2024 MINI Cooper SE Prototype Test Drive

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by teslarati97, Mar 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

ThomasGeigerCar reports EV (Ora) and ICE platforms different but same "hood scoop" (above the hood as Thomas describes). Possibly two EV models with a 40kWh/165hp and 50kWh/225hp.

Also BEV 5 door + BEV Countryman is in the works - presumably under the Ora platform (Cat, Good Cat, etc.)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    MichaelC, JonR and CsD like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wait, the "S" will have 165 hp and the "SE" will have 225 hp? Will there then be both an ICE MINI Cooper S and an electric MINI Cooper S? Unless MINI wants the word "Chinese" to be included in any discussion of old and new electric MINI Coopers, I think they should come up with completely new designations for the Chinese MINI Electrics.

We don't know how much the "Chinese SE" will weigh, but if Great Wall Motors can come up with a 225-hp "engine" perhaps it will be quicker than the "Oxford SE." Because it will be made in China, the "Chinese SE" will be much less expensive than the "Oxford SE," right?

It's interesting that the pre-production prototypes for the "Oxford SE" had no hood scoop, but the pre-production prototypes for the "Chinese SE" have a hood scoop. Then the production "Oxford SE" was released with a hood scoop while in the only photo of an un-camouflaged "Chinese SE" the car has no hood scoop.

Cindy B likes this.
  4. teslarati97

If Ora is manufacturing the car in China, it will likely be a LFP battery pack instead of NCM which could require about 33% more weight (150wh/kg LFP vs 200wh/kg NCM). So if you want to go to 40kWh you would have to increase the existing 32.6kWh pack by 22% and 1.33x the weight.

Even estimating at 200wh/kg, that would work out to roughly 360lbs for the current Cooper SE battery pack plus the battery tray + cooling + glycol (let's say 100 lbs). So that could work out to 584lbs for the 40kWh or 224lbs extra? We are only guessing right now.

insightman likes this.
  5. CorgiCanoe

CorgiCanoe Member

Check out all that snow that's being kicked up and stuck to the back of it. With it being a similar shape to the current model, it's no wonder folks in another thread have been commenting on how muddy the back gets!

MichaelC likes this.
  6. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

My predictions:
    The starting price for the base battery and motor will be $29.9k
    The starting price for the larger battery and motor will be $35.9k
    The car will be slightly heavier than the current one, then larger battery model maybe 300lb more on top.
    The base motor and battery version will get 145-150 miles EPA range but will be slower than the current SE, I’d guess a claimed 7.5 to 60mph.
    The more powerful motor and larger battery will get 190-200 miles of range and do 0-60 in a claimed 6.5 or less.
    DC fast charge rate on the base battery will be 100kW and 125kW on the large battery.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Let's hope MINI doesn't go the way of the rear-wiperless Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5.

9. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

Mini’s Instagram today is suggesting an E and SE model with range up to 400km WLTP.

10. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

I like the shorter overhangs, longer wheelbase. I like that it looks like a Mini. But right now I'm as enthusiastic for buying a car mfg'd in China as I would one in Russia. Two years from now?

Cindy B and Fivetones like this.
  11. insightman

The return of the MINI-E? That's a little better than "S" and "SE," but I still think they should come up with new designations to make it easier to distinguish the old and new without having to add the word "Chinese" whenever mentioning the new one.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Interestingly, according to this article that quotes docs from China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), Ora had initially used LFP batteries in the standard-range version of the Good Cat and NCM batteries in the long-range version. But, as of last summer, they transitioned to LFP batteries across both versions. So it does seem likely that the upcoming Mini electric will feature LFP batteries.

Regarding weight, here's a comparison of today's SE vs. the 2021 China-spec Ora Good Cat (as compared to the soon-to-be-launched UK-spec model):
    • 2023 Mini Cooper SE curb weight: 3,143 lbs
    • 2021 Ora Good Cat—Standard Range curb weight: 3,428 lbs (FYI: The battery in the standard range is spec'd at 49.9 kWh (usable), delivering 249 miles of range, I assume using the WLTP cycle)
    • 2021 Ora Good Cat—Long Range curb weight: 3,547 lbs (FYI: The battery in the long range is spec'd at 57.7 kWh (usable), delivering 311 miles of range)
    It's worth noting that the Good Cat is a 5-door vehicle, and it's quite a bit longer (166.7" for the Good Cat vs. 151.4" for today's SE—this is a huge difference!) and taller (62.8" vs. 56.4") than today's Mini. And the difference in length will be even greater in comparison to the 2024 Mini electric, as it's been established that the new Mini electric will be shorter than today's car (while featuring a longer wheelbase).

This is all conjecture, but the available data suggests that the weight difference between today's SE and the 2024 Mini electric may not be as big as we've assumed given the significant increase in range that's expected. If we use the standard range Good Cat as our baseline for comparison, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the weight of the 2024 Mini electric will be on par with the weight of today's SE.

