Dealer add-ons: ceramic coating, door/handle/bumper guards

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Miniman, Aug 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Miniman

Miniman New Member

Hi All,
    Brand new here and excited that I'm about to place an order on an Iconic Enig Black 2022 SE at my local dealer. He offered up some "add-ons" which were the ceramic coating for $795 and those door/handle/bumper guards for $399. I'm inclined to just say no to all add-on's but thought I'd ask the community their opinions on these!

We have submitted our build to our salesperson and he's checked our credit and sent back a quote for me to sign which is where he included the add-ons. I will say he was not pushy and he said I can remove them before we order as he was just letting me know what they recommend.

Thanks!

GvilleGuy and polyphonic like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure what the door/handle/bumper guards are, but all of that sounds like a waste of money.

You're going to love the car though! :)

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

If you're interested in any of the add-ons, I recommend you ask the dealer for an itemized list (with prices) of what they offer. For each item you think you might like, search your local area to see if there are any shops that could do the same thing (or something better) for a competitive price. You could then use that information to either tell the dealer "no thank you" and go to the other shop(s) or attempt to negotiate a better price if you prefer the convenience of having that done before taking delivery.

I assume the door/handle/bumper guards are a paint protection film (often referred to as "PPF"). It wouldn't hurt to ask them to clarify, though.

We have discussed ceramic coating and PPF a couple times before, so reading these threads may help you form an opinion about whether or not you would be interested in either (or both) for your car:

Godfrey, GvilleGuy and polyphonic like this.
  5. I used these to protect the door handle cups (if thats what they mean?) Certainly didn't cost $399!
    upload_2021-8-19_13-35-20.jpeg

Miniman, MichaelC and Novadar like this.
  6. Better Image, sorry.
    upload_2021-8-19_13-43-15.jpeg

Novadar and GvilleGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Interesting - how do those attach?

9. They are just adhesive backed. I’ve used them on all my Mini’s. They look smart.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My experience driving MINIs over the years say a protective film on the front is a good idea, especially if you drive a lot. The low profile of the MINI makes it susceptible to damage from flying rocks.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My definition of a "rock" would cause PPF, paint, and metal damage. There is a size (and angularity) threshold below which the PPF will protect the paint from an incoming projectile, but what a bummer when that threshold is exceeded. The repair will cost even more because it will include re-application of the PPF.

I'm curious, do incoming projectiles affect the appearance of the PPF? Do the most vulnerable surfaces begin to look hazy like old windshields?

I purchased a scoopless hood for my SE (because electric cars don't need hood scoops), and had it painted and installed for less than some outfits charge to put PPF on a MINI hood. It took me more than 8 months, but I finally found a buyer for my original one-week-after-I-took-delivery Moonwalk Grey hood who was willing to pay $250. I believe a new hood-scoop insert alone costs nearly half that much.

MichaelC likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

My experience with ECP ceramic has been great. The paint looks glossier, water beads up, and washing the car is a breeze. It also protects the plastic parts (like the tray between the windshield and the bonnet) from going grey in the sun. I also had the interior done. My dealer did everything. Some things might be worth going cheap, but this is good protection.

14. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Congrats on finding a home for your hood!

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

A good home: it went to a guy in Chicago who is restoring a salvaged Moonwalk Grey MINI Cooper S for his son to drive.

GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  16. Puppethead

I've had PPF on the front of all five MINIs I've owned, and never noticed a change in the looks. As for damage, lots of things bounce off the car, especially if you have to drive behind semi trucks or on gravel roads. The worst impact I had was a tumbleweed that dented my unprotected hood, but that wasn't one of my MINIs.

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  17. Miniman

Miniman New Member

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I still don't know what the dealer was trying to sell with the door/handle/bumper guards but I decided against any add-ons. I figure I know a professional detailer who will do ceramic if I decide I want it. I wasn't sure in letting the dealership install a ceramic coating for me. I think I will ask my dealer what the guards are specifically since everyone seems stumped.

MichaelC likes this.
  18. Miniman

Miniman New Member

Where do you buy these?

19. Miniman

Miniman New Member

My dealer says the door/handle/bumper guards are a 3m product applied to the edge of the doors, and over the handles and rear bumper.
    Sounds like it could be a worthy add on, still not sure!

20. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Wait, isn't the clear 3m film on the door edge and behind the handle standard? I sure didn't pay for it and it came on my Signature...

20210901_170230.jpg

21. Miniman

Miniman New Member

Well, that's interesting! I didn't know that if it is indeed standard. Hopefully some others on here can chime in with their knowledge on this subject. I hope I'm not being left out of some standard paint protection features.

22. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

My Iconic did not have either when I took delivery.

23. Puppethead

Not standard. I had that added to my Iconic SE when I got it. I've had it on all my MINIs, but had to pay for it to be added after delivery. So lucky you if your dealer threw that in as a freebie.