Roof Rails

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by BackPack, Mar 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BackPack

BackPack Member

I see you can order the SE with roof rails. Has anyone done this? How do they look? Would be great if you can share pictures.

I have a Yakima Skybox and thinking have the roof rails would make it easier to use the skybox if/when I need to carry more things. Looks like it just comes with the rails so cross bars would also need to be purchased. It’s probably just as easy to purchase towers and cross bars from Yakima.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I have the SE factory installed rails and Mini brand crossbars installed at the port. Have had zero problems using my Yakima Highroad rack on them. I made a video about them.

idesignstuff, BackPack and Todd Swift like this.
  4. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Here's mine with the factory cross bars.

idesignstuff, BackPack and GvilleGuy like this.
  6. GvilleGuy

And the crossbars will have an impact on your range. Last year I did a 63% highway trip (around 80 miles) multiples times with and without the crossbars. So - with most other factors being even - the average range with crossbars was around 115 miles, and the average without crossbars was closer to 128 miles.

Rexsio, idesignstuff and wessy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I ordered the roof rail option because it’s nearly impossible to add them after delivery. I may not use them in the near future but they provide some flexibility for hauling luggage, bikes, skiis, etc. Yes, additional pieces are required. I think that they heighten the value of the MINI and, besides, they are unobtrusive. The only drawback has been that it’s a little more difficult to remove snow/ice from the roof. Here’s to Spring!

9. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

This is one item I now wish I had ordered for my SE. I don’t have a use for rails now, but I might someday. But, for resale alone I think it would be a wise investment.

After all, the MINI is a small car. DUH! And the only real expansion space is, well, the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

drdunkyn and GvilleGuy like this.
  10. @GvilleGuy Thanks for sharing this info! Did you notice any perceptible change in cabin noise with the crossbars installed?

11. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Is more options there ,here in one and I’m sure could be trimmed to make width shorter . 1A042EFB-1605-4663-B6A9-7F3AF9D70494.jpeg 0A15641E-9883-43BF-95C9-F3E06B00658D.jpeg

idesignstuff and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GvilleGuy

There absolutely is a noticeable wind noise with the crossbars installed! I kept the crossbars off all winter, but am about to start up bike riding again with warmer weather arriving. So my stereo will be turned up slightly to drown out the crossbar wind noise...

kicksology likes this.
  14. rajiv33

rajiv33 Member

The MINI website says the cross bards have a "Maximum roof load 165 lbs". Does that mean I couldn't use those with a rooftop tent and people inside, or am I misunderstanding what the load capacity actually means?

15. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's dynamic load while moving. Static load will support two adults when parked. Take for example the Porsche 911 C4S rooftop tent:

GvilleGuy and rajiv33 like this.
  16. rajiv33

rajiv33 Member

Perfect! Thanks!

17. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

The cross bars are pretty loud without any engine noise to drown out the wind. I leave the bars on our Clubman all winter for skiing and don't notice the wind noise, but I take the ones off the SE right away if I'm not using them again soon.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Remember, to make the SE with its heavy battery safer in roll-over accidents, MINI add reinforcing to the SE's A-pillars and door sills. So the SE is the least likely MINI to cave in if you get active in your rooftop tent. ;)

19. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

The dealer by me adds them to every car they order for inventory. The red one had them. The next one wont since my wife doesnt want the black line on the blue or gray roof, and she decided that we would use one of the other cars for long trips. For $250 i was going to spring for them. I get the car I want, she gets the color she wants. Win win. Plus, happy wife.....

kevin.t., Denise C and Rexsio like this.
  20. kevin.t.

kevin.t. New Member

Hey nice pic!! Quick question, is it a signature plus trim? I remember roof rail only available on signature plus or iconic, right?

21. kevin.t.

kevin.t. New Member

is the $250 option for roof rail only available on on signature plus or iconic trim?

22. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Things are changing all the time with parts shortages but I was able to order my signature with roof rails

23. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Roof rails almost like standard. Bc you can’t get them when car is order through a dealer they small and they fit very nice