Lack of Rear Window Wiper

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by ScubaSteve, Jun 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

I really hesitated to purchase the Ioniq 5 knowing it had no rear wiper. Honestly, it's far less of a problem than I thought it would be. I use the side-mirrors when the rear window is a mess. Not an issue. Although, I definitely would prefer a rear wiper (like my Kona EV had) but am curious to know what current owners feel about the lack of wiper. Hyundai dropped the ball on this one. Any thoughts?

Mike Bearsails likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. They can put a wiper on the economy cars but not a $60k+ car, gotta luv the bean counters. Ya I think they dropped the ball on this.

If it becomes an issue I'm looking into a Gentex rear view mirror display, they have a shark fin mounted camera that I would mount on the spoiler. Won't be cheap or even inexpensive but it would solve the issue and I think it would look great.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hyundai just skipped a price category. The more expensive Ioniq 5 N is getting a rear wiper.

EVatLast and electriceddy like this.
  5. Joe Ventre

Joe Ventre New Member

I find the affect of no wiper varies a lot based on the type and direction of the rain. There are times when it has no affect on visibility and others where the rear view mirror is useless. A hard, misty rain seems to be the worst. If range was a reason to not have the wiper why not have a digital rear view display with the camera built into the spoiler at the top of the window. Even the Bolt EUV I test drove had that, you could switch between live view and camera view. Yes, Hyundai dropped the ball on this.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

ScubaSteve likes this.
  6. insightman

I'd love to read a transcript of the meeting leading up to where somebody who counts said, "If we're going to charge $63K for the Ioniq 5 N, I think it should get the wiper." How hard did the "we don't need no stinking wiper!" contingent argue in favor if it's original decision? Of course, the bean counter in the room had the final say.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Geezer

Geezer New Member

If I remember correctly, the I-5's in Norway can use the back-up camera while going forward. This would go a long way toward helping if it was available here in the states.

9. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Yes, that's correct but that camera also gets covered in rain, snow, slush, road back wash and needs to be cleaned as much as the back window does. There are ways to minimize a camera from being covered up using positioning or a little spray jet. I don't know why the North American Ioniq 5s don't have this capability. It seems the lack of rear wiper is still a concern but I use a viable work around. As for the Ioniq 5 N, having a rear wiper on a prototype can be excluded during a production run.

10. My Solterra has a digital rear view mirror camera and a washer back there to clean it. Works great. As it is the design of the rear window is such that it rarely is hard to see through anyway. From what I understand a rear wiper causes drag which is why it probably was omitted in the I5.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  11. Mike Boston

Mike Boston New Member

The lack of a rear wiper hasn't been a problem, although it does seem strange. I sprayed Rain-X on the rear window and it stays mostly clear, and then clean it when it gets dirty enough. Most of the grit accumulates along the top of the window, so it doesn't need to be cleaned often, at least when driving on paved roads.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

I wonder why the Ioniq 5 N gets a wiper? I'd expect that N drivers would always be going so fast that the aerodynamic rear-window cleaning promise would always be kept.

14. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I bet that the designers heard loud and clear that the customers want a wiper and while designing the N they incorporated the wiper. You will probably see a wiper the the non-N in the mid cycle refresh.

insightman likes this.
  15. We have only had our Ioniq5 for a few weeks and 3300+ km and yes the rear window gets dirty quickly...although a wiper would have been awesome I do not find it a big deal. Spent many years driving service vans and trucks with no rear window so as lomg as I have mirrors with fish eyes I am good.
    But I do agree it seems silly not to have a rear wiper on an otherwise incredible car!

ScubaSteve and electriceddy like this.
  16. Jennifer Terry

Jennifer Terry New Member

On a grey, rainy day the lack of rear wiper plus the tinted rear window make visibility VERY poor, imo. The tinting makes it difficult to see after dark, as well. I'm not sure of the point of that...

electriceddy likes this.
  17. It's just the amount of dirt that flies up the rear end really one has to wonder why they didn't include one from the beginning. It is not hard to tell you are approaching an I5 from behind even from a distance, I do agree it is a minor issue considering the I5's more positive attributes.
    A rear facing camera mounted high might be a good substitute if design (or drag) is the priority.

18. Interesting how this is not an issue on my Solterra which also does not have a rear wiper. The design is such that it sweeps the window clean just like a sedan. Also, I do have a toggle on my rear view mirror which switches on the digital camera (separate from the back up camera) if necessary. It even has a washer. Had to use it a couple times during ski season when the rear window was covered with frozen snow. Instead of scraping, just turned on the digital mirror and let the rear window defrost clear it. Worked great.

19. That is interesting, great to hear the Soltera is working out well, but, I really love my Ioniq5 and coming from a Kona EV (which we really loved as well) we appreciate the Ioniq5 even more - despite the lack of a wiper.
    Every morning I just give the rear window a clean...no biggie I am retired anyway!

20. We had I5 pre-order deposits in at 3 diff dealers in the lower mainland from back in Feb/22 for the Ultimate. However, as we all know those were very slow to come. So when the I6 was announced I asked them to change it to that model. One of them put me near the top of their list, and I picked it up just a couple weeks ago. Still lots to learn, but love it so far. Great complement to the Solterra, which is our off-road car for going to the cabin.

Also had a 2019 Kona, and drove it for 3 years, great first BEV for us. Now we have two and no ICE car.

21. We came from a Kona as well, we bought our 2023 Kona last August, we put 48000 KM on it in 10 months. We ordered an EV6 last December and where waiting for it. I took our Kona in 3 weeks ago for its 48000 KM service and our local dealer had their demo Inoiq5 available. We made the deal on the spot. 2022 AWD Ultimate in Cyber Grey.
    We have put 3200km on it in 3 weeks...absolutely love the car. The DCFC speed is amazing. Roominess is incredible and much appreciated after having the Kona.
    The Kona was a fantastic car and we did several 4500 KM trips in it and it performed flawlessly.
    Aside from the lack of a rear wiper, which is really a design flaw by Hyundai, the I5 is one of the nicest cars we have ever owned!
    Cheers
    Mike

ScubaSteve, electriceddy and R P like this.
  22. insightman

With the rear wiper showing up on the Ioniq 5 N, Hyundai appears to be admitting their mistake. However, rather than a design flaw, the lack of a rear wiper could simply have been a decision by Hyundai's bean-counters.

Mike Bearsails likes this.
  23. Yes that is a very real possibility. The window does dirty...so I now carry a spray bottle of glass cleaner and a supply of rags and just clean it when I stop to charge, or when we get to our destination...a bit of a pain. But I love the car and really do not care about the window issue! :)

insightman likes this.