Recommend EV Level 2 Charger for home (US)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Quorn, Feb 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Quorn

Quorn Member

any experience with
    LEFANEV 32A EV Charger Level 2 Station?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. sousvide

sousvide Member

Have not heard of LEFANEV EVS but I purchased a JuiceBox 40 from Costco. Figured if it craps out I have the Costco return policy to back me up and then I can just buy the ChargePoint Flex at that point.

Looks like LEFANEV only has a 12 month warranty, not standing behind their product is a red flag to me. Also doesn't look to be Safety Certified based on their website.

insightman likes this.
  4. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend selecting a UL, or whatever safety standard your country uses, listed EVSE.

EVSE's without those national standards may be fine, but it gives a bit more peace of mind in my opinion.

Texas22Step and Ketos like this.
  5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Clipper Creek AmazingE Fast would be my choice if I were to install one.

Chicago Ken likes this.
  6. Quorn

Quorn Member

Does Juice Box come with a 3 pin or 4 pin plug?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Some are not UL certified but are TUV certified. Think about that for a moment. The company paid to be certified under the European standard which may be stricter than the US standard, and where the volume of sales are, but because volume in the US doesn't warrant spending the money to be UL certified you wont buy it?

It is similar to comparing Halal to Kosher. What is the difference in the underlying product?
    https://flatscreensupport.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/which-is-better-a-tuv-or-a-ul-tested-product/

Make sure the cord is long enough.

AndysComputer likes this.
  9. Ketos

Ketos Member

I put in a hardwired 48Amp Wallbox Pulsar Plus. I went with hardwired because I saw reviews on the NEMA plugs online that recommended getting the $80 outlets verse the $10 one I bought because of potential fire risk. I don't know what the rate of failure is for NEMA outlets since they are all UL-listed, but I figure it's one less thing that can go wrong. After thinking it over, It was easier to DIY hardwired too. The Wallbox is a smart EVSE that comes with a very nice app. But the Mini app also has most of the functions for charging.

sholden and wessy like this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't believe there's any way to connect a 48-Amp EVSE using a plug--there aren't any 48-Amp sockets AFAIK.

11. Ketos

Ketos Member

Yeah. 48Amp must be hard wired. I was looking at the 40Amp Wallbox at first. Thank you for clarifying.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. sousvide

sousvide Member

14. Chicago Ken

Chicago Ken New Member

I agree. Clipper Creek has strong warranty too. I am really happy with part number HCS-40P, Plug-in 32A, Level 2 by Clipper Creek. You can buy direct from their site.

15. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I have had no problems whatsoever with my Grizzl-e. It’s simple, reliable, relatively inexpensive, and UL listed. Bonus it can be white or black to match your car’s roof. :D

moncureww and Rob Fitzgerald like this.
  16. The Grizzl-e level 2 EV chargers are made in Canada.
    MINI Canada has been supplying them as an incentive with the purchase of a MINI SE. I have been using it for Mike Wazowski since early November and it has been really problem free.

In addition to white and black as mentioned by Quiet Mini a camo model as well. They come with NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 input cables and can be adjusted for 16, 24, 32 or 40 amps. They also have Wi-Fi options.
    They are really solid with a water resistant cast aluminum enclosure and 24 foot long cables. The wall mounting bracket uses a simple security pin and there is an option for a locking pin. Available with a 3 year or 5 year warranty.

The US Store is at This Link units start from US$409
    The Canadian Store is at This Link units start from CAD$579

17. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

I had put in a 40 Wallbox and have been very happy with it. Price was $100 more than the grizzleE but I got a bit of a discount on the Wallbox from the installer so it was not that much more. No issues at all with.

18. wessy

wessy Active Member

I had an electrician add a 60-amp circuit to my box and had him install a new ChargePoint Flex EVSE, which is hard wired for 48 amps. Overkill for my SE, arguably, but this is only my first electric car and I wanted a solution that was nearly as future-proofed as I could get today in preparation for whatever my next EV will be, which I figure will likely be capable of charging at up to 50 amps.

I really like the ChargePoint Flex, especially its ergonomics. It’s just a pleasure to use.

AndysComputer and Ketos like this.
  19. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

forgot to mention it is hard wired. Wasn't what I was expecting but the company said it was better and more efficent with less heat built up on the plug.

20. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

My Grizzl-E has been working fine since I installed it outdoors last April. The charger is a easy plug in installation, if you have an outlet handy, but the WiFi that supports OCCP (Smart) is quirky and a PITA to set up. There has been more WiFi software issues with it than they expected. Solid hardware, however. There was a long thread here awhile ago that had several other options if I recall correctly.

wessy likes this.
  21. Texas22Step, sousvide and MichaelC like this.
  22. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Most of the offbrand EVSEs come from the same supplier in China. In this case your LEFANEV style 32A charger can be found on Alibaba at a volume discount of $140-219 per unit.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SAE-J1772-EV-plug-with-14_1600193192238.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.7ab6680buFATPo

Domenick likes this.
  23. sousvide

sousvide Member

Domenick likes this.