10,500km Kona to California

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Julian Egelstaff, Jun 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Julian Egelstaff

Julian Egelstaff New Member

Hello,

Last year, I drove my 2021 Kona Electric from Detroit, to San Francisco, then north to BC and back home to Toronto. I've made an interactive map with all the stops and the charging details: http://www.yourturn.ca/ev/

Hopefully it's educational for people who still don't understand about EVs and range and charging. But also I thought other EV drivers might find it interesting.

Some stats:
    • 10,583km traveled
    • 1,765 kWh used
    • 16.7 kWh / 100km
    • $426.03 paid for charging (Canadian dollars. Almost half the electricity was free, mostly from hotels, but Electrify America also happened to have some free days going on during the trip)
    • 542kg CO2 emitted from generating the electricity we used (that one's a bit complicated, but it's based on the officially published amounts of CO2 per kWh in each state and province we drove through)
    All the data is available in a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lm0ep3QKGgEXvPkG-6B_s5mkuO44Tn_irfRsE9QWqSs/edit#gid=0

Of special interest to Kona drivers might be the time we maxed out the dashboard counter for power regeneration: http://www.yourturn.ca/ev/#/Seattle-Kelowna Click the "Read more..." link.

Thanks for reading, happy driving,
    --Julian

Devhead, navguy12, IanRR and 7 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. HyperSmiler

HyperSmiler New Member

Thanks very much for posting this. I find it fascinating as I have only had my Kona Ev a short time and therefore have not had the opportunity for any lengthy road trips

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Julian Egelstaff

Cool. Well rest assured, with a Kona a long road trip is entirely possible. You just want to make sure you plan out where you're going to charge. I found the Plugshare app is terrific for this purpose.
    --Julian

5. Beautiful, interactive graphic. Kudos

Does your Kona have ventilated seats?

6. Julian Egelstaff

Thank you. :) No, I have the Preferred model, the middle one, no ventilated seats or sunroof.
    --Julian

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Super report, Julian. I will use it to "sell" electric to non-believers. Thank you!

9. I’m curious the average wait time between charging assuming fast charging during the driving days?

10. Jebcidic

Jebcidic New Member

Hah, well good luck. I tried to convince my brother-in-law (on his second prius believe it or not!) and you know what he objected to? The wait times! He did not want to wait at all at "the pump" (so to speak), not even 10 minutes. I tried to explain the benefits of taking a break, going for a walk, grabbing a coffee, or doing lunch while charging, but he wouldn't have any of it.

11. Julian Egelstaff

So silly. This is only relevant on a road trip. During regular driving the car charges while you're doing something else, like sleeping! Also, I guess he never stops for meals?!

He spends more time waiting for gas at a pump then I ever spend waiting for charging, other than on a road trip.
    --Julian

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Julian Egelstaff

Thanks :) Demystifing the process was my main goal. I hope it helps.
    --Julian

14. Julian Egelstaff

The charging time on the road was usually between 30 minutes and an hour. And most of the time we were either having a meal, or stretching our legs and having a snack or something. The Kona can easily go over 200 km in this type of driving and personally after 200 kilometers I want a break.

All the data is available on a spreadsheet that you can access under Data in the menu: http://yourturn.ca/ev/#/Data So you could actually work out the exact average charging time.
    --Julian

navguy12 likes this.
  15. Alberto Marty

Alberto Marty New Member

Thank you for your excellent work. Keep going!

16. Cindi McCullough

Cindi McCullough New Member

This is good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to document all this data!!
    Can you tell me what App you used to locate the chargers?
    I’m planning at trip to Utah from Texas but feel the anxiety building

17. BigBuckeye

BigBuckeye New Member

18. BigBuckeye

BigBuckeye New Member

I really enjoyed the method of presenting your story! Well done! I look forward to your next trip.

19. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Outstanding information.

One observation: row six of your spreadsheet, your comment making mention of uploading more than the stated capacity of the car’s battery pack.

There are always losses between what is pushed from the grid and what gets dumped into the battery.

Two long term examples:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/mikes-wifes-monthly-kona-ev-efficiency-report.9455/

https://www.teslaownersonline.com/threads/mikes-monthly-model-3-efficiency-report.8945/post-341817

Cheers.

20. That's a fantastic map with really useful info.

I had sort of dismissed the hotel charging idea, but using your data and doing some math to compare with a gas car road trip it starts to make some sense. We live on Vancouver Island and my wife wants to visit a friend in Santa Cruz, California. While she managed one trip to Seattle and back, there was a fair bit of stress about charging (and costs). But a really rough calculation says our gas car would burn about $450 (CDN) in gas for a return trip to Santa Cruz and there would need to be one overnight stop each way anyway. Doing the drive slower and doing two night at hotels each way would probably make the overall cost not all that different. I think you may have made her very happy!

21. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The 2019 Canadian emissions data is not quite current as Saskatchewan and particularly Alberta have converted their coal plants to natural gas. Coal on average is around 2.23 pounds of CO2/kWh and natural gas is about 0.91 pounds of CO2/kWh.

Nevertheless it's clear countries should transition to carbon-neutral nuclear power plants and the secret to residential net zero homes is burning wood and biomass like they did pre-1700s thanks to the carbon loophole.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  22. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

Fascinating, and helpful... thanks for posting!

23. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Do you realize you don't have a Spare Tire in your Car? My friend just tried driving from California to Dallas in her Brand New BMW Gas car. Also like many new cars, no spare. She had a blowout about 200 miles from Dallas and could not get a new tire anywhere between where she was and Dallas. Even Walmart did not have a tire that would fit. She had to buy a tire with the rim from the BMW Dealer in Dallas and have a friend deliver it because it was faster than using UPS or another service.

According to AAA, 30 percent of new cars don’t come with a spare as of 2022. I tried buying a donut spare for my 2021 Kona EV and no one had any. Not even the dealers. My only option was to buy a full-size tire which would mean I had no room in my trunk and had to put the back seats down. Here is a note I copied off a website advertising KONA tires for Non EV cars. ***KONA EV OWNERS *** "Mounted donut spare only works on the Kona EV front wheels, will not work for back wheels. If the flat is on the rear the front tire needs to be moved to the back and the spare put on the front. Does not fit in the storage compartment". I checked with my Hyundai Dealer and they said the Kona Gas Model Tires won't fit on the EV Models because the holes don't line up.

Here is another tidbit of info. If you are counting on Hyundai Road Service which is provided free with your car, they will not repair your tire and they don't carry spares. They will only Tow your car to the Nearest Hyundai Dealer even if there is a Tire Store across the street or one block away. If the breakdown is at night or if you arrive at the dealers after the service dept is closed, you will have to wait until morning for the service dept to open. If you are a AAA Member like I am, the tow truck driver will tow you to the nearest tire store or to your home if it's not too far away. As for me, I won't be taking any long trips in my EV. Not that I wouldn't like to, it's just that without a spare and having to wait hours (or overnight) to charge, is too much of a hassle for me.

electriceddy likes this.