Light inside the charge port?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by kicksology, Jan 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. [NOTE: I could have sworn that I saw a discussion on this topic on this forum, but I searched using a few related terms and nothing came up. Still, my apologies if a thread on this topic does already exist.]

Has anyone had any luck adding a light inside their SE's charge port enclosure to illuminate the port in low-light conditions? I've seen some solutions specific to the Chevy Bolt, such as the Charger Light, but I'm not sure if it would work with the SE.

For what it's worth, here's what I'd love to find in a charge port lighting solution...
    • First, it has to fit within the SE's charge port enclosure.
    • I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it has to be water resistant.
    • It must include a rechargeable battery, as I can't stand the idea of using throw-away batteries for a convenience feature.
    • Finally, this isn't a requirement, but it would be ideal if it actuated via a light or motion sensor such that it would turn on automatically when you open the charge port door.
    On other forums, I've seen people suggest adding a light to the end of the EVSE charger cable. That would be a solution for my home EVSE, but wouldn't help when charging away from home. Also, carrying a keychain flashlight isn't a workable solution in my case.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

On this forum I discussed the button LED I bought to illuminate the charging port, but I stuck mine on the charging handle of my EVSE. As small as they are, I never tried to stick one of them onto the charge-port door. Even if it fit, I have no idea how long the battery will last and didn't want the hassle of trying to remove the button LED from the door. That said, I've been using one for more than a year and because it's turned on for only a few seconds each time I use it, the battery is still going strong.

4. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

[QUOTE="kicksology, post: 156641, member: 33397"
    • First, it has to fit within the SE's charge port enclosure.
    • I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it has to be water resistant.
    • It must include a rechargeable battery, as I can't stand the idea of using throw-away batteries for a convenience feature.
    • Finally, this isn't a requirement, but it would be ideal if it actuated via a light or motion sensor such that it would turn on automatically when you open the charge port door.
    /QUOTE]

Doesn't meet all your requirements but works:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721NYMJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MichaelC likes this.
  5. Hey @insightman and @TripleD thanks so much for this suggestion! It delivers nearly everything I'm looking for except for the rechargeable battery, but over a year of use per battery is much better than I anticipated.

Also, @insightman to your point about not wanting to stick anything inside of the charge port door, I'm thinking that I'd use a set of 3M Command Velcro picture hanging strips for the attachment (the kind that release clean-ly when you pull them parallel to the surface they're adhered to). That would add a bit of height, but it would address the concern I also have about being able to easily remove the light to recharge it or replace the battery.

If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, please keep them coming! One interesting idea I came across on a Bolt forum is to use an LED dog collar, but I don't think it would fit inside of the SE's charge port enclosure.

wessy likes this.
  6. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

Based on this forum, I also got a pack of those little lights and stuck one inside my charge door. I forget it is there because my driveway is pretty well lit, so I haven't needed it. But it has remained stuck there for 2 months now.

Rob

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I also have one of those LED button lamps @insightman and @TripleD linked to. It's been on the inside of my SE's charge flap for over a year now and, as mentioned, is only on for seconds at a time so I'm not worried about battery longevity. One of the best mods I've made!

kicksology likes this.
  9. insightman

I've knocked my button LED off the charging handle a couple of times, so now I would guess the adhesive won't be too difficult to defeat when years from now you need to switch to a new button on the charge door.

F14Scott and MichaelC like this.
  10. @Akanaten That's a really interesting setup! Is that the same button LED referenced by Insightman above? If not, would you mind sharing a link to it?

Also, what is the function of the tube encircling the charge port enclosure? Is it reflective? Speaking of which, have you found the strips of reflective tape on the charge port covers to be helpful for low-light visibility? That seems like a really good idea as I image the tape strips would amplify the light from the button lamp, but I'd love to hear how effective that's been for you in real world use.

Thanks for sharing!

