NEMA 14-50 Flexible Charger Adapter Cable (long)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MRYFLYGUY, Jul 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That's the British version, I believe. 11 kW is mentioned, which is definitely not North America. I'm not very familiar with the British power outlet, but that's not a NEMA plug and the end that goes into the SE is not a J1772.

4. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

This is the Nema 15-30 adapter cable that connects the 15-30 outlet to the flexible charger, not the cable that connects to the car.

5. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

...and note the car is left hand drive.

6. inferno10

inferno10 Member

European cars are left-hand drive, so I suspect the plug shown in the video is the european Schuko type. Here’s a photo from an ebay auction of the european version of the Flex charger.
    8F1B36F3-9E92-4B72-80C4-13D13B1906EB.jpeg

Puppethead likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Where are you guys getting this information from? The cable shown is on the Canadian MINI website and clearly shows 14-50. I suspect that it is the same as the original cable supplied with the charger and not an extension, but I’m only guessing.

9. inferno10

inferno10 Member

Sorry, I was just trying to clarify the plug type that was shown in the video linked in the original post. The OP thought that the cable in the video had a NEMA 14-50 plug, but they were definitely european-style plugs. It’s a little hard to read, but the text on the label attached to the plug in the video showed it’s a CEE 7/7 plug.
    Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.08.19 PM.png

Attached Files:

Puppethead and Rogwp like this.
  10. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

Yes, it's a NEMA 14-50 adapter cable (14-50 wall plug => charger, not the charger => car cable). I was able to locate a a couple sources with the cable on order but currently out of stock. $140 - $150 US!

11. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

I'd love to get the wall mount kit for the Flexible Charger but it just won't work with the 14-50 adapter cable provided. This is clearly an assembly issue, the adapter cable end that plugs in the charger only fits one way and needs to be rotated 180 degrees in order to mount. This is why I'm searching for that longer ROW cable.

download.jpg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Keep us posted if you find anything out there!

14. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

I am trying to get BMW to own this problem. We'll see.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly happy with my Primecom, with a 30ft cable. It allows me to back into my driveway, and still recharge the car.

16. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Poor design - I hope you make progress, and that they fix it down the line.

17. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Turn the outlet 180 degrees?

18. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

That will only make the situation upside down! It's the adapter cable that connects to the charger that's built wrong, not the NEMA plug.

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Commencing to hold my breath.
    upload_2022-7-21_0-57-49.png

20. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Sounds like this is normal. I asked about whether it’s okay to twist the cable a while ago & most said it was. AB210BCB-D583-4CF0-9759-6796DCB3F9CB.jpeg

Hatch likes this.
  21. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

I got a call back from MINI ana although several others have reported this, they have no plans to change anything because the charger is 100% functional. So, don't plan on using the BMW Wall Mount kit with the US shorty Nema 14-50 adapter cable!

Brewer Fan likes this.
  22. nuwde

nuwde New Member

I just took delivery of my 2023 SE and it comes with a Level 2 charger. This is the charger my dealer gave me:

https://info.evsolutions.com/turbocord

Max output is 16amp and uses a nema 6-20. It's clearly a very old design and I deduce it was provided by BMW for their i3s. I'm curious, is this the official charger that comes with the 2023 or did my dealer swap mine out for an older one?

23. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    I just took mine out to look at it. I want to use it to test it out at some point. It's crazy! I wouldn't worry about twisting it to mount it though.
    That's not going to hurt it.

SameGuy likes this.