EVs Vs ICE Vehicles

Discussion in 'General' started by SJP, Jun 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SJP

SJP New Member

Why do you think EVs have not replaced ICE vehicles yet? What could actually make people prefer EVs over ICE vehicles?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. cost. range anxiety. recharge time. price of electricity vs. gas. number of chargers vs. number of gas stations. In other words, most people are not willing to give up any aspect to own an EV vs. ICE

rcarter3636 likes this.
  4. Unfamiliarity: The friends I take on road trips all would buy an EV as their next car. Those who have not used them worry about range, charge time and infrastructure. Most who own EV’s wouldn’t go back to an to an ICE. I have restored and raced cars for over 50 years. I am a professional engineer and an expert mechanic. My next restoration will also be an EV conversion. Electric is so much nicer. I never have to go to the gas station. I just plug in at home and charge from solar. No oil change, no smog check, less brake wear do to regen. The list goes on…..

KD4KCD and miatadan like this.
  5. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Would love 1964 Mustang convertible / Mazda MX5 as an EV conversion. Grew up with pony cars/sports cars .... as you say " Electric is so much nicer. I never have to go to the gas station. I just plug in at home and charge from solar. No oil change, no smog check, less brake wear do to regen. The list goes on…. "

Dan

6. Exactly, I have a 65 Ranchero and a 74 Porsche 914-6. The debate I have with myself is do I sell what I have and start from scratch or do I rip out all the work I have done on the ICE side. I am leaning to selling on the Ranchero and either or on the 914-6. I could probably get enough for the drive train from the Porsche to convert the Porsche.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. You may want to hold off on selling the drivetrain, this conversion enthusiast kept the 5 speed transmission to give more maneuverability and choices for power ;)

mho likes this.
  9. 796E539B-2269-41E4-AEF5-88C19A7F0F82.jpeg
    I would agree if I had a 914 4 cylinder worth a couple of grand but I have a 6 cylinder race engine worth $20k. It will do 180mph so if I am going to convert it I would probably go with a Tesla motor to get similar acceleration. It would be for time trials not street driving.

The car weighs in around 1100 lbs with out the drive train. Adding 600- 800 lbs of batteries and 200-300 of motor and it would weigh in around 2200lbs

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  10. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Here's one source for the go fast electric bits:
    https://www.cascadiamotion.com/
    Lots of racing history and their stuff is top notch. Probably much better suited for your application than adapting Tesla parts.

Fastnf likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

• higher street performance - I beat traffic across the intersection and reach the speed limit 200 yards ahead of the mob.
    • lower purchase price - by trading in my former ride, the purchase price came down to below $24,000.
    • better driver assistance - with AutoPilot, the car drives itself.
    • quiet and low maintenance - in EV mode, it is about 1/2 to 1/3d the cost per mile.
    • kids love 'em
    An EV has nearly two orders of magnitude fewer moving parts than any ICE vehicle. It regenerates braking energy which means the brakes last nearly 10x longer without replacing pads. There is no 220 lb (100 kg) transmission to fail and the efficient heating and air conditioning makes it very affordable to drive in cold and hot weather.

I am not in the business of selling my 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 against other EVs (like some who do.) Rather, the real targets are ICE cars whether gasoline, diesel, or fuel cell. So the right answer is identify and target our common enemy ... ignorance!

Bob Wilson

NewGreen and miatadan like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Humans have an innate tendency to stick with the familiar -- "the devil you know." Right now, EVs seem exotic and a bit scary to most folks. And a lot of misconceptions remain, and the media haven't done much to clear them up.

But EVs are so clearly superior to ICE cars, for all the reasons others have stated, that I think the tipping point will be here very soon. EV sales are already rising much faster than ICE cars. If the industry can produce the right cars in sufficient quantities, this is going to look a lot like how smartphones took over the cell phone market.

14. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

If they made new ICE vehicles illegal it would take 20 years for EVs to 'replace' ICE vehicles
    There are still barriers to cost[half of all vehicles sold cost less than the cheapest EV],usability[try pulling a 20 foot travel trailer with an EV] and yes range.
    The first sub 50k 250 mile range EV came out when? 2 years ago?

Patience

15. papab

papab Member

I would prefer an EV over an ICE vehicle. I haven't replaced my 07 Rav4 because no one is making a suitable replacement. Ground clearance is the sticking point. I drove to a trailhead right near town yesterday that I'm pretty sure a Tesla Y would scrape ground. The Y is not an SUV, it's a sporty hatchback. The ID4 is better in some ways, but has it's own issues. The other issue is size, everything is a little smaller than a Rav4. I could adapt to that tho I'd have to put bikes on the back which increases the theft risk.

16. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

2nd quarter sales stats suggest rapid growth of US EV sales continues as more choices hit the market. Tesla figures aren't out yet, so we don't have total numbers or market share, but new EV models are taking off. VW sold about 5,500 ID4s in its first full quarter of sales. The Mach-e is selling as fast as Ford can build them, staying on dealer lots just 11 days (industry average is about 60). Audi's expanding e-tron line is up solidly, as are established models like the Leaf and Bolt.

The tipping point is actually here, but it will be a couple more years before most people realize it.

17. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

There's also a certain visceral appeal in the living, breathing "old iron", that will probably never go away.
    From your blown hemi through "Red Barchetta" to the Honda Mini-trail that the neighbor's kid will never
    finish restoring... and the guy down the road with the hit-or-miss on the trailer he still takes to shows.

_H*

18. I love electric cars and see no reason to ever buy a gasoline powered one again with one exception, a manual Mazda Miata.

Having said that I’m also an avid motorcyclist and riding an electric bike while fun it’s not nearly as engaging/stimulating as a gasoline bike. At least not yet.

electriceddy and miatadan like this.
  19. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

> " ... electric bike while fun it’s not nearly as engaging/stimulating as a gasoline bike"

Try an e-scooter. The thrill will come back with a vengeance.

_H*

20. bwilson4web

I would (did) add:
    • helmet
    • gloves
    • knee pads
    • elbow pads
    Bob Wilson

21. Just to be clear, when I wrote electric bike, I meant electric motorcycle. They are fun but in a different way. Haven’t tried an e-scooter yet but I’ve ridden plenty of scooters from Honda to Vespa.

22. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

One point nobody has said yet is uncertainty of the longevity of the battery. All of the maintenance savings from not having oil changes or whatever would go out of the window if it was necessary to replace a battery.

23. bwilson4web

Which is why the Tesla battery warranty is:
    • 70% capacity
    • 8 years
    • 100,000 miles (160,000 km)
    There have been Tesla battery, warranty replacements.

Bob Wilson

ENirogus likes this.