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. The tube surrounding the enclosure is some adhesive weather strip. I have done the same for Mike Wazowski because water and snow does seem to get past the door. The weatherstrip helps to seal out dirt as well. Given the voltages that may be present, I would certainly like to keep things dry in there.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

NewGreen likes this.
  13. I was sick of mine filling with water, or just damp, so I used some small round adhesive seal and also put a small self adhesive battery operated light in too (press on/press off). The cover is firmer to shut, but I've never had a drop of water or damp in. (See photo)
    I made a plastic cover from a sealable plastic bag and stuck some magnetic tape inside. I placed it inside the bag along one edge, sealed the bag, and just pop it over the flap/opening if its raining. The plastic bag stops any damage to the paintwork. Just wipe it afterwards and should be ok.
    The reflective pieces are good at picking up any light available to a more or lesser degree depending on street lamps, so it just gives a bit more ease of use.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  14. This is from AliExpress, China. There were some on eBay, but they also came from China. So as long as you don’t mind the wait! upload_2022-1-7_22-10-35.gif Cheap and cheerful.
    Can be a bit fussy, but I found they do the job if the cover isn't on too tight. (even work with no cover on too, and the weather strip keeps it dry.

[​IMG]

1.25US $ 44% OFF|1pc Car Led Touch sensor Light One button Portable Self adhesive Outdoor Home Car Night Light Mini Small Portable Night Lamp #4|LED Night Lights| - AliExpress
    Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com
    [​IMG] www.aliexpress.com

Here’s one for tape if you need it. Amazon.

[​IMG]

EEEKit Doors Windows Draught Excluder Tape, Self-Adhesive Weather Strip Foam Tape, Type D Rubber Door Seal Strip, Draft Excluder for Windows, Window Seal, Window Insulation (Total 5M, White) : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    EEEKit Doors Windows Draught Excluder Tape, Self-Adhesive Weather Strip Foam Tape, Type D Rubber Door Seal Strip, Draft Excluder for Windows, Window Seal, Window Insulation (Total 5M, White) : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    www.amazon.co.uk

It comes as a twin, but it splits real easy and then just cut the length you need. Hope this helps

wessy and insightman like this.
  15. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

I’ve done this on my SE too and it’s brilliant for stopping water ingress into the charging port. I wasn’t concerned about water finding it’s way into the ports themselves as the covers will stop that, I was just fed up seeing water collecting in there. I went with black sealing strips rather than white to blend in a little more and coated it with silicone lubricant to prevent it freezing the charge port door shut if it gets wet and then freezes. Slightly harder to open and close the door but the photo below was taken after heavy rain.
    8D54BD0C-3773-477F-8616-297FCE4E30F8.jpeg

16. Must admit, black looks better as you say. Its such a simple idea, especially with the gap around the cover, you would have thought Mini could have implemented it? More cost cutting I guess, same as no light? Fingers crossed for the new modelsI’ve been using a thin smear of petroleum jelly on my seal, but just ordered some proper rubber care called Gummi pflege Stift. Saw it on a video on the forum so thought I’d give it a go. Probably similar to what your using?

NewGreen and SpeedyRS like this.
  17. SpeedyRS

I think it must have been your post on Mini F56 forum that I used as a basis for mine as the photo looks the same so thanks for the tip! I use WD40’s silicone lubricant on the seal. You can put the straw of the can inside the seal and give it a squirt and then I applied it with a micro fibre cloth to the exterior of the seal. Works well so far.

Urbanengineer and Akanaten like this.
  18. David Kerman

David Kerman New Member

This is such a great mod that you and Akanaten implemented. I live in the northeast and just had an issue where water did end up in the charging port and froze despite the caps being on and the door shut. I didn't realize until I went to charge the car and the cable wouldn't connect because ice had built up at the back of the socket. Great ideas to try and prevent that from happening in the future!

19. Just upgraded the light to a re-chargeable one. So much more reliable now.
    upload_2022-2-5_20-3-51.jpeg

wessy, Urbanengineer and MichaelC like this.
  20. insightman

How is the rechargeable one more reliable? I've left my tiny non-replaceable battery LED on overnight a few times in the past year and it's still going strong.

21. The battery one was so intermittent, I got so sick of fiddling with it. Thats the main reason I changed it. With this re-chargeable one, its brighter, and more sensitive, so you only need a slight touch, and has worked every time. I’ve been using it everytime I charge the car (daylight too) for nearly 2 months, and its still on the first charge. Considering you only need it on for less than a minute, if that, its gonna last months. Its easy to re-charge as the cover clips off.
    upload_2022-2-5_23-23-8.jpeg

wessy, SpeedyRS and insightman like this.
  22. SpeedyRS

That looks good. Where did you buy it?