Auto Dimming Homelink Rear View Mirror

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by jayc1358, May 14, 2019.

1. jayc1358

jayc1358 Member

When I picked up my Niro EV I asked the salesman about getting an auto dimming homelink rear view mirror installed. He said he would check and let me know.
    He let me know today that there are none available. I was hoping I could get a part number at least for the version in the Premium trim.
    The mirror that I have in my EX trim is powered. It has buttons for emergency, information, and UVO so swapping that out for a homelink mirror should be a piece of cake.

Does anyone know what mirrors would be compatible? Maybe a 2018 Niro? If you ever did a search for parts for this car you would know that being brand new, there is no information on it and what is or is not compatible.

I know it is a long shot but if anyone knows I would appreciate it!

2. atc98092

atc98092 New Member

I've been trying to find one for my '19 Niro PHEV, but everything I've found so far says there isn't one. I think it's because our mirror has the UVO buttons, and the existing Homelink mirrors don't have that. There is a stand-alone Homelink transmitter available from Amazon for about $150, but I don't know if I'm going to bother. Easier (and cheaper) to just have a couple of garage door remotes in the car for the three doors I need to control.

3. Daniel Hall

Daniel Hall New Member

I'm in the market for a Niro PHEV & was also disappointed to learn that it is not offered with HomeLink.
    I'm not sure if I would be using EVO, so perhaps for those who don't use EV the aftermarket HL mirrors are still an option.
    The 2019 Niro EV does have an available auto-dimming HomeLink mirror. I would think one could purchase this from a Kia dealer & retrofitted.

4. atc98092

atc98092 New Member

Yea, I'm surprised that Kia told me there's no Homelink mirror for the PHEV because of EVO, but the EV model has one. Doesn't make any sense.

5. Daniel Hall

Daniel Hall New Member

I checked my local dealer today who had his parts guy check so hopefully this info is accurate.
    The Niro BEV has a different wiring harness than the PHEV or HEV so you can't just the the BEV mirror & mount it to the other two. That said, my guess is the only difference is power for the HL function & a competent car person could probably tap power from an number of12V sources in the car & run a wire up to the mirror.

Regarding UVO & Homelink in the Niro. The AD homelink mirror in the Optima also is part of the UVO function. The Niro has no UVO function associated with its mirror. Niro UVO electronics are in the head unit.

I'm not sure where that leaves me but I am going to check on the Amazon to see if the Gentex's mirrors will work.

6. RDA

RDA Member

That's why i bought mine with the home link already installed. I don't think you will find one that works until Kia decides to offer it as an after market product. Not all the EX Premiums had it installed, which I don't understand. If it wasn't in there you got a $200.00 credit. You would think for the $200.00 they would have put it in all the editions but maybe they had a parts shortage. Same with the memory seats. They have them in the cars in Canada but not in the US.