Dash Cam install.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by J.Dubs, Jun 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

Where’s the best place to pull constant and switched power? Can I use the fuse box?

24D31CF1-6F4C-4D3E-9477-4C15523879DB.jpeg B8EF3D51-C588-4429-B4E0-904CCF209128.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

J.Dubs and Puppethead like this.
  4. fusebox1.jpg
    I ended up using a spare slot 53 instead of sharing an existing circuit I will attach a picture explaining my logic there.

J.Dubs likes this.
  5. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

I also used empty slot F53 for the "AC" line, which is switched on and off with the car. I tried using F75 which is the open slot on the far right for my "Battery" line, because my camera has parking mode. Unfortunately that gets turned off after 10 minutes or so.

I haven't tried re-locating that to another slot; another person on the Electric MINI Facebook group looks like he tried using empty slot F48 for his parking mode and it apparently works. I'm guessing anything in that column F43-F48 should work for always on. He also looks like he used F49 for his "AC" mode.

6. quietlyspinach

I also find it interesting that in your photo, you have a green 30 fuse in your slot F43 while mine is blank. What trim level did you get? I have a 2022 Iconic.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

2022 Iconic as well

9. quietlyspinach

Interesting! I'm guessing the reason mine is missing is because I asked for the moonroof to be deleted. That's the only powered thing I think that I changed from the standard configuration.

10. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

I do have one of those, I didn't have an option.

11. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0538.jpg IMG_0537.jpg Complete

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your contributions! One thing that has me wary of “burying” the wires is breaking panels.

Would someone be able to walk me through the process of removing trim panels and fastening the wire so it is out of view?

14. Carsten Haase

Did you have to remove the windshield header trim piece or were you able to just tuck the wire between it and the windshield?

15. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

I just tuck it in there

Carsten Haase likes this.
  16. Carsten Haase

I'm starting my install but the fuse taps I have aren't long enough to fully seat. They make contact but are only about half inserted.

Is yours the same way or did you find a longer fuse tap that doesn't bottom out on the plastic walls on either side of the fuse?

J.Dubs likes this.
  17. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

I used these
    4 Types 12V Add-a-Circuit Adapter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085MGP931?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Carsten Haase likes this.
  18. Carsten Haase

Finished the front dashcam install! Still planning on doing the rear but am going to see how the Garmin dashcam mini does before ordering a second.

Step 1: Trim Removal
    This is the only piece necessary to remove and is super easy. It's held on by 3 metal clips and a tab in a hole at the bottom edge. Just pull it away from the dash, then slide it upwards a bit to get the tab out of the hole at the bottom.
    20210807_141343.jpg

Tab on the right. There's also a little edge that tucks behind the trim piece below it.
    20210807_141404.jpg

Step 2: Running the Wire
    The "hardest" part is fishing the wire from next to the glovebox through the gap between the window and A-pillar trim. I used a piece of solid wire to go from the window to next to the glovebox then taped the power cable to it to pull back through. There's plenty of space between the dash/A-pillar trim and the windshield.
    20210807_081219.jpg

The wire can then tuck between the windshield and the rest of the trim super easily
    20210807_132734.jpg

Step 3: Power Source
    I used fuse F53 just like everyone else has.
    20210807_141118.jpg

The fuse tap didn't seem to go in all the way so I chopped it up, removing the unnecessary lower fuse slot. I used the scraps I chopped off with a plastic welder (basically a funky shaped soldering iron) to close off the holes. Probably not necessary but only took a couple of minutes.
    20210806_200454.jpg

For the rear camera I'm planning to tap off the existing circuit for the 12V outlet. It'll probably require a bit more trim removal but hopefully will be close to as easy as the front was!

19. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I found a great video on removing trim pieces in the F56:

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's the scariest video I've ever watched!

GvilleGuy and polyphonic like this.
  21. fasttr

fasttr Member

Does anyone know if you can tap into wires in behind the rear view mirror? I do that on my current BMWs.

22. Carsten Haase

I'm sure there are wires up there that have 12V power but it's just so easy to run from the fuse box it would likely be more work to tap off the existing wiring...

23. fasttr

fasttr Member

Well you can buy these “taps” with thin probe ends that you just insert alongside OEM wires in an existing connector. Took less than 5 minutes on both my BMWs and no need to snake wires around. If anyone has a wiring diagram that shows switched power behind the mirror I’d appreciate it.