The worst brake pads on SE making wheels dirty without using brakes so often?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Sep 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My BMW I 3 have an use with rusty brakes rotors but SE rotors are clean and shiny but dust from that brake pads are something is not acceptable the wheels are so dirty I clean them so often they brown deposit on my driveway. I’m willing to change those pads to save on my water bills to clean my wheels. Is anyone with this problem there ? I look around is no pads replacement anywhere as we know they should last 100000 miles nobody manufacture them yet .In a past I was using Nakamoto / Akebono brake pads but they not available for SE bc car is so new.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I have the same issue. 15k miles and my black wheels have a perpetual brown hue. I haven’t checked the brake Life but I’d be shocked if there were close to EOL. That being said, I’ve never had brakes this dusty before! Especially consisting regen…

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. I completely agree, my shiny silver wheels are constantly in need of cleaning. I thought I read somewhere that the SE brakes are simply Cooper "S" brakes? Regardless, if someone finds low dust brake pads, I'll be replacing mine immediately.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I too get a lot of dust, but my pads were still at 10mm after 36,000 miles. The traction control must create a lot of dust with minimal wear, probably because the pads aren't being used to actually stop the car.

6. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Louis W and zellsun like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

9. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

There is a thread around here somewhere where is was explained that brakes get automatically applied in conditions you would not expect, other than stability and traction control.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In the Opinion on regenerating brake thread there's discussion about the brakes substituting for regen braking while the battery is fully charged. I'm amazed how it feels just the same as actual regen braking.

11. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Well i struck out. DON'T get the above pads. However, I can report what tools you'll need for a pad change:

Rears - 7mm hex to remove caliper. You'll need a 3 inch long hex or extension to clear the brake hose (or a plain old 17mm hex key). I had to completely remove the caliper and support it. I couldn't just remove one bolt and swing the caliper up.

You should also retract the parking brake. You could possibly do it without that, but i bought the Bimmerlink app and used with my Vpeak OBDII adapter. It has a parking brake section where you can "activate parking brake service mode". The parking brake must be off first, or you'll get an error. Then you de-activate service mode when you're finished.

Fronts - 13mm socket and 3 inch extension (or 13mm box wrench). 17mm open end wrench to hold the caliper slide when removing the 13mm bolt (which has lock tight applied from factory). The 17mm open end wrench needs to be kind of thin. The one i had was too thick to fit. I had to get a thinner one at the hardware store. You only need to completely remove the bottom caliper bolt, and swing the caliper up to remove the pads.

I'm disappointed. The Akebono rears are completely different and smaller. I didn't even need to unwrap the cellophane to tell they wouldn't work.

The Akebono fronts looked the same just from comparing them to the pads on the car. But then when i took the pads out of the caliper, i saw the 2 sets were different as well. The Akebono pads were slightly larger but the backing plate looked like it might fit in the caliper. But there were these weird clips that kinda looked like sensors that would squeal when pads were worn down. But they weren't in the right position to serve that function. These clips would prevent the pads from sliding in.

Really weird. I'm skeptical that these pads are even the correct set for an ICE f56. I need to do some more detective work.

Louis W likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Yeah, the dust is excessive! It cleans off the wheels fairly easily, but my tyres are staying brown after a few thousand miles.

The SE uses 280mm front brakes. Same size as the Justa uses. The ICE f56S uses 294mm brakes. There is a chance that Justa pads will fit the SE. Mini pads for the SE are only listed for the SE, so they may be an odd all.
    Rear brakes I think are 280mm electric handbrake ones. They take F60 rear pads.

I put EBC redstuff on my R53 and was happy with them. Dust wasn't as bad as many calipers, but still present.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Rogwp likes this.
  14. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Do you know what is 280 mm in inches ?It is 11.0236 and means is almost a1 foot or 30.48 centimeters I don’t see pads this size on any passenger car .

15. I'm no expert but I think 280mm refers to the diameter of the rotor.

16. pictsidhe

Really? 280mm brakes have been on r56 and f56 justas...

More information. I found caliper parts listed for the SE. They are indeed the same as F56 Justas. So, if accurate, Justa pads should fit.

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I look everywhere and is nothing there as brake pads for SE 2020-2023 all web pages just putting there misinformation.Sugestion check i3 brakes assembly maybe they the same on SE

18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Yes 280 mm is a rotor size not a pads on Bmw I 3 Rotor diameter outer was 279.600 mm.

19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

6BED2850-22EB-4D4F-9E15-BF6467D06E83.jpeg

Attached Files:

21. pictsidhe

Interesting. Higher friction GF pads on the back than FF on the front. That could be why the front pads are unique to the SE, low friction. Possibly to make better use of regen braking.
    If my part sleuthing is correct, front pads are same fitment as R56 and F56 Justas. I did have a set of R56 Justa pads in my basement. I will have look for them.

22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

All f platform mini are heavy on brakes. My ICE S has had two replacements in 60k