Quote will have more than $5k added due to inventory shortage.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by toomie, Dec 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. toomie

toomie Member

I asked for a quote of the Ioniq 5 Limited, my location is Bay Area.. Northern CA. Received a callback from the sales person, said they are adding over 5k to the final price due to inventory shortage.

I noped out of the rest of the call.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Inside EVs mobile app

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Good for you, I would have done the same.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it";)

mho likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

But don't you have to pay whatever the chicken wants to get the egg? (Chicken money is food, shelter, and security.) @toomie, how soon could your Northern CA dealer put you in the seat of an Ionic 5 if you showed up with the extra 5 grand?

5. toomie

toomie Member

Quote from San Leandro dealer said they were expecting car delivery by mid January.

Richmond dealer said by March

Sent from my SM-N986U using Inside EVs mobile app

insightman likes this.
  6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I may get an IONIQ 5 for the wife.. In case they mark the car above MSRP, I will pass..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Keith Kenworthy

Keith Kenworthy New Member

I called the Sacramento area dealers and they are asking $7500 - $10,000 over MSRP. I said no thanks but they say they are mostly sold out of the cars that should be arriving in January.

9. insightman

Now THAT's a market adjustment! I wonder if all the customers for those "sold out" cars paid that mark-up? The Canadians are laughing.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Hyundai... putting the chill on, this whole dealer mark up thing is discouraging :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  11. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

^What you all say^
    As a newbie to the EV sport, I have enjoyed absorbing and soaking info to increase my all things EV knowledge base that having been active participant or reviewer of many forums (ICE included) for past few years. I give much credit and respect here to Domenick, Kyle, Tom, Gary and all other crew contributors or partners and "brand" reviewers, forum Admins, Moderators, SME's, OP's and ~98% of the respondents. Most forums do give their best effort to regulate - either through base line rules or "soft" recommendations to throttle unfortunate troll traffic that at times impacts others on personal level that diminishes education or growth so hats off to you all.

Back on point it wasn't my intent to stray or steal the thread.. but idle time on my hands I actually learned basics and many mostly pros and cons of deciding to join the "FE" bandwagon. I find ironic that (through silence and/or non participation) for the most part how Hyundai/KIA has adapted to the "je ne sais quo" or even to heavy profit based trope or program in playing this market. Being an early participant in the process for me it still looks as though tax time 2022 will bring a small bonus when I reclaim (don't ask don't tell how many) my impulsive "pre-order" deposits have shelled out. I believe the prime beneficiaries for the growing culminating deposits were "board room" marketing execs.

Helping me to call my choices impulsive since for one it was mentioned maybe confirmed{?} on separate post that in Canada it is illegal for dealerships to charge above MSRP. Not my place to question why our US based dealers should enjoy the game it is what it is, but chalked up instead to supply and demand forecasts or additional studies in micro/macro economics. Next, I interpreted the latest Concierge email to me indicating we are now instead placed only on a first come first served basis irregardless of trim level pre ordered leaving us first choice of what is actually manufactured and shipped or order what you want eat what you get policy (at least in my state). Onwards, I found interesting the various mounting likes/dislikes, anomaly issues, range disparity, battery, software or maintenance comments from other FE "mostly European" owner communities leaving mostly crickets from the GMPs home country, or in other words not enough objective or true feedback IMHO from the Korean owner base or market, so again credit due to our "information sharing" forum practices. Of course entitled to opine, I could be wrong but I see potential on the horizon that glut will leave "stealer-ship" lots populated with dozens of unsold product. So as GWB and others have previously said "fool me once shame on me..." I forgot the rest of the coin, but the point applies at my age, I am not one of the fortunate BTC/฿ holders or deep pocketed players or crash-test display mannequins. I have purchased FE in the past, and the added $5-$10K of today's money to MSRP for inventory, chip, covid-19 or whatever reason this time around is good enough for me to sit it out on the side lines, watch and wait (even 2nd or 3rd year release) out our "late for lunch" legislative gifted leadership to **** or get off the pot to determine price caps, tax credits, incentives rebates or whatever BBB benefits until gasoline costs drive us all either into submission or to shell out top price points for luxury brands instead. At least this timing provides lagging Japanese and US based manufacturers to improve or perfect their own or alternative offerings. Much success and luck to all who patiently await and enjoy your pending purchases. Happy Holidays all!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. pucksave

pucksave Member

I agree--I had three Ionic 5 reservations but I grew tired of their approach and I refunded all.

14. ed5

ed5 New Member

I just visited a dealership and took a test spin. Wonderful car. The salesman said the Limited models will not be available for 4 to 7 months and because of the shortage there will be a 4k markup. Terrible.

15. I have a reservation in on the Ioniq 5. Looking forward to buying one. I will only purchase at MSRP or below. If I pay MSRP it will be a first and I've purchased 12 new vehicles. I don't mind buying out of state. The time will come when they have too many 2022s and the next model year is on the way. Competitors charging MSRP or below include Rivian, Tesla, Polestar, Audi, and VW. Between all of these, consumers have options and the demand will be met. Hyundai is a value proposition but that is lost with price gouging.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. This sort of predatory market pricing indicates a monopoly abusing the customer base. Considering the number of makers migrating to online ordering, this beggars the question "Why did us taxpayers support these bastards with PPP Loans?"

I'm hearing the same *market adjustment * justified on cars that have been on dealer lots for two years.

17. insightman

That time still hasn't come for the electric MINI Cooper SE that began production in late 2019. I ordered a 2020, but received a 2021 eight months after production began. However, the SE was never going to be a high-volume car. Dealers are selling used ones at nearly the original MSRP even though those cars don't qualify for the $7,500 tax credit.

I wonder what Hyundai's production goals are for the Ioniq 5? Parts shortages may prevent those goals from being achieved.

18. Dave Nissen

Dave Nissen New Member

Yes, there are a lot of complaints being made about dealer markups. And a common response is, be patient as eventually dealers will become reasonable & sell at msrp. However, any guesses on when that might be? I can be patient as I will not pay over MSRP. However, in my state, I need to have my purchase completed by 5/20/22 in order for me to save on ALL sales tax on this car. And, delivery could be later so long as I can demonstrate that my sales tax is due by 5/20. Does anyone think that msrp pricing from dealers will be available by this date? Thanks!

19. This new database showing Ionic5 mark ups throughout USA, I posted it in the general section as it applies to other manufactures as well...worth a look before shopping;)

toomie likes this.
  20. How much is the sales tax savings?

21. Dave Nissen

Dave Nissen New Member

In my case I now have a sales tax credit of $6,500 here in Missouri as a result of a $110K rv sale I made on 12,/20/21. In Missouri you are allowed to apply it towards another vehicle as long as the next vehicle is purchased within 6 months. Since the Hyundai Ioniq 5 will be far less, it means I pay zero sales tax if I purchase by 5/20/22.

22. .0425x55,000 = $2337.50
    I guess this gives you a $4000 "adjustment" cushion.

If they tack on less than $4k in spurious fees, you won't see that on your balance sheet.

Good onya.

23. I agree. With Tesla moving the bar higher and higher on how to build and sell cars it's time to start putting these dealers out of business. We need to talk with our state Congress critters to start getting the law repealed that protects these dealers from direct sales. We need their backroom service centers but the front of these businesses should be shut down.