How to reset your GOM (secret menu!)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by wessy, Feb 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. wessy

wessy Active Member

I’ve watched soooooo many YouTube videos about the SE since I first started thinking about buying one last summer — especially while I was literally waiting for my ship to come in after ordering mine! — that the YouTube algorithm continues to let me know of SE videos I haven’t seen yet, even incredibly obscure, rarely viewed ones, like the one I’m about to tell you about.

Here it is in all its crying-out-for-a-remake-with-higher-production-values* glory. (*Paging @GvilleGuy! :D)

It’s really the description of the video (see photo below), more than the video itself, that’s revelatory; from it, you’ll learn that pressing and holding the trip odometer reset button on the upper left corner of your instrument cluster activates a “secret menu” that lets you (among other things, none of which I investigated) reset the range on your GOM:

EDDD5D33-F3A3-4AC7-AD4D-21081FF87485.png

Anyway, I tried it, and it’s a bit cumbersome, but it works; after resetting, my predicted range at 100% SoC increased from 90 to 116 miles. Which might make the GOM at least somewhat more useful than it typically is — so I figured y’all might want to know.

(Probably too much to hope for, but how cool would it be if you could use Bimmercode to program the range to automatically reset to this ostensibly more accurate figure every time you charged to 100%, and/or let you reset the range estimation in some much quicker, easier way than messing around with this “secret menu” every time, regardless of your SoC — like, maybe using one of the six programmable memory buttons on the center screen? :cool:)

If folks think this info might be of adequate interest to fellow owners, would someone with better videomaking skills than me please consider making a new version of this video for the SE community, perhaps actually showing the button being pressed and held for 10+ seconds to demonstrate how to click through and select the different levels of the menu — along with some accompanying narration explaining what you’re doing, of course, the absence of which is what I find most lacking about the existing video — to present this info in a more readily understandable form?

And big thanks for discovering this “secret menu” to YouTuber “tsrr,” to whom I mean no disrespect in my pleas for a new, improved version of their video efforts! :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yes I believe that's the same way you access BMW hidden menus when technicians forget to reset the next service mileage.

4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Interesting! Have not seen that option before.

5. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Interesting find! So if you do this while it's warmer out, will it be off in the colder months with little to no safety margin?

6. teslarati97

Personally I wouldn't rely on the Guess-o-Meter. You should know certain checkpoints on your main routes (i.e. 10% can take you home w/ mid mode) and easy to reach charging stations (Level 2 or DC Fast Charge) if you have to detour. It becomes trivial with Level 2 home charging and starting your day at 100% SoC.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

From what I've read I totally agree. It's more of a have it closer to an number actual kind of thing...

9. teslarati97

That's true. Would be useful to clear out the winter inefficiencies. I remember on my ICE car it would be 26 MPG and then in the arctic winter it would be in the 10 MPG range!

10. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

If you set the reset to each drive (in the trip computer menu), is it the same as doing this? We’ll try this when we get home.

Is this the top button on the cluster or the button on the left turn stalk?

11. GvilleGuy

The top left button on the instrument cluster. I have not tried it yet.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Urbanengineer

Greenville Guy was taking too long, so I made a quick short video of the process this morning before the gym when I had a few minutes.

14. Chicago Ken

Chicago Ken New Member

Very good tip. Never knew that button existed. It is on backside/ top/ left. Boosted me to 147 miles green plus.

Cindy B, wessy and Urbanengineer like this.
  15. GvilleGuy

Thanks! I wasn’t planning to do a video for this. I’m glad you did.

wessy, Urbanengineer and CoachCookie like this.
  16. wessy

wessy Active Member

Thank you for creating a new video of this, @Urbanengineer! I think fellow SE owners will really benefit because it’s so much clearer than the original — simple and straight to the point. Well done! :D

Miguel A Dessavre likes this.
  17. Urbanengineer

That’s a US GoM record afaik!

Cindy B and wessy like this.
  18. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong (rhetorical instruction). When you reset the trip mileage, it records only the miles since you reset. Doesn't it make sense that if you reset the GOM, it records only the performance since you reset. If you don't reset, you see the performance for the good weather and the bad weather, the hypermiling AND the drive-it-like-you-stole-it. It's like keeping track of your gas mileage. You don't reset, and you get the gas mileage from day one. You reset, and you get the mileage for the current trip only. Right?

(I was scrupulous about keeping gas mileage. Even with highs for long highway trips and lows for in-town snows, I was getting 32+ for my last ICE S. It appears that, due to a string of frigid single-digit temps, my current mileage has dropped from 4.7 m/kw to 3.9.)

19. Not me

Not me Member

Attached Files:

wessy and Urbanengineer like this.
  20. teslarati97

Personally, at about -32F it goes down to the 2.5 mi/kWh range or lower.

21. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this video. I’d tried it before but stopped pressing when the service reset icon appeared, so it never worked. I did it today while charging and it showed 145 miles on the GOM in mid mode. I won’t see that in reality but it’s always interesting to see how many miles I actually get.

73F51B4A-BCA4-420D-8457-EB0822770B30.jpeg

22. wessy

wessy Active Member

I don’t know. Maybe?

I’d like that to be the case, but when I reset my GOM at a 100% SoC, my estimated range went from a paltry 90 miles to a still pathetic 116 miles. (In a garage that was probably around 45 degrees F, too, so not crazy cold.)

Miguel A Dessavre likes this.
  23. wessy

wessy Active Member

Cindy B likes this.