Tint, Paint Protection Film, Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MichaelC, Oct 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Done! I dropped the car off Tuesday morning and picked it up over lunch today.
    • XPEL paint protection film applied to the full front bumper (including the "grille"), hood, fenders, mirror caps, and headlights.
    • XPEL Prime XR tint applied to side and back windows. XPEL claims this film can block up to 88% infrared heat.
    • Ceramic coating applied all the way around (exterior).
    IMG_0280.jpeg IMG_0281.jpeg IMG_0282.jpeg IMG_0283.jpeg IMG_0284.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic!

MichaelC likes this.
  4. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

We'll be like fraternal twins... I have a tint appointment on Saturday afternoon. Looks great!

MichaelC likes this.
  5. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Mine is getting tint now... my sales guy is teasing me and holding out on sending pics... might have to do some clandestine looking tonight

insightman and MichaelC like this.
  6. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

Excellent! Thanks for posting pics. This is sure to protect your investment for many years.

I love the racing stripes. I'm assuming you got that done before the PPF and ceramic coating?

Also, what % tint are we looking at?

MichaelC likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

30% i think is what I checked on the form.

9. MichaelC

Thanks!

Yes, I had the dealership install the stripes before I took delivery.

This is 35% tint, which is the maximum darkness per Kansas law.

10. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

Nice. Pretty sure 35% is the max. we're allowed in Australia too. You've basically got all the extras I'm looking at (PPF for the front, ceramic coating, tint and racing stripes).

MichaelC likes this.
  11. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I’ve never even heard of PPF and ceramic coating. What are some prices you get on these services? It looks like my area (SC) is around $800 for ceramic and $1,000 for the “clear bra” that does partial front.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MichaelC

When I first started researching my options, I found this video to be very helpful in understanding the differences between paint protection film and ceramic coating:

Prices will vary by region, labor rates, materials used, and condition of your car's paint. That said, the numbers you show seem to be in the right ballpark. As with anything, you should shop around and find reviews to find the option that best fits your needs and budget.

While installing paint protection film requires some level of skill and experience, you can apply your own ceramic coating if you are so inclined. There are many Youtube videos that step through the process, so you can watch them and see if you're up to it. There are also some next-gen DIY graphene oxide coatings that are even easier to apply now (such as 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating).

GvilleGuy likes this.