Interesting Quote

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by revorg, Aug 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

"(Automakers keep adding battery capacity in response to “range anxiety,” but such concerns are overblown. As a New York Times op-ed recently asked, “You want an electric car with a 300-mile range? When is the last time you drove 300 miles?”)" Slate.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If small batteries could charge as quickly as big batteries, the argument for big batteries would be much less persuasive. The Hummer EV SUT is capable of regaining nearly 100 miles of range in 10 minutes. Imagine if your MINI Cooper SE could do that!

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

AndysComputer likes this.
  5. insightman

With current battery technology, gaining 100 miles of range quickly requires high-voltage DCFC charging a large, mostly discharged battery--that's why I chose the Hummer, but GM hasn't published a charging curve for the Hummer AFAIK.

But forget the big-battery/800-V charging Hummer--the point I was trying to make was that if the SE could gain 100 miles of range in 10 minutes, its small battery would not be considered such a big problem.

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

A solid 1.546 mi/kWh (212.7kWh usable for 329 miles) for Edition 1 Models per EPA filings (not available anymore).

Without factoring in charging efficiency losses, that would be 29.54 hours at 7.2kW and 147.7 hours at 1.44kW from 0-100% SoC.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Quorn

Quorn Member

Does anyone have gas tank anxiety? The efficiency (miles per KWH) and charging frequency are more interesting.

9. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Sadly this video is rather poorly done but it seems it took 13 minutes to add 100 rated miles when starting from around 50%.
    obviously it would be faster that lower states of charge but here was maxing out at 180kW and dropped down to about 170 by the time it was at 65%. Obviously that’s still excellent at that percentage of charge but I am more interested in knowing how long it takes to go from 10% to 80%. Bearing in mind that rated range wise it’s not much better than a model Y despite having 3 times the battery.
    Given my Model Y takes 30 minutes to go from 10% to 80% this means the shimmer will need to add actual miles at the same rate (so 3 times the charging speed) just to keep up.
    My concern with the Hummer is the unsuitability of this type of vehicle for EV use. It’s like American cars whose engines are 3 times the size of a European one to get the same horse power output. To get a modern 300+ mile range they fit triple size batteries.
    That’s all fun until you realize it won’t charge much at home overnight so one of the big benefits if EV ownership is affected. And it better precondition and hit a good 800v fast charger on your road trip or your restroom breaks are going to be very long…
    Efficiency matters.

https://insideevs.com/news/578181/gmc-hummer-ev-350kw-charging-test/

10. I would agree with this, but it would also require ubiquitous charging stations. Sadly, America in particular just isn't there yet.

MichaelC, insightman and carrrl like this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I completely agree, but I find even at 50 kW charge rate the SE charges sufficiently quickly, particularly when compared to other EVs. Because the SE has a rather good charge curve you can go from 10% to 80% SoC in about 20 minutes with DCFC. Since the SE has a smaller battery the slower charge rate isn't as much of an issue. Of course we all would like faster, but the technology and infrastructure aren't there yet.

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

No one includes the total environmental footprint of manufacturing the Hummer. I put the Hummer electric in the same category as the ICE Hummer: environmentally undesirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Jim In Tucson

An 800 volt SE sounds appealing, but the additional costs involved may not.

15. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Too many people want BIG toys, and too many people want to hurry and get to the next place. We need to change the paradigm, or we won't be here long. Fortunately, vehicles like the SE are on the path to the changes. A small first step, but on the path.

Cheap Sunglasses and wessy like this.
  16. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Range anxiety - Is that like the cold winter night when I was 20, had two $1 bills in my pocket, no credit cards, no cell phone, not even a dime to call if needed, and the gas gage in my Firebird that got 10 MPG was showing empty 25 miles from home?

wessy, insightman and revorg like this.
  17. Jim In Tucson

This.

Everyone here wants a large SUV even if they have a small family and don’t haul a lot of stuff. The EU and UK are way ahead of us on the value of small electric city cars. I think I counted 8 available there the last I checked. USA only 1.

18. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The Golf and its variants and MQB Evo/A1 compact brethren sell well here; I don’t get what sales the ID.3 might cannibalize. Seems to me the appetite for BEVs is sufficiently whetted in North America.

carrrl likes this.
  19. insightman

This Autoblog article from last week echoes the NYT article, but with a really nice pair of photos. Sadly, despite the perfect section-head set-up, the photos aren't referenced in the section.

How much electric car range do you really need?

upload_2022-8-31_19-58-2.png

Later in this article there is link to a 2020 Autoblog article about the MINI Cooper SE's better-than-advertised range. Spoiler: the author drives 105.7 miles and the GOM tells him he has 32 miles of range remaining:
    The electric Mini SE crushes its EPA range estimate in our real-world test

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  20. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I was really hoping we would see the back of pickup trucks and other large SUVs due to the switch to EVs requiring taking efficiency seriously and the cost of large batteries would make any vehicle that did not unviable for most people.
    It’s not that I’m against pickups for people who genuinely actually need them, but I’m pretty sure you could take 50% of them off the road here in Texas as I see a single person in them driving to the office, a clean unmarked bed and a scuff free trailer receiver which tells me they never use the vehicle for the things they claim.
    But the F150 Lightning is a really good deal and the only people who probably should not switch to an EV truck at this time are ironically the ones who need to tow etc as the range is halved and the charging takes too long when combined with those frequent stops… sigh…

Larrygk and revorg like this.
  21. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Other than manually fixing your double length URL, Mr. Edmunds noted that it was 23.2kWh (at the EVSE) for 105.7 miles for 4.56mi/kWh (at charger).

If you calculated the 68% (32% SoC left) it would be 19.652kWh of usable battery so 5.379mi/kWh with Power spoke wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1 summer tires.

insightman likes this.
  22. insightman

Thanks for the heads-up on the URL. I accidently added the URL to the one that came with the cut-and-paste. Fixed.

teslarati97 likes this.
  23. Larrygk

Larrygk New Member

Couldn't agree more about your first 2 paragraphs. It's almost comical.

AndysComputer likes this.