware EA is rolling out? I haven't had any problems with the Signet units at the local EA station.

No problems initiating the charging session; it's when the session ends that it goes awry. I haven't seen any Plugshare reviews mention this problem, which is why I thought I'd start here in case it's SE-specific.

In both cases, I waited in the car for the charge so it wasn't locked. And I suspect that may be the problem, since I didn't think to hit the unlock button on the key fob before disengaging the charge handle since I thought that ending the session at the charger would be sufficient. At my next fast charge opportunity, I'll try that to see if the problem happens again.

6. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Haven’t tried the newest units with the single cable. I have had trouble in the past with Signet, though not with the SE. I’ve only fast charged my SE on ABB. On a long trip in my i3 the ABB unit froze leaving the cable stuck. It took 20 minutes to release. Had a car full of people and pets in hot weather so it was a bit nerve-racking to say the least!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Ok what do I do now, I’m “unable to charge…” at home. I added 12% at a 50 kW DCFC to make it home, and pulled in with 6% showing. I plugged in and unloaded my shopping and didn’t think about it. I was flipping my home screen past the widget, and it still shows 6%, so I went to the garage and it’s “unable to charge.” Uhhhh. Help?

9. SameGuy

YUL
    After multiple un-re-plugs and resetting the breaker, I got the yellow light to flash. It’s slowly charging now. What gremlins are these? It’s unsettling.

10. MichaelC

@SameGuy - Yikes! That is unsettling.

Unfortunately, I can't help you as I've never experienced that problem with my home charger. I have only seen that message when unplugging a newer DC fast charger at the end of a session. Charging at home afterwards was problem-free (thankfully).

11. SameGuy

YUL
    I’ve run it down below 5% a couple of times before with no issues, and that was during hot weather. Yesterday the temperature was hovering around freezing, and I wasn’t flogging the car on the way home. If it happens again, I will signal a service call.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Unlike us oldies, you didn't get a Level 1 charging cord to compare with your Level 2 unit. Maybe you should pick one up cheap on ebay (or, more expensively, a backup Level 2 cord). Did you try plugging your FlexCharger into a 120-Volt outlet?

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to say that if you weren't able to initiate the L2 charge, it could be something like a blocked pin on the control pilot or proximity pilot. I don't think your onboard charger failed, and most of your DCFC stations are FLO with some random Chargepoint dispensers like at IGA Extra.

I mean you could try your MINI/BMW Flexcharger with 120V Level 1 (did they include a 120V adapter?)

15. SameGuy

YUL
    I did, in fact. It didn’t occur to me to resort to it. [facepalm]
    This did in fact occur to me. The DC charge was at a Circuit Électrique O&O at a Desjardins I’ve used a couple of times before. I believe it’s an ABB 50 kW unit (like the older EA combo CCS/CHADeMO boxen).
    They did, but it’s packed away as a set for sale on Kijiji.

16. teslarati97

The chunky 50kW dark blue with start/stop buttons dispensers are FLO (Rio Tinto Alcan). They are rock solid but I have concerns over their 50kW units for snow coverage on the plug. The Level 2 non-winding pedestal ones are the best public L2 chargers.

SameGuy likes this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    I took a side-on pic yesterday, if you can identify it. I believe you’re correct (Rio Tinto/Alcan). The “holster” has a fairly tight-fitting shroud that should keep snow out.
    A670F4AF-3029-4D7C-A45A-6A43A68CEB6F.jpeg

18. teslarati97

Yes but the holster is only as good as the last person who puts it back. I've seen some people not even care and then the holster fills up with snow when windy (not covered like the Level 2 FLO ones).

I was looking at the Saint-Eustache one and it was FLO but the Châteauguay one is the dreaded ABB unit. The picture attached should also be ABB...the silent EV killer (at least a few Nissan Leafs in Horseshoe Bay).

SameGuy likes this.
  19. SameGuy

YUL
    Where are you!? ;)

20. SameGuy

YUL
    St-Rémi.

21. teslarati97

Oh I was just looking at PlugShare pictures. There are a LOT of DC fast chargers if you don't filter the results.

22. SameGuy

YUL
    Yup it’s an ABB.

23. teslarati97

Yeah, this is what the Flo unit looks like.

flocharger.jpg