Delay between reverse and forward?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Smart Wannabe, Jan 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

I am not sure if it has anything to do with Winter tire or what. But there is a delay of a few seconds between after i reversed down end of drive way and then Drive and away. And this seems to happen on level ground too between reverse and drive. Have anyone else experience the same? does anyone know what it is. I thought that i can get rid of the delay by putting into Sport Mode but that did nothing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I have not experienced anything similar. Can you give more details? Like does this happen only when backing out of a steep driveway? Or only when backing out onto a steep street? Only happens on gravel?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I have noticed no delay. I even had to do a tight maneuver into my garage today requiring forward/reverse a few times, and had no issues with delay on my 2021 SE.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Thanks. Took the SE for a drive. No change on the issue. Wonder if it has anything to do with the Lack of TPMS which i didn’t buy extra for my winter tires.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've had this problem since my 2021 SE was new. Sometimes when there's traffic coming it gets scary.

Urbanengineer, MichaelC and F14Scott like this.
  9. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Same. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact conditions to replicate it, but there have been times I reverse out of a place, shift into drive, floor it, and get a very anemic, gradual roll onto power.

insightman and MichaelC like this.
  10. I seriously doubt there to be any connection to TPMS. I decided to save myself some money by not installing TPMS for my sinter steel wheels. I have a decent tire pressure gauge and check pressures when the have been big temperature changes.
    Is it possible that you have some slight roll continuing?

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Pretty sure that i was stationary when i change to forward. I wish that i can try with the stock rims now. Maybe it has something to do with cold temperature too. Maybe something to do with somewhere that there is not enough voltage to get the car moving right away.

13. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Same here. Sometimes it doesn't happen, but I haven't quite figured out what specific combination of steering angle, brake pressure, and shifting speed cause it to transition more quickly. I think the timing of when I straighten out the steering wheel versus when I come to a stop is a factor.

I speculate this is intentional, to protect the driveshafts from breaking due to applying too much torque at the wrong time.

14. piflechien

piflechien New Member

Yes I agree. this is to protect it.
    It does that to me too when I switch gear without being totally stopped.
    If you totally break to full stop, then change gear, then never experienced any delay.

JonR likes this.
  15. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

Happened to me this morning

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Because it's not consistent, I don't believe the drivetrain-protection theory.

17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

So maybe driving style is the difference? I'm pretty diligent about coming to a full stop before changing direction, I think it's about the only time I use the brake pedal.

JonR likes this.
  18. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Even if I brake to a full stop, there is a delay/additional slowness to power ramp-up than usual if the steering angle isn't straight.

Sometimes, if I brake hard to come to a quick stop, I can take off more quickly (provided the steering angle is straight enough).

19. The SE has no gearbox anyone considered how you actually change direction ?

All the parameters are adjustable within the motor controller I can change direction at slow speed without any delay I have not tried it at higher speeds yet.

20. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

I've notices this specially when going up after reversing...

21. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

No gears. Well, no selectable gears. As I understand it, the polarity to the electric drive motor is simply reversed.

I have observed that the speedo also works in reverse. So, my question is, will the SE also go 94mph in reverse? Or is there some artificial lower limitation? Inquiring minds and all.

I guess I’ll be looking for a large parking or deserted airstrip…

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Urbanengineer and MichaelC like this.
  22. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Skip to 7:38

ghost, SpeedyRS and MichaelC like this.