Video - Ioniq 6 Ultimate In Depth Review

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 6' started by Andre Laurence, May 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. No, I got the AWD Ultimate. Range in the summer was as high as 560 kms. But the big diff is the fast charging when on a trip. Kinda nice when it finishes charging before you can finish your fast food bite. Even have to rush a pee sometimes. Should mention that in ECO mode (which I use most of the time), the car is only RWD (unlike the I5), so you get extra efficiency with that. Still has plenty of power in that mode. But sometimes to show off to friends, I put it in Sport mode, and holy crap, your head will fly back if you are not ready for it. It does 0-60 in 4.3 secs.

BTW, it has a lot of room for a sedan, esp in the rear seat area. I have taken friends for a ride, and they commented that it feels like a limo back there. Put one side seat down, and you can pack quite a bit in there. However trunk is not big, and frunk is really small. It is fairly long car, though, longer than the I5 even.

But for travelling the I6 is way out in front of every other EV.
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-charging.html

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info
    I didn't know that about using eco and rwd.
    Did Ur ultimate awd come with 18" wheels.

4. No, came with the 20" wheels. 18s supposed to be more efficient. But am quite happy with what I have.

5. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

I picked up an I6 today.
    It is light years ahead of the VW iD4. Especially on the software side.
    It’s funny saying that because I6 are probably light years behind Tesla.
    Very smooth nice ride.
    Of course if I start having issues I will start bad mouthing it like the VW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. XtsKonaTrooper

Sat in one today and I'm liking it alot. Hehe
    Sorry to pick ur brain but does it have battery preconditioning? Cuz I couldn't find it, in the menus or even nav area.
    The sales guy wasn't super knowledgeable, I knew more hehe..but he said v2l adapter is prolly about 150 fm hyundai.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes, it does. That is a big thing in the winter. Just have to tell it about 1/2 hour in advance the station you are going to and will be sure to have your battery nice and toasty warm.

And I have a V2L adapter, not from Hyundai. I need it because where I live we are prone to power outages with the winter wind storms. There is also an inside V2L under the rear seat, no adapter required. No wind storms so far, but we know they are coming. Was +14C here today. Only Whistler has good skiing right now, but it is a gong show there now with the crowds and line-ups.

9. XtsKonaTrooper

Thanks for that info..I tried to see it by setting an ev destination but because wasn't activated , it wouldn't allow it. Having that prevonditioning is a bonus imo.
    I did notice the V2L outlet in the back seat, so that really would work fine fir me, if I really need it.
    I could see myself using that Summons feature in tight parking spots and just simply easy entry.
    Bjorns banana box test is quite impressive for the i6 too...21 boxes hehe

R P likes this.
  10. Both my EVs have that remote park, but have never used it yet, other than some brief testing. Still not sure I trust it not to hit something.

11. XtsKonaTrooper

I think with practice, I'd trust the sensors hehe. With my 5 series Beemer, it has parking assistance and if I'm feeling lazy and in a quiet parking lot, I'll let the car park itself while I'm in it. Hehe

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yeah, if I am looking for new things to learn with my I6, I might try it. But I don't like parking in tight spots regardless for fear of door dents/scratches. I can see where it might be useful if I want to have the driver side close to a building or fence.

14. And oh, for tight parking anywhere incl my garage those 360 overhead view cameras sure are great. Now don't have to open my doors any more after parking to see if I am in the middle of the white lines in a stall.

15. XtsKonaTrooper

I get ya...my 530e has that and I like using it, to know I'm centered in the spot.
    My favorite feature is adaptive cruise, as I've had a few situations where it saved my butt or damage.

16. That reminds me of the I6 adaptive cruise and lane centering. There is also a separate button for lane centering without cruise control. But it really holds a lane well, around curves, and even slows down for the sharp ones. Just need to nudge the wheel every couple minutes or so, to get rid of the nag. Works very well. And oh, it will change lanes by itself, too. Just put on your signal and it will do it for you when it is safe. It is a little slow at it, but very smooth.

17. XtsKonaTrooper

Cool
    I seen in the reviews it holds LKA quite well and prolly better then the Kona. My 530e is a little better at it, then my Kona but lacks holding it, during lane change. So that would be a nice bonus. I did find my 19 Kona wasn't the greatest at corners.
    A little disappointed, it appears indicators don't show up in the HUD.

18. They keep improving these driver assist features on new models. I suspect the 2024 Kona will be similar to the I5/I6 in that respect.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  19. Had a big dump of snow last few days on the mountains, so took the I6 up to the Manning Park ski hill. Snowed like crazy last 80 kms. Had to learn how to properly drive the Ioniq 6 in snow. While it is AWD, it is rear wheel biased. Problem with that, is on the uphills the rears liked to slip a bit and tried to fishtail, which I had to quickly arrest. And on the downhills, had to adjust regen from 3 to 1, again with the rears breaking loose and trying to fishtail. I then put the car into Snow drive mode, which engages fulltime AWD. That fixed it, drove straight as an arrow after that, basically like the Solterra last year in the same conditions. Car was pushing snow in the parking lot, but not even close to getting stuck. So even with just the OEMs, it passed the snow test for me.

I did notice though that range was really cut on the snow part esp the last 9 kms to the top which was really steep. I saw as high 45kWh/100 kms then while I remember last year highest I saw on the Solterra was 29. I think it was due to the wide 245 track creating more drag and resistance, as well as the underside pushing snow (not much clearance as a sedan) with just two tracks for the wheels. The Solterra track width is 235 and much higher clearance. Didn't see another sedan or EV in the parking lot.

Charged on the way back. Set my charger destination about 1/2 hour ahead, but did not notice if it helped or not. OAT was about -7C. Charge started at 129 kW at the free Chevron charger. There was an I5 there and he said his started at 159kW. So how do you tell if the pre-conditioning is working or not?

electriceddy and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  20. XtsKonaTrooper

Thanks for the feedback.
    I seen a winter video with the I6 vs an Audi and a bmw i4.
    Not in Snow mode the i6 showed similar results going up steep inclines like you experienced. Once Snow mode was enabled , a whole different beast.
    Acceleration, braking, handling in deep snow, the i6 did pretty good
    For the life of me, I can't even find the youtube video now.
    As for the preconditioning, the coil will show up to the left of the regen area on bottom of the cluster..
    When I tried it at the dealer, I picked the ev charging station...several minutes later, bottom of the cluster flashed "battery conditioning enabled" or words to that effect. Then the red coil showed up. As the car wasn't super cold about 10 mins later, the screen flashed "battery conditioning complete" and the coil disappeared.
    I'm doing a 4hr return highway run tm, to pick up my brother, to comeback for a visit.
    On my way back, I'll be playing with the preconditioning and seeing what kind of range I get overall.
    Should be fun. Hehe

electriceddy likes this.
  21. Hmmm, will have to look for that. Maybe I should read the manual, too...:oops:

Yes, will be interested in your results with preconditioning.

22. XtsKonaTrooper

There's a ton of info in the manual. Hehe
    I've been reading it on coffee table tablet...but I took the paper copy out of the car tonight, to read more and it will be alot easier to flip from section to section.
    Tm Temps for my drive will be around 1c and mix of heavy rain and then poss snow.
    I'm enjoying looking at full range now, as it's sitting at 535km but only got approx 70km on the car. Hehe

R P likes this.
  23. In addition to above mention of coil icon, it may also be observed operating using the battery care screen:
    [​IMG]

R P and XtsKonaTrooper like this.