OEM replacement insurance worth it?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by yeah723, May 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

Hello all,

I just bought a new Clarity and got the 7 years extended warranty from Honda as well. I am located in Canada, Vancouver, where insurance is mostly with ICBC (gov.) I have the option to buy replacement insurance with optional coverage of OEM replacement parts from a third party. ICBC will use the cheapest available components to repair if aftermarket stuff are available.

Since Clarity is such a low volume car, I am not sure if there are any aftermarket parts available so it would force ICBC to fork out money for OEM parts. If there is no aftermarket parts for Clarity anyways, then OEM replacement insurance is just a waste of money. Anyone has any experience in regards to accidents and if aftermarket parts were used?

Thank you

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Interestingly the answer to your question just appeared in the thread about the Clarity's fragile, leak-prone A/C condenser. In this post, the first Clarity aftermarket replacement part known to this forum, a non-OEM A/C condenser, was revealed. So it's unlikely that any warranty repair other than the A/C condenser would involve a non-OEM replacement part. The very existence of this aftermarket part suggests that the number of failed Clarity A/C condensers is great and that many wait to fail until after the warranty expires.

yeah723 likes this.
  4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'd tend to think it is a waste of money for OEM replacement insurance. Not many OEM parts available from what I have seen and any accident of significance requiring many replacement parts will total the car from what I have seen so far. Here in the US, insurance companies will often use junkyard parts instead of new parts to repair a car. That might be more of a risk than having to worry about non-OEM. I had a BMW repaired that was hit by a person running a stop sign. Their insurance covered the repair, but the shop had to refuse both a fender and door that they wanted to use from a wrecked car before the repair was finished. The shop first outright refused the fender provided since it was damaged. The shop did install the door and repainted it, but it would never seal correctly (air leak), so they ended up having to discard it and purchase a new door to get the air noise stopped.

yeah723 and insightman like this.
  5. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

Thank you for the quick replies, anyone want to share some experience with repairs of a clarity due to accidents?