First J01 produced yesterday

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Oct 15, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Those production tail lights look okay, like a minimalized version of the current Union Jack design. One oddity I just noticed, the J01 retains the 2022 LCI frontend design but doesn't seem to have the air curtain slits. So the iconic fog lamps were dropped for no reason? Boo. Overall though it does still look true to current MINI styling.

And no faux hood scoop, maybe @insightman's letter had some influence after all. (Unless what's pictured is the Cooper S, so there's a risk the Cooper SE could have a fake scoop.)

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Really the only thing new in the article is the fact that production of the J01 has begun (and the obligatory group photo of the workers building them).

But with respect to the fog lights, they were undoubtedly ditched to reduce aero drag - their removal opens up multiple opportunities for how to best manage air flow, with slits/air curtains being just one. In particular, the lower/outer part of the bumper is slightly recessed, which to my eye would help smoothly guide air around the corners of the car past the front wheels, possibly/presumably obviating the need for slits.

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Any confirmation yet if the HUD will project onto the windscreen? Or if we'll still have "one more thing that can break"?

jakesmini likes this.
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Same HUD as the F56 but a little more detail. Backup camera now has 360 bird eye view like the 2013+ BMWs. The under seat bass speakers have been replaced with a real amp+subwoofer in the hidden boot compartment.

minihud.JPG

MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No hood scoop, but I wasn't surprised. I knew from my study of MINI head designer Oliver Heilmer's sketches, concept cars, and prototypes, that he was no fan of that skeuomorphic feature. However, when Mr. Heilmer got the opportunity to start from scratch, he minimalized away a lot of the interior features I found intuitive and useful.

The first car off the assembly line has started the clock ticking. How long will it tick before the first J01 is delivered in the US?

8. insightman

teslarati97 likes this.
  9. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Aside from inherent reliability, the (mild) complaint I have about projecting onto a screen instead of the windshield is the utility. Initially I felt that it was the height (too low), but now I have decided that it is the tinted background. In my spouse's CX-5, the projected information seems to be on the road in front of you, requiring little change in the focus of your vision. In the SE, though, the HUD is just another screen inside the car, which pulls your eyes not only lower but also closer to read.

On the plus side, the screen rising out of the dashboard every time you turn the car on is nice to impress passengers.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
    SameGuy likes this.
  10. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Besides the lack of range, sounds like my SE. Replaced my amp, subs, added 360, HUD on a goofy plastic sheet :D

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. teslarati97

The bonus with using a pop-up HUD is that it does not interfere with polarized sunglasses!

Also power seats with 2 driver memory + power lumbar and 18 inch wheel options (225/40).

The throttle pedal is now top mounted instead of floor mounted - not sure how I feel about that one.

insightman and MichaelC like this.
  13. teslarati97

Looks cooler on Google Maps across the street from Xinlianxin Happy Farmhouse. I don't know what voodoo magic was able to cut through all that smog.

14. inferno10

inferno10 Member

I hope the new OS supports more advanced CarPlay features like passing SoC info to Apple Maps and displaying Apple Maps turn-by-turn (or the map itself) in the HUD.

carrrl likes this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't think "Zhangjiagang factory" rolls off the tongue as well as "Plant Oxford". :)

SameGuy, teslarati97 and insightman like this.
  16. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Another bonus: You can still read it when bug(s) splat on the windshield in that location. When this happens with a HUD that projects onto the windshield, it's a challenge to focus on the projection and not the bug guts.

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  17. insightman

On that map, Guotai N Rd looks like a major thoroughfare. Does it go under the factory?

teslarati97 likes this.
  18. insightman

That photo was the first I've seen that refers to the BMW/GWM factory as the "Spotlight Automotive plant."

SameGuy likes this.
  19. teslarati97

Most of Google has been banned in China since 2010 so there will be some inaccurate data. That being said, it could be a super tunnel!

Maybe try one of the of the state-sponsored Chinese super apps for better accuracy!

insightman likes this.
  20. SameGuy

YUL
    The article was the first I had seen referencing the new name, despite the partnership being formed almost five years ago.

21. SameGuy

YUL
    I was wondering about that, as I have a VLT 80 ceramic film on the inside of my windscreen, and my (admittedly cheap) polarized sunglasses show vivid kaleidoscopes out the windows, and alter the colors of signs and road surfaces (ie dark asphalt looks olive green).

22. teslarati97

The polarizing component should cut down the glare, but the color shift is from light filtration. In your case you probably have G15 replica aviators or high contrast copper/brown lens sport sunglasses. Generally filters won't dramatically affect windscreen HUD visibility like polarizing sunglasses do.

SameGuy likes this.