Factory, Tuxmats or WeatherTech?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by amy2421, Aug 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I know there have been a couple of threads about mats but I'm really confused about what to do. I usually just buy the generic PantSaver floor mats at Costco, throw them in the car and call it a day.

Now that they have been available for a little while, which is considered "better" between the Tuxmats and the Weathertech mats? I was considering the Honda all-weather mats but I have seen several people selling them which leads me to believe there are better options.

Does the car come with any mats from the factory, even fabric ones?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. weave

weave Active Member

The car comes with carpeted floor mats.

I got a set of WeatherTechs (front only) and am very happy with them.

amy2421 likes this.
  4. The car comes with fabric mats. I replaced the. With weatherech, mostly because they are a good company made in the US.

amy2421 likes this.
  5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Honda mats are a decent choice and are made out of a flexible rubber compound. Their only problem is the poor coverage of the front mats. Especially the fact that they don’t cover the driver’s left foot rear very well at all. I was also finding debris got around them to the carpet more than I would like. Better than carpet mats but I think not as good as WT or TM.

I got the WeatherTech. They are made of a less flexible thermo-plastic compound and fit like a glove using the 2 OEM turn buckles. I really like them but they have 2 areas I’d change. One, they don’t cover the the raised battery hump in front of the seat but that’s not a deal breaker since it’s high enough not to to get sloshed or stepped on. Second, the driver’s mat doesn’t come all the way up to the top of the left foot rest. It’s definitely high enough to keep melted ice contained but still leaves the top half of the foot rest exposed. Don’t know if over time, my foot will start to wear the corner of the carpet there. The big plus for the WTs is their perfect fit, generous lip to protect carpets and contain coupious amounts of melted snow and slush, and use of the factory hold downs. I’m happy with them and can accept the 2 minor points mentioned above.

I also considered the TuxMats. Pictures posted here look like they provide great coverage and fit. I didn’t like that they come with clips you pierce the carpet with and so are a little harder to remove/replace. Also, they wouldn’t sell me just the front mats. Their rear mats cover the center hump unlike the OEM Honda rear mats which are two piece. So that’s a plus for the TMs.

So if you want a little better coverage and protection from winter slush, you won’t go wrong with either the WT or TM. Look at the pictures posted and then it’s kind of personal choice.

Mine came with carpeted floor mats. However, surprisingly for a Honda, I found them to be very cheap and in only 2 weeks, my right heel had made a noticeable divot in them. They look nice but I don’t think they will hold up.
    Hope this helps you decide.

Numbernine, amy2421 and ClarityDoc like this.
  6. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

I bought just the front TuxMats (yes, they sold me only the fronts) because I also didn’t like their one piece rear mat. So far it is holding up nicely and doing the job well.

amy2421 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

I've had the weathertechs in my previous car and just got the Tuxmats. I was disappointed in the warping of the weathertechs over time. The raised sides begin curving inward. So far the tuxmats are cheaper, cover everything and use clips to hug the sides. Long term verdict is still out but right now they are far superior.

amy2421 likes this.
  9. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

what's wrong with the 1 piece rear mat?

amy2421 likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I look forward to finding larger, better aftermarket carpets that provide greater coverage. Fortunately, Honda didn't embroider "Clarity" on their OEM carpets (like they did with our pre-2019 Insights), so I won't feel like our Clarity is less authentic every time I look at the better aftermarket carpets I hope to find. We got Honda's rubber mats with the car and they worked OK last winter, but I prefer carpets in the less messy seasons.

amy2421 likes this.
  11. Ordell98

Ordell98 New Member

The Honda rubber mats are pretty great for factory mats, though Ken is right that they don’t cover like WT or Tux. As a parent of two little kids I got the Tuxmay because th backseat coverage is incredible—— they cover the seat base and tuck under the back seats, and cover the middle hump on the floor, so I love them.

Weather techs are great but don’t cover the ‘dead pedal’ so you may get junk all over that unless you get Tuxmat which does cover it.

amy2421 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bulls96

bulls96 Member

Where is the best place to buy them? Can anyone provide a link? Weathermats/tuxmats.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

amy2421 likes this.
  14. Ordell98

Ordell98 New Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079SNS3C2/
    Here’s the Tuxmat amazon link.

amy2421 likes this.
  15. ClarityPHEVer

ClarityPHEVer Member

I think a big factor is also the weather where you live. If I still lived in the northeast, I’d want the Tuxmats for sure. We have almost no inclement weather here. I just have the carpets it came with, and honestly they would be just fine except they are not durable enough...4 months of ownership and I have noticeable wear from my driving foot. So now I’m shopping for mats. With no snow and almost no rain, I’m thinking of just getting the oem ones. Maybe if one of you is upgrading, Let me know if you want to sell your Honda ones.

amy2421 and Ordell98 like this.
  16. I have similar experience with the all-weather mat on my Jeep which uses similar thermoplastic rubber as weathertech.
    The raised sides somewhat curved inward probably because of hot weather in So Cal.

amy2421 likes this.
  17. David A

David A Guest

Just installed weathertech floor liners in the Clarity. Excellent fit. Took a chance and ordered the tan to go with the beige interior and it looks surprisingly good.

Weathertech or tuxmats...both good products and do what they are supposed to do.

amy2421 likes this.
  18. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I really appreciate all the responses and advice! It sounds like the Tuxmat coverage might be better for where I live, because we do get a lot of snow and slush in the winter. The Tuxmats look like they might feel a little nicer underfoot, can anyone confirm that?

Thanks again!

19. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

The OEM rubber mats are much better than what I've got in the past on the 09 Accord, and both 12 and 18 Ody. Those were simply flat with channels but no raised edges like these.

20. Ordell98

Ordell98 New Member

Yeah I’d say so, they have some padding which is nice.

21. Kailani

Kailani Member

I have a green clarity. With the beige interior. Reading this forum steered me to the Tuxmat but it looks like they only come in black. Black shows every spec of dirt. I’m inclined to go with Weathertech’s beige mats. Now that you have them installed, how well do they handle the dirt? Anyone else have the beige mats? Would love some feedback.

22. David A

David A Guest

Kailani...I have the Moonlit Forest Pearl as well. The mats seem to do well so far and nothing out of the ordinary stands out. They're going to get dirty. Should be easy enough to vacuum/wipe off like any other...unless you live in red clay country like Alabama...lol

IMHO the tan blends well with the beige and the black trim.

Good luck.

23. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I pulled the trigger and ordered the TuxMats from Costco.ca. For anyone considering them, there is a 4X Aeroplan points promo on Costco.ca that started today, promo code AERO4. I'll let you know how I like them once (a) I have the car, and (b) I have the mats, and (c) I've installed them. :)

Thanks again for all the advice!

rickyrsx and Ordell98 like this.