@teslarati97 There is data available on battery weight. According to EVSpecifications, your estimate of 200kg for the weight of the battery in today's SE is spot on. And, according to the same MIIT docs cited above, the weight of the battery in the standard range Good Cat (49.9 kWh) is 394kg. That comes to a difference of 194kg/~428lbs (I'm assuming that both of these figures are for the battery packs alone and don't include the tray or associated cooling gubbins).

Clearly, the delta in battery weight is significant, but I think the key difference is that the 2024 Mini electric will be built as a pure electric model as opposed to today's Cooper SE, which is an ICE platform that's been modified to support an electric powerplant and drivetrain. So I don't think we can use the weight of today's car minus the battery as a fixed variable when we try to project the weight of the 2024 Mini electric. Yes, the new battery will be significantly heavier. But the car surrounding it will very likely be lighter, so the net difference in weight as compared to today's SE might be quite small. But, as you noted, we're really just guessing at this point.

Re: the power output of the motors cited in the video, and specifically the suggestion that there will be an SE with 225 horsepower, this would be a really elementary mistake, but I'm wondering if the presenter might have gotten confused with the torque figure for the motor? The base motor in the Ora Good Cat produces 210 newton meters of torque, and it seems within the realm of possibility that the base 2024 Mini electric features a revised motor with something in the neighborhood of 225 N m of torque?

Alternatively, perhaps the rumored Electric JCW will indeed feature a 225 hp motor? It seems unlikely to me that Mini/Great Wall would deliver this much of a bump in performance, but, if it is the case, this up-rated motor would almost certainly trail the initial launch by some time.

wessy, MichaelC and Carsten Haase like this.
  14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I think that's part of the camouflage, just like the circular rings around the headlights are pasted on top of the camouflage.

This does look a lot better than the other photos, although the interior is pretty barebones at the moment. I liked the "bigger on the inside" comment, sort of a TARDIS reference. And no speed limiting is interesting.

MichaelC likes this.
  15. teslarati97

Honestly the front tire traction is at the limit for the current Cooper SE. They would have to dual motor AWD at this rate.

Range is perfectly acceptable already in the Cooper SE, but I have the luxury of a multi vehicle household.

Cindy B likes this.
  16. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Definitely agree! I've made many of the same points in various other threads. I think many underestimate the advantage of a dedicated EV chassis and the amount of unnecessary structure/weight in conversions (like the giant tube frame around the motor/electronics for crash safety)

There was a classic Mini conversion I posted a week ago with the same battery capacity, more power, and less weight than the current SE done by a team of a couple of people.

This snowmobile can fit almost an entire MINI battery and only weighs 600lbs!
    Screen-Shot-2019-06-11-at-9.11.28-AM.jpg

MINI has the tech and capability to deliver a 200+ mile EV in a smaller/lighter/faster package if they choose to.

wessy and kicksology like this.
  17. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

While we're all speculating: I wonder if the battery pack size is tied to the model/motor power, or if you could spec a 40 kWh, 225 hp (to mix systems) version?

insightman likes this.
  18. I'm of the opinion that BMW/Mini needs to embrace the sports car aspect of the car of the future. Today's Mini is just a local commuter/run about car. If you try to embrace it as a sports car (as I initially did) and then think about how you would use it you soon understand it's limits in that category. Mini has the chance to really push the envelope of a performance version to feed this niche market that no one else is at the moment. Yes Tesla's are much faster but they are in a different category.

GetOffYourGas and wessy like this.
  19. Actually it is not if you want do more with it than just run to grocery store or commute your 40mi to work.

20. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

This article suggests the base model will have a 40kW battery suitable for approximately 186miles range with a motor equivalent to 180bhp, similar to the current SE. The higher spec Mini will have a 50kW usable battery suitable for 250 miles, and a 215bhp motor. Even with the extra 34bhp over the current SE, with a 40% bigger battery I can’t see it being quite as nippy as the current car. Power to weight ratio is going to drop.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/mini/electric/1318/new-mini-electric-prototype-ride-ahead-of-2023-launch

wessy and insightman like this.
  21. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

There's always hope for a JCW E

wessy likes this.
  22. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

That would be a 19% increase in power. Even with a larger battery, it seems unlikely that a smaller, purpose-built EV would be 19% heavier than the current SE.

wessy likes this.
  23. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

From the article:
    “It is important for us that our fans like to drive it,” he says, while explaining that the new platform has allowed a better centre of gravity and a slight reduction in weight. “We have a larger, wider track and wheelbase to make it more comfortable. With the centre of gravity we can make it more agile than the last one; it feels more playful.”

If everything they’re saying in that article comes true, and it’s really a shorter body with more range, more space inside, and more power, that would be a dream car. Hopefully they’ll sell it in the US

wessy likes this.