How many side flashers?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CoachCookie, Feb 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Trying to get a few things sorted and ordered before my SE arrives. Not new to modding cars, forums, etc, but man it seems hard to find straight forward info on MINIs...So a few questions regarding side flashers:

- Are the markers in the fenders flashers, or just reflectors? (Edit: I may have now found they are lights that come on with the headlights?)
    - If the fender markers are indeed flashers (or just light some with headlights), are they LED or standard bulb?
    - Do the side scuttle badges flash as a side marker too?
    - If the side badges are a flasher too, are they LED?

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The ones in the fenders are running lights, the side scuttles are the flashers and should be LED’s.

4. CoachCookie

Appreciate you confirming. I was looking at getting the smoked fender lights, and just got myself into a spiral thinking they were flashers too. Even if those aren't LED I'll be replacing them with smoked led versions...

5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

insightman likes this.
  6. CoachCookie

Good to know, seems like a lot of little things changed for the '22 facelift. Appreciate the heads up on that.

I do believe the scuttles changed as well if I'm not mistaken.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Yes - my comment could be interpreted that the scuttles did not change. I was just saying I was talking about the side markers. Poor writing!

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The scuttle design changed, but the way they attach to the car is the same isn't it? I've thought of putting 2022 scuttles on my 2021 SE.

10. CoachCookie

Fair enough, just being thorough on my part. Appreciate you confirming yet again!

From how they look it does look like they share the same mounting and could be interchanged, but someone else who knows more than me should confirm.

11. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

I believe the side scuttle mounting is the same. This video shows someone swapping to them on his F56 ICE Mini. Looks like he had aftermarket scuttles on but the car originally had the incandescent bulb type indicators in the original scuttles.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CoachCookie

Nice find. And also confirms the 2022 are in fact LED!

Now the question becomes if the faceplates do actually swap. If I see correctly the SE has chrome trim above the light (may be black on Iconic trim). Would love to swap that for black but keep the yellow S of course, so if I had to buy the standard red S version and swap the plates that could work great

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There's a Dynamic LED Scuttle Indicators thread on this forum. I was disappointed when it revealed my old 2021 had incandescent scuttles. Furthermore, one post describes how Bimmercode reprogramming is required to convince the controller that a low-current LED replacement shouldn't be interpreted as a burned-out incandescent bulb.

15. I might be wrong, but I think the faceplates can be swap. I think @SpeedyRS was looking at this . Here in NZ, we don’t have the Iconic trim, but our MINI Yours trim I think is comparable to your Iconic trim, and the S on my MINI Yours trim has chrome trim. I converted my waistline trim to black, so the only remaining chrome are the S on the front and the rear and on the side scuttles and the plug badge on the rear.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  16. SpeedyRS

I ordered my L3 with chrome trim as that was standard and I thought it would look better than black with the enigmatic black colour, but as I saw more photos and videos of enigmatic black Minis while waiting, I changed my mind. The dealer offered to fit black trim FOC when it arrived rather than amending my order so that there was no chance of losing my place in line. They hadn’t included the scuttles in the cost and when I found out, I wasn’t going to bother with the scuttles, but when I saw the car the chrome trim on the scuttles immediately drew my eye, and looked wrong, so I knew they had to change. I took one off and looked at it but couldn’t find a way of removing the chrome strip. As you can see in the photo below of the back of my original chrome ones, there are no obvious clips on the chrome section. There were some very breakable looking clips lower down on the back of the scuttle but I didn’t want to destroy it by forcing something.
    Because of that I got some gloss black vinyl and tried wrapping the chrome strip, but it just didn’t look right, so I ended up buying a set of genuine Mini piano black scuttles with the yellow S from a Mini dealer and swapped out the scuttles. I got a discount on them so they were just under £80 delivered for the pair which I thought was reasonable. I intend selling the original ones with the chrome trim and should make back a chunk of my outlay.
    One thing to note, the parts guy at my local dealer told me piano black side scuttles didn’t exist for the SE, despite all the evidence to the contrary, so I went to another dealer who was able to get them. Same is true for the piano black Cooper S logo for the boot, so if your own dealer says they don’t exist, call another dealer.

45830D2D-88A9-473B-B477-DA346FD95E83.jpeg D502E049-F20C-4090-A937-1F190496E7F4.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    azausa likes this.
  17. Cool, would you happen to have the part number for these scuttles?

18. SpeedyRS

The parts guy I spoke to didn’t confirm the part number when ordering but the information on the invoice was:
    F56 LCI 5A204E7 / 4E8

I assume this means the part numbers are 5A204E7 and 5A204E8.

EDIT: I just checked one of the boxes they came in and the number on that goes 63175A204E7.

azausa likes this.
  19. ghost

ghost Active Member

I popped the chrome strip off my scuttles (from the top, if I recall) w/ a plastic trim lever tool that I had. Sprayed them w black plastidip when I sprayed all my emblems and light rings.

Attached Files:

SpeedyRS and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. CoachCookie

Yup, that video posted by SpeedyRS shows that coding was needed to stop faster flashing.

That's such a huge help! Really appreciate you providing the part numbers. A quick search online shows a couple of overseas (for me) vendors as well as ebay listings. Will check with my dealer first, but a good sign that they're at least available.

Also I totally agree with your decision. Black trim on enigmatic black looks outstanding! Almost had one secured that someone didn't take delivery on but the dealer decided to keep it for marketing :/

Good to know that with some care they can be removable! I should go this route as it's a bit more "sensible" but we will see.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  21. Thanks heaps, really appreciate this. Will look for these.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  22. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Actually, if you want the yellow S, I think you want these part numbers:
    63175A204E7
    63175A204E8

azausa and insightman like this.