Frustration with Service Center after recall update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Clamps, Nov 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Where to begin. I’ve had the 196 software update completed. When I picked up my car I asked the service desk, “Is it safe to park my car in my garage?”. He essentially rushed me out the door and said all the work completed is on your invoice. I left, got home and not feeling satisfied called back the next day. I asked two simple questions, can I safely park my car in my garage and can I safely charge my car to 100 percent. He dodged answering and then said I will call you back. He didn’t call back so two days later I called back. I asked him again, can I park my car in my garage and he said I can’t tell you where to park your car. So I asked, after the recall update can I SAFELY park my car in my garage? He wouldn’t answer and instead gave me the number for Hyundai Customer Care. I asked him why he is having me call this number and shouldn’t my dealer have received this information.

So I gave up and called the customer care number. And I kid you not the rep suggested I should call a different dealer’s service center. After I told her how absurd that was she asked to put me on hold to get more info. After returning and hedging her answer as much as possible she said it should be safe to park your car in your garage and to charge your car to 100%.

Nobody has made me feel confident and nobody is being accountable. Those of you who have had the update have you received information from your dealer about the service done and the safety of your car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would defer to the owner's manual which does not preclude you from either of those situations. Since you've had the update any temporary advice regarding those items is no longer applicable. Just as dealer's service managers are not rocket scientists and able to analyse the technology on demand, they are not lawyers either.

4. We have not had this most recent recall 196 done yet. What do they do? How long will they have the car. Last BMS update (recall) took 1 week and had to drive a ICE loaner car. Are they replacing the High voltage batteries, or what?

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I had my Recall 960 done at Lakeland Hyundai and it took a couple of hours.. Recall 196 was also done here at Lakeland Hyundai.. They finished the first updates within 2 hours but the last update kept failing. They had the car for 24 hours before I got it back.. It's a software update and if the car fails a test as part of the update, they will need to get you a new battery.. My car passed without issues .

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  6. Thx, will have to schedule with our dealer. I was worried they don't really know what they are doing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hmm, I remain unconvinced that they do. I am still in wait and see mode.

9. While I understand your point I think it’s perfectly reasonable to ask Hyundai service reps or customer care service if it’s safe to park my car in my garage. They specifically asked us not to park indoors or near structures before update. Those involved should be able to answer this most basic of questions as it should have been addressed.

Jared Potter and apu like this.
  10. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

If you bring it to Lakeland Hyundai, they have actually done mine before, so it would not be their first Kona Electric 196 update.. I'm sure that your dealer can get it done but the first one may always be a challenge.. I understand that Lakeland Hyundai is probably over an hour from where you are..

11. I'm with KiwiME on this one.
    Remember the Dealers are independent businesses, not usually part of Hyundai. They must defer to Hyundai on these sensitive legal items. Try talking to the business owner: they are the ones with all the risk. Service managers are just employees normally. And the advice to park or not park where came from Hyundai, so they may or may not have advice on an updated vehicle.

BTW, I had my update 2 days ago - went without a hitch. As always, Springfield Hyundai have been first class.
    I sorta felt my car had a bit of extra "pep" in it; imagination?

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. In all fairness to Clamps he was instructed by Hyundai/NHTSA that his car was recalled as a potential fire hazard and what the remediation process may be and very little information after that. I think the question is legitimate as its unclear that Hyundai fully understands the full nature of the problem. I think its legitimate for your servicing dealer as an accepted agent of Hyundai to provide some degree of supporting information in this regard. I mean honestly your service advisor has no problem about giving you service related safety opinions when it suits their income stream. Sadly the reluctance to provide an answer to Clamps question implies that they don't have enough data to confidently state that this recall remediation will prevent battery fires.

Clamps likes this.
  14. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

My update was Nov. 4, they told me it would be 1 hour it took 4, the reason being it was the first update they performed and they had a learning curve. The invoice basically states the update for recall 196 was performed. That's it. To be honest, I'm not confident they even did it, since all of my settings remained unchanged. Like you, when I asked if it was safe now, they weren't definitive, as if they were cautiously tiptoeing around legal ramifications.

I've posted several times now that dealer sales and service departments are for the most part woefully lacking in EV knowledge and experience, nor do they have incentive to learn, since there's no profit in it for them. Frankly I wouldn't trust them to put it on a lift properly for a tire rotation. When I picked the car up new 13 months ago, it had 60 miles in the tank, the salesman telling me their charger wasn't working. They couldn't even have plugged the level 1 into a standard wall outlet? Maybe they didn't know how.

Anyway having said all that, I'm confident that as EV's gain popularity and competitiveness, which they will, the dealerships will have to adjust and get up to speed, however grudgingly. It may not be obvious yet, but the days of fossil cars are numbered.

15. From the TSB with my underlining:
    In the context of what you normally do with any car, asking if it's safe to park in the garage is a perfectly reasonable question. But the context of an EV that has just had a repair to reduce the risk of spontaneous combustion, their reluctance to say it's "safe" is understandable because the implication is that it's in absolute terms. They've only seen the same TSB we've seen and are likely no more enlightened about this problem than we are.

16. Yes indeed. All good points above, including Apu.
    I wasn't excusing, just explaining.
    As I have noted before, the dealer biz model is not going to work with EVs - no money in the servicing.
    When I asked the same questions as Jimct & Clamps, I got a completely up-front response: "sorry, we just don't know"; "Hyundai haven't told us"
    Since we have seen in the last couple of days the same issue in Chevy Bolts, it might be LG Chem need to step up now.
    (and as an aside, some my settings did change with the upgrade)

apu and electriceddy like this.
  17. Probably the most conscientious "answer" I have heard to date;)

18. That’s fine, then all they have to tell me that it is not safe to park in my garage. The fact that they won’t tell me anything is utterly frustrating.

19. I think some common sense has to play here. Given the legal situation in the US, you can't expect them to say absolutely that it would be safe to park in your garage. But that doesn't mean then that they should say it is unsafe to park in your garage. Given the newness of EV batteries (as compared to gasoline in ICE cars), I think the same situation would apply to any EV manufacturer, whether or not they ever had a fire. And remember Tesla was having fires long before the Kona even became available for sale.

Having said that, I do think it is fair and reasonable to ask and learn as much as you can about the circumstances and potential risks, just as you have done. Blind faith with such serious consequences is not wise either. But in the end, we have to make our own assessments and what we are comfortable with. If you really don't trust your car, then maybe sell it, and go back to an ICE vehicle.

Life is full of risks. Doesn't mean we should all hole up in our homes and not go out anywhere. In business, at my job we had to make some pretty important risk assessments with some decisions. This equation was always a good guide. Degree of risk = cost X frequency (incl a probability estimate). In this case, the probability of it happening to you is very, very small, and the cost is not very high (you do have insurance, right?). So for me it is actually very much a no brainer. Hopefully, it should not be too difficult to decide how big this risk is for you either.

Fastnf and KiwiME like this.
  20. For a goods night sleep a solution could be as simple as new wallpaper:
    :D

Clamps, Fastnf and apu like this.
  21. A simple shoulder shrug, eh?

I'm not asking for an absolute, I'm asking in regards to the recall. Hyundai asked owners not to park inside or near structures before recall service, a definitive statement. I simply want to know post recall service, according to Hyundai, if I can safely park my car inside or near structures once again.

To your curious assumption about other EV manufacturers, um no, seriously, you are just making stuff up.

In regards to Tesla I decided to dig into it and yes they have had incidents of fire but they've resolved their recalls due to defect while the majority of Tesla fires were due to collision,

https://www.cars.com/research/tesla/recalls/

In summary one recall due to electrical or fire risk that was related to the external charging cord and another on improperly routed wire in the Roadster. I have no information if any actual fire occurred simply that Tesla performed a recall for the potential risk.

:rolleyes:

Regardless of insurance I do not want to invite damage of property, injury or even death to myself or others due to ignorance.

Hard to determine if I can't get information.

Most of us are Kona Electric owners here and it's completely reasonable for us to ask such a basic question and receive an honest answer.

22. Well, I tried to give you some advice to decide for yourself (the equation) if it is safe or not to park in the garage. Nothing more I can say about that...

KiwiME likes this.
  23. R P, you seem like a decent fellow as I've gotten to know you on this forum but I think you are really missing the point. I'm frustrated by the lack of accountability on Hyundai and their representatives. I'm not in a quandary about my risk determination.

For the record, I am parking my car in my garage but I've only felt comfortable charging it to 80% which is what I would do normally anyway unless road tripping. Having said that, when I do charge I have the car outside the garage and extend the cord from the back wall to the car as opposed to my previous electric car which I charged inside the garage.