Piano black pack question

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SpeedyRS, Dec 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

As I’ve mentioned in other posts, I ordered my SE with the chrome trim, then I changed my mind and tried to get the dealer to amend my order to include the piano black exterior trim over a month before production began, but they recommended not to do so in case I lost my slot. Unlikely I think, but I didn’t want to risk it.

Ahead of delivery I ordered and had the dealer fit the piano black light surrounds front and rear, the door handles and the grille surround. I’ve got the piano black Cooper SE side scuttles on order from a dealer in England as my own dealer’s parts dept told me they didn’t exist (?!), so next up is the trim on the boot; the Cooper S logo and possibly the Mini badge, though I might leave that. I’ve seen lots of places where I can order a piano black Cooper S badge, but only with the red S. I want to retain my yellow S. Can someone who has the piano black exterior from the factory tell me if the yellow S on the boot has a black border? In photos it sort of looks like the Cooper part of the badge is piano black, but the yellow S has a chrome surround. If that’s the case then I can just buy a Cooper S kit with the red S and not use it, or even a piano black Cooper logo leaving the yellow S in place.

Similarly, does the round yellow plug logo always come with a chrome surround, even on cars with piano black exterior trim?

9EC49943-0F1D-48BD-94AC-C7B5BA34A9B6.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

I have an ultra-black configuration from the factory. Here are my badges (after a drive in the rain).

Your "e" badge seems to be a totally different shape?

I don't see anything on my build sheet about black badges, other than "ZWB / Piano Black Waistline Trim".

IMG_1424 Large.jpeg IMG_1423 Large.jpeg IMG_1422 Large.jpeg IMG_1421 Large.jpeg IMG_1420 Large.jpeg

4. SpeedyRS

Thanks for those! Looks like all of the yellow S badges have a chrome outline. We didn’t have the option of the piano black waistline trim at all; just the badges, light surrounds, grille surrounds, handles and scuttles. Killallchrome sell the genuine waistline trim set for £320 so I may go for it at some point.

In the UK we have the trim level (1,2 or 3) on a badge right next to the E plug logo, but it is a separate badge. The E badge is the same as the one on your car. I got a photo from the internet of the UK arrangement. I’d take a photo of mine but it’s dark and raining…for a change! D1F13334-EB54-4C88-AB6A-6B681DF52C8D.jpeg

endquote likes this.
  5. You can order the MINI waistline finisher piano black part # 51135A0B944. I ordered mine here in NZ.

6. Here in NZ, we get the MINI Yours trim which is the same as the UK L3 trim and the US Iconic trim and we get this badge IMG_4199.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SpeedyRS likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SpeedyRS

Thanks for the part number. Killallchrome seem to do the genuine Mini part (same number) for around £100 less than Mini so if I do it I’ll probably get it from those guys.

I wondered which regions got that MiniYours badge as I saw it on a few YouTube videos showing the Cooper SE.

9. MINI Australia has it too. UK has the Shadow Edition which is also pretty cool, I would love that. Belgium created their numbered limited edition of the Mosaert which is also cool, they have their own wheel caps -> https://www.mini.be/fr_BE/home/range/mini-electric-mosaert.html?fbclid=IwAR3P3XRlc4IzYAurx2e6Slg9-Z68prcspw06pjWDTZCCiGUm0G0JUH-KMf4

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for the link to the limited run of 400 Mosaert SEs. Interesting that in general, customers cannot order the Energetic Yellow mirror caps with a British Racing Green SE, but the tartan pattern for the Mosaert SE: "This tartan pattern comes in a classic color palette: British Racing Green and Energetic Yellow from the MINI electric logo."