Has software update reduced your Kona Electric range?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Domenick, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A Kona Electric owner is in contact with InsideEVs and believes a recent battery management system (BMS) software update to their car may have reduced its range by about 25 miles.

We are trying to get more detailed info about their situation, but in the meantime I thought I'd reach out to here and see if anyone has experienced anything like this.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I didn't notice any difference on projected miles. I didn't do many long range drives lately, though. So no extensive long driving range experience since the update.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Charged to 100% once after the software update. My range went UP from 300 to 313.

Andy Swarbrick and Domenick like this.
  5. No reduction in actual range after BMS update on my end.

Domenick likes this.
  6. My range went up about 50km on average, which is probably reflective of the fact I am not commuting as much and little highway driving.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Like several others, Mine went up .. 100% charge used to read 299 ... it is now 310 miles.

Andy Swarbrick likes this.
  9. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I was under the impression that one of the features updated is better charging of the lead acid battery. If charging is increased to improve it's performance, then it would stand that the high voltage battery would decrease a little. Was the range off the GOM? Did they record SOC before and after to get the difference?
    When we first got the car, the range actually did say 258 approx as advertised. It is now over 310 based on the GOM. That's is why I asked.

10. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    Just to confirm that the BMS update causes some registers to get set to zero. Things like CEC (Cumulative Energy Charged), CED (Cumalitive Energy Discharged), OpTime (Total Operating Time). This causes the GOM to loose its way a little, and you may see lower or higher predictions depending on what your driving style was like pre update.

After you have driven a few hundred miles and recharged a couple of times the GOM should get back to where it was for you pre update.

Hope this helps

John.

eastpole, Domenick and Andy Swarbrick like this.
  11. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I am the 2020 Kona EV Owner that reported the loss of EV Mileage Range after my 1st charge following my Battery Upgrade. I lost 25 Miles off my normal range of 320 to 325 EV Miles immediately after a full charge. I am encouraged by all of you that have posted an Increase in Range. My plan is to wait until after my 2nd charge and report the result back here. Thanks to Domenick for Helping to get me Signed up on this Forum!!!

Anaglypta and Domenick like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I am a Senior under Lockdown in California so I don't drive much. I usually charge my car with my Chargepoint Home Charger twice a month. Now, because of Covid-19 Closing my Gym and my Restaurants I doubt if I will even need another charge until around August 20th to 25th. I was wondering if there is a Limiter on the amount the Battery can be Charged. I seem to remember seeing something in the Manual (?) or on the Cars Settings (?) about setting a limit on the amount of the Charge, such as setting it to 80%. If so, maybe the DEALER did this without my knowledge? Does anyone know anything about this or am I having LockDown Hallucinations?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  14. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Also wanted to Thank Gustavo Ruffo for Getting me on this Forum!!!

15. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

no change in actual range. Original factory default range was restored as all the charging and consumption history was erased..

16. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I just found a YouTube Video called THE EV PUZZLE that discusses the Distance to Empty gauge, the GoM. The author states in the Comments: "Customers who have had the update, many without their knowledge, have discovered the range of the car reduces. In some cases, dramatically! The result, for some customers, is a loss in confidence in the car's ability to travel distances it was previously capable of. In essence, range anxiety has been introduced by the update".

The Link to this video is here: .
    Is this Distance to Empty Gauge part of the EV Battery Update because of the Kona Fires? This YouTube Video was Posted in May of 2019 so I don't know if it would be applicable to my or our situation. Does anyone know?

17. If you were driving efficiently before the update and continue driving efficiently, you'll see GOM mileage increases with each successive future charge. Before the upgrade, I was happy to see 310 miles per full charge. My last charge yielded just shy of 360 miles, having charged several times now after the update. Don't despair!

18. Center screen - tap / EV/ energy info/ Dc or AC charge limit - set either in 10% increments (if that is what you mean).:)

mho, navguy12 and BaylorBob like this.
  19. Seeing as we are in a hot spell and have been for a while, I am sure it will go back to original given time and cooler temperatures, but for now- enjoy the extra mileage:)

20. You can adjust the percentage of charge in the center screen. Press the ev icon on the home screen then press charge management, then press charging limits. Finally select AC (or DC ) charging and adjust the limits up or down in 10 % increments. If I am using the car regularly I set it at 80%. During shelter in place I lower to 60 or 70 % based on how much driving I expect to do (not much). For long trips I will set it at 100%.
    You can find this information in the Kona manuals that came with the car on page H-11

navguy12 and BaylorBob like this.
  21. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

WOW BILL, A 50 MILE INCREASE IS TERRIFIC. THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS. I SHOULD GO OUT IN THE GARAGE AND TURN ON MY CAR AND RUN THE AC UNTIL THE BATTERY DIES. THEN RECHARGE IT! MAYBE DO THIS 3 or 4 TIMES. Another Great Benefit of EV Cars Is that they don't Emit Carbon Monoxide!!!!

22. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I NEED TO LOOK AT THIS ASAP TO SEE IF THE DEALER CHANGED IT WITH THE UPDATE. I REMEMBER SETTING IT AT 100% BUT I DIDN"T REMEMBER WHERE TO FIND IT. Thanks Again!!!

23. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Thank You!!!