2023 Niro overhead light panel removal

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Pawnbroker, Dec 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pawnbroker

Pawnbroker New Member

Does anyone know how to remove the overhead light panel that is just behind the rear view mirror without breaking it on 2023 Niro? I have tried to pry it out with plastic auto panel tools but it seems to be firmly in place. Perhaps there is a certain procedure necessary to remove it? Any educated help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pawnbroker

Pawnbroker New Member

Follow up for those who may be interested. I was able to get the panel to snap free. The method that worked for me was to pry the rear portion loose first and then pull with sufficient force to unsnap the two push posts on the front portion of the panel and it came completely free without any damage. My reason for wanting to do this is to locate a power source for both my dashcam and my Uniden Homepatrol 2 scanner that are located on windshield suction cups. Stealing power from the overhead lamp source has two advantages, first the power comes on with the unlocking of the vehicle and will stay on as long as the ignition is on, after ignition is turned off, power will time out and turn off automatically in 30 seconds. This also eliminates the need for unsightly cables running to the accessory power outlets in the center console.

4. tetatdo

tetatdo New Member

5. tetatdo

tetatdo New Member

I too am trying to find a power source for a dash cam. I tapped into the rain sensor but it isnt too happy, when i start the car, the wipers cycle.

Were you able to tap into a power source from the light panel?

Does the plug for the homelink mirror exist there?

6. spazstic

spazstic New Member

There's no plug for the mirror. You can follow my write-up on how to wire one in though. There is switched and constant power there.
    Auto Dimming Homelink Rear View Mirror | Inside EVS Forum

7. To remove this ad click here.