Adaptive Cruse Control

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lars, May 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. From time to time, seemingly randomly, I can't activate the adaptive cruse.
    After pressing the activate button on the steering wheel, when trying to set the desired speed I get a message about some sort of "conditions" are present (or absent?) and active cruse control cannot be activated. Can't recall the exact wording - the message stays up for a few seconds.

I can't figure out WHAT are these "conditions". (Maybe wrong angle of my wife's NIMBUS2000 flying broom lashed to the roof rack?)

It happens randomly on different roads, different trips with or without any other traffic, no car in front of you, just driving on the highway between 75 and 120km/h. I learned that the challenge is patience. Because trying it again after a few miles/kilometres/minutes (take your pick), no stopping, just driving the cruse will accept the speed set command and all will work fine.

Any idea?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mine does that when it is raining, maybe your sensors are dirty.

4. My does it in sunshine! Never tried it in the rain.

5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

The only time that happens on my Kona is my fault ... I accidentally move the lever "up" rather than "down." No issues when I do it correctly. Cheers, Steve

6. It often means that you have not used the brake pedal yet during that particular drive. Try tapping the brakes and then hitting the button again. I use the regen paddles for stopping and almost never use the brakes. It happens to me all the time.

John Lumsden, Lars and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hm ...... not in my case. It was one of the first things I checked.

9. Thanks!!! Interesting possibility. Next time I will try it! :)

I am addicted to REGEN, I wish it would stop the car without pulling up that silly left paddle. I very rarely use the breaks. I love to slowly roll into red lights using regen until the lights change. If I am 'coming in too long' I obviously break! It also turns on my break lights to show the guy behind me that I am stopping.

Using the left paddle to complete stop will loose the crawl from stop ... oh well. There should be no paddles in a car, they belong to boats! There could be a REGEN ON/OFF switch if there need to be one. How did the old folks who drove horses changed to drive cars without HORSE ON/OFF or WHIP/ACCELERATOR switch? ;)

Wildeyed likes this.
  10. Wildeyed is on to it. My Owners Manual says "Information:
    During normal cruise control operation, when the SET switch is activated or reactivated after applying the brakes, the cruise control will energize after approximately 3 seconds. This delay is normal.
    Before activating the cruise control function the system will check to verify that the brake switch is operating normally. Depress the brake pedal at least once after pressing the POWER button to the ON position or starting the vehicle."

Lars, Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.
  11. Did it ever occur to the Hyundai engineers to make a message for that situation saying "Tap brake pedal to validate cruise control"?

Andy Murray, shomantian, Lars and 3 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rybot

Rybot New Member

I've had the same issue and allowing the car to slow to about 50-60km/h seems to fix the problem - even without using the brakes. With that being said, next time it occurs, I'll tap the brakes to see if there's any difference.

Wildeyed likes this.
  14. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I've had this happen several times. I never was aware about the "braking" thing ... Next time this occurs, I'll give that a try. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bill Carter and Wildeyed like this.
  15. Right on! Why would anyone think of that - eh?

16. Definitely not the case with my car. I actually tested that and it made no difference if I used the brake or not.

17. I just had a somewhat weird experience.

I got all the pending software service done yesterday. That's every TSB and recall issued since last fall. Today I was doing highway driving and engaged the adaptive cruise control and, much to my surprise, it's behaving in all new ways. If I set the speed to 100kph but have my foot resting on the accelerator the car will both increase AND/OR decrease the speed commensurate with my pedal input. Push harder and I can exceed the cruise settings as usual BUT if I push, but softly, the speed actually will DROP well below the cruise setting. That is new, never happened before. Previously pedal input was totally ignored UNLESS I exceeded the preset at which point the car would accelerate. When I lifted my foot the car would then decelerate until dropping to the preset speed at which point the cruise control would resume smoothly.
    Also, when the cruise is set at (say 110kph) and the traffic slows for whatever reason, I can no longer hit "set" at a lower speed and have the cruise settings reset to the lower speed. I actually have to cancel the original setting and then hit "set" at the new, lower speed before it will lock in.

Also, the "pulsing" sensation that previously happened when manually accelerating beyond the cruise preset now appears to be gone.

These are new and not particularly great or even understandable changes. Has anyone else noticed this? None of the software updates flagged anything about affecting cruise control so I'm really confused as to why things changed so radically.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  18. My car also has all the updates. The adaptive cruse works exactly as you describe. Unless of course it decided that 'some condition' is missing as discussed above.

The deceleration, below set cruse speed, is weird but one can get used to it. Also when you lift your foot off the accelerator the car 'kicks into overdrive' to reach the set speed.

Comparing the adaptive cruse behaviour to my Prius, the Prius worked exactly as one expected. It even started the car, after coming to a complete stop, when the car in front started to roll. But he Prius auto cruse was an 'aggressive driver'. It always started to break a bit too late - my taste anyway - when the traffic slowed down regardless how the following distance was set.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  19. The problem occurred a couple of days back. With the Cruse button already pressed, the auto cruse would not kick in. So while rolling at around 80km/h I touched the break pedal with feather light feet. The breaks kicked in - literally we had a small, unexpected jolt. :eek:
    After that there was no problem to set the auto cruse. But my physics teacher told us in Grade 7 that "one should never rely on the results of one experiment". So when the situation presents itself next time I will repeat the test.

It would be interesting to know if this trick works for others. Let us know.

20. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi Lars, since my original post, it happened to me yesterday. Beautiful sunshine, no cars in front, SCC would not allow me to set the speed. I waited up to 5 minutes and re-tried multiple times. It reactivated when I purposely stopped, turned off the Kona, re-started and worked flawlessly just like nothing happened. Software bug, no doubt.

21. Did you try tapping the brakes?

22. Happened to me last week again. I just tapped on the break, at 85km/h my wife was not pleased :eek:, but it solved the problem. I agree it is a software bug!

23. It's a feature.

Bill Carter likes this.