“Smart Cruise Control Conditions Not Met”?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by LBourgon, Aug 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LBourgon

LBourgon New Member

Hi Everyone,

on my 2020 Kona Ultimate, I get this intermittent problem with the cruise control. No matter the conditions (nice weather, daytime, no traffic in front of me, speed limit or below, etc) it’s always a role of dice whether the cruise control will work or not. Sometimes it works fine, but as often as not, I get this “Smart Cruise Control Conditions Not Met” message. Nothing I do can get it to work, short of turning off the car for more than a few minutes.

Last weekend, during a long drive from Quebec to Ontario, it was working fine. When I came up to a construction zone, I hit the Cancel button. After the construction zone, I went to set the speed again, and got the dreaded message. Other times, it’ll happen right from the start. I’ll try to set it for the first time after hitting the road and boom, there’s the message again.

Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts? Understandably, the dealer won’t do anything because they’ve never been able to reproduce the fault.

Thanks,

Luc

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You have to tap the brakes to get it to work. For some reason the smart cruise needs to see brake activity within a certain time frame. If you haven't touched the brakes it will time out cruise.

Freddy and Wildeyed like this.
  4. LBourgon

LBourgon New Member

No!? That’s it? The dealer didn’t even know this. I’ll need to try that next time. Kind of strange functionality though. If you’re driving down the highway, why would you need to tap the brakes?
    Thanks for the info. Will definitely try that.

EVatLast likes this.
  5. Yes it is a strange one. I can't even think of a good reason they would tie smart cruise functionality to brake use.

6. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

It’s never happened to me and I use it a lot, and never tap the brake. Of course if you accidentally press the button up to resume instead of set after cancelling, you would get that message, but I assume you know that. Cancel button is not the same as stopping cruise with brake tap. Once you cancel using button, you have to reset, but if you use brake to temporarily cancel CC, you can then press lever to resume to resume.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Canada Dan likes